Eagles WR depth chart: Quez Watkins set to make things difficult for Greg Ward

time2rock

Eagles WR depth chart: Quez Watkins set to make things difficult for Greg Ward

Quez-Watkins-Greg-Ward-depth-chart.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Glenn Erby 

August 13, 2021 11:08 am ET

The arrival of Nick Sirianni to the Eagles as the organization’s head coach provided a clean slate for every player on the roster.

Quez Watkins has taken his opportunity and he’s set to shake up the Philadelphia depth chart after an electric performance against Pittsburgh in the preseason opener.

We examine the wide receiver room and where things stand, specifically how Watkin’s performance will impact Greg Ward.

Ward had been the Eagles’ slot receiver for the past three years, but he’s also among the league leaders in the shortest routes run by a wide receiver. Watkins appears to have passed Ward on the depth chart, and Jalen Reagor’s willingness to take reps out of the slot may have pushed the former quarterback down the depth chart even further.

Travis Fulgham will have a prominent role on the outside and he’ll likely slide into Reagor or DeVonta Smith’s role at the X or Z, with both players able to function in the slot as well.

Watkins emergence could leave the final roster spot at receiver down to Arcega-Whiteside or John Hightower.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/13/philadelphia-eagles-quez-watkins-breakout-performance-greg-ward-roster-bubble/?fbclid=IwAR2a2xe6uZG5uF_Ufwb9Oe8e9iprwQhqrTppKSyjZuyhEgGNxXM_lIwIR-8

I don't think the emergence of Watkins threatens Ward ... I think Reagor does.  Watkins seems to be in position to threaten Fulgham's spot as the starting outside WR opposite Smith (and likely JJAW's spot on the final 53).  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

I don't think the emergence of Watkins threatens Ward ... I think Reagor does.  Watkins seems to be in position to threaten Fulgham's spot as the starting outside WR opposite Smith (and likely JJAW's spot on the final 53).  

I think JJAW is the biggest threat to JJAW’s spot on the roster. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy said:

I think JJAW is the biggest threat to JJAW’s spot on the roster. 

Yup, JJAW isn't making the roster, despite the medias attempts to create some sort of suspense.

Smith Fulgham reagor Watkins look to be the locks the question is do they keep 6 or just 5 and if just 5 is the 5th dependable unspectacular Ward or the deep speed upside of hightower?

Seeing as hightower is hurt again, I'd guess they'd keep ward and try and stash hightower or maybe even pup him or just flat out cut him.

• Like 1

I know Ward is limited but I also think he's the kind of player this roster, and QB, really needs right now. He's dependable, he's reliable, he's a safe pair of hands and he's proven he can produce in the NFL. I think Hurts needs that to be honest. 

Smith, Reagor, Fulgham, Watkins, and Ward are locks. I don't expect us to begin the season with 6 WRs (unless we trade Ertz.)

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I know Ward is limited but I also think he's the kind of player this roster, and QB, really needs right now. He's dependable, he's reliable, he's a safe pair of hands and he's proven he can produce in the NFL. I think Hurts needs that to be honest. 

He should and will make the roster, he just won’t be starting. Should be Watkins and Smith outside, with Reagor in the slot. Fulgham and Ward round out the top 5. Hightower is the one that has to earn that 6th spot, assuming they keep 6. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nipples said:

He should and will make the roster, he just won’t be starting. Should be Watkins and Smith outside, with Reagor in the slot. Fulgham and Ward round out the top 5. Hightower is the one that has to earn that 6th spot, assuming they keep 6. 

So you think JJAW is going to be cut this year then?

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So you think JJAW is going to be cut this year then?

Yes. He’s gone. 

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Not yet though?

Well they’ll keep him until final cuts obviously but I see little chance of him making the roster. The fact that he was playing well into the fourth quarter tells me a lot. 

I don't see why Fulgham is a lock to make the roster and I definitely don't see why he's even in the conversation as a starting WR.

I think Smith needs to be the X with Watkins and Reagor mixing it up between slot and Z together.  Ward can mop up in the slot when they need someone a little more reliable than the kids to stand in the right place and run the right route.  I just see Fulgham as deep insurance at X if Smith goes down...which happens to be now.

7 hours ago, eagle45 said:

I don't see why Fulgham is a lock to make the roster and I definitely don't see why he's even in the conversation as a starting WR.

I think Smith needs to be the X with Watkins and Reagor mixing it up between slot and Z together.  Ward can mop up in the slot when they need someone a little more reliable than the kids to stand in the right place and run the right route.  I just see Fulgham as deep insurance at X if Smith goes down...which happens to be now.

He’s not a lock but the last two spots likely come down to Fulgham, JJAW, and Hightower..: of that group, I’m cutting JJAW. 

• Like 1