Spencer Rattler (Oklahoma QB) -- TRANSFER TO SOUTH CAROLINA

Godfather

Rattler isn't playing the same game he'd have to play in the NFL, he has bad habits that will get picked in the NFL, he definitely has the arm and the talent to play the game, but reports of his attitude and the QB1 thing remind me as much of Johnny Football as they do Mahomes to be honest, it's easy to forget how good Manziel was in college and it didn't matter a damn in the end because he was an arrogant asshat.

If Hurts flames out I expect he's one we'd look at but I wonder if he isn't one of those that drops unexpectedly on draft day.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Rattler isn't playing the same game he'd have to play in the NFL, he has bad habits that will get picked in the NFL, he definitely has the arm and the talent to play the game, but reports of his attitude and the QB1 thing remind me as much of Johnny Football as they do Mahomes to be honest, it's easy to forget how good Manziel was in college and it didn't matter a damn in the end because he was an arrogant asshat.

My concern is that we, and to be fair every team, is going to be looking for the next Mahomes. Looking for that guy with an elite arm and athleticism to mould in to the next Mahomes. But there really isn't going to be anyone like him. Just like there isn't anyone like Brady or Rodgers. I think we all get caught up in trends whereas we should look at who looks like an all around future franchise QB.

You can tell who has and hasn't watched much of Rattler in this topic.  He is a premium talent and will get drafted really high.  He moves well.  He throws well.  His team follows him.  I am not for packaging up everything that we have for him, but it's crazy to pretend that he isn't going to be highly desired by NFL teams, especially because of that QB1 show.  If anything, that shows that he has been in the spotlight for awhile and STILL succeeded to lead one of the top teams. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

You can tell who has and hasn't watched much of Rattler in this topic.  He is a premium talent and will get drafted really high.  He moves well.  He throws well.  His team follows him.  I am not for packaging up everything that we have for him, but it's crazy to pretend that he isn't going to be highly desired by NFL teams, especially because of that QB1 show.  If anything, that shows that he has been in the spotlight for awhile and STILL succeeded to lead one of the top teams. 

I said he has the talent and the arm, but he's been uneven through 2 starts this year and the idea that any player is a lock for a high pick at this stage of the college season is utter hooey.

And if attitude doesn't count in QB drafting, why did Manziel drop to 22 in 2014 after contending for the Heisman both years of his college career and having numbers that were way better in a better conference than Blake Bortles (and in terms of throwing arguably at least the equal of Rattlers)? and don't say height because he was barely an inch shorter than Rattler.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

But that doesn't actually mean he's going to be a really good NFL QB. He's perhaps the best QB in this next draft... But that's not necessarily saying a great deal. I still maintain I want no part of him. 

22 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But that doesn't actually mean he's going to be a really good NFL QB. He's perhaps the best QB in this next draft... But that's not necessarily saying a great deal. I still maintain I want no part of him. 

I'm interested in the QB from Cincy(Ridder I believe?) I think he would be a terrific BU to Hurts as their styles are similar(aka plug and play with little change in the event Hurts goes down)

58 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I'm interested in the QB from Cincy(Ridder I believe?) I think he would be a terrific BU to Hurts as their styles are similar(aka plug and play with little change in the event Hurts goes down)

I think they expect Ridder to go fairly early though don't they? Like as one of the top QBs in the draft. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think they expect Ridder to go fairly early though don't they? Like as one of the top QBs in the draft. 

If they draft another QB in the early rounds as a back up I will personally go down to the Linc and take a sheet on their lawn!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

If they draft another QB in the early rounds as a back up I will personally go down to the Linc and take a sheet on their lawn!

Those day 1 and day 2 picks had better be used to fortify the roster with some premiere young talent at positions that need it (CB, DE, S in particular).  

6 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Wouldn't that depend on Hurts performance level? You are buying in with 1 game in the books? Besides we have numerous round 1 and 2 picks,we're not gonna suffer getting player at other spots. If we need  QB we should get one. We don't know yet if we need one or not. SO, why didn't we just hang on to Wentz?

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Wouldn't that depend on Hurts performance level? You are buying in with 1 game in the books? Besides we have numerous round 1 and 2 picks,we're not gonna suffer getting player at other spots. If we need  QB we should get one. We don't know yet if we need one or not. SO, why didn't we just hang on to Wentz?

🙄

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not sure what to make of that comment, but it's cool that a highly edited show like QB1 had such an effect on you.   On there, he's a super-confident, super-entitled QB, but most of the good ones are from an early age (especially his generation).  He made some stupid kid mistakes on that show, but no issues in college.  Isn't the name of the game in college about improving on what you are/were every day?  It seems that he learned.

But...of course, he could be a bust.  He could also be a superstar.  Or anything in between.  There we have it, Rattler is just like every QB drafted early (which he will be).  No guarantees, but he is every bit as good as any OU QB drafted recently (2 of them 1st overall and all 3 NFL starters) and that is the only measuring stick that we have to work off of.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I said he has the talent and the arm, but he's been uneven through 2 starts this year and the idea that any player is a lock for a high pick at this stage of the college season is utter hooey.

And if attitude doesn't count in QB drafting, why did Manziel drop to 22 in 2014 after contending for the Heisman both years of his college career and having numbers that were way better in a better conference than Blake Bortles (and in terms of throwing arguably at least the equal of Rattlers)? and don't say height because he was barely an inch shorter than Rattler.

Meh, every QB and team has inconsistent moments.  OU usually plays down 2 or 3 times per year.  So what?  77% completion, 6 TDs and 2 INTs doesn't scream too much inconsistency in a team game.   Also, he's had no issues with attitude or leadership in college.  That's beating a dead horse.  None of that QB1 BS has been an issue at OU.  

But comparing him to Manziel is just disingenuous.  Johnny was an spoiled rich kid, arrogant a-hole (and a midget) with a short (yet prolific) college career that had all kinds of off-field stuff swirling around him (including arrests and other questionable actions).  That followed him into the NFL.  If it wasn't for a dysfunctional Browns franchise, he may still be waiting. NFL security has a whole shelf of background docs on that clown.  Rattler has been nothing similar attitude wise at OU.

If he's not one of the top QBs in the draft (without injury), it will be shocking to me.  He is the QB of a potential national champion team and compares favorably to the recent OU QBs (2 overall #1s and with all 3 starting QBs at the NFL level).  

It's cool if you don't like him, but that doesn't change that he is super talented and not a problem for OU. 

5 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I'm not sure what to make of that comment, but it's cool that a highly edited show like QB1 had such an effect on you. 

It isn't just that show and how he came across. I don't think he's going to be an elite nfl QB either. I just didn't see it on QB1 and I don't see it now. Do I see a kid with an extraordinary arm and talent? Yes. But so did Manziel and that's who I see. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It isn't just that show and how he came across. I don't think he's going to be an elite nfl QB either. I just didn't see it on QB1 and I don't see it now. Do I see a kid with an extraordinary arm and talent? Yes. But so did Manziel and that's who I see. 

LOL. Cool.  No sense in trying to discuss it with you.  You are just repeating the other poster (as usual) with the Manziel line now. Other than being a QB, there is nothing similar between the two in game or actions. But that's "your" opinion and it's OK. Time will tell if he's Manziel or not. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

LOL. Cool.  No sense in trying to discuss it with you.  You are just repeating the other poster (as usual) with the Manziel line now. Other than being a QB, there is nothing similar between the two in game or actions. But that's "your" opinion and it's OK. Time will tell if he's Manziel or not. 

People just hate on him because of his immaturity last season. Like we all didn't act the same at his age :rolleyes:

On 9/16/2021 at 11:41 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What?! Manziel had elite arm talent? I beg to differ. Rattler not only has elite arm talent but insane mechanics. Manziel lacked all of this but make it up with is elusiveness in the pocket and Mike Evans. Not to mention, Manziel had a drug and alcohol problem that completely derailed his career before it started. Having off the field issues in college as well. Rattler has not. Unfair with that comparison.

Elite NFL QBs are hard to predict. We all knew that Pat Mahomes had arm talent but zero people after the college football season thought he was going to be "elite.”

• Like 2

3 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

What?! Manziel had elite arm talent?

I'm not saying in terms of their styles and their skills etc. I'm just saying I think Rattler is going to end up another Manziel type. Big personality, big hype, fun to watch in college but ultimately in the NFL he will get chewed up and spat out. That's just my view on him. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not saying in terms of their styles and their skills etc. I'm just saying I think Rattler is going to end up another Manziel type. Big personality, big hype, fun to watch in college but ultimately in the NFL he will get chewed up and spat out. That's just my view on him. 

So we shall call him Spattler

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 9:04 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I must have misread your comment but the way it was phrased said Manziel had elite arm and talent. I disagree with the elite arm part. I still think the Manziel comparison is not applicable because he was chewed up and spit out due to the partying, alcohol and drugs, not because his talent didn’t translate to the NFL.

but I think we agree to disagree, which is fine. I think he tears up the league if he goes to the correct team/system

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

I must have misread your comment but the way it was phrased said Manziel had elite arm and talent. I disagree with the elite arm part. I still think the Manziel comparison is not applicable because he was chewed up and spit out due to the partying, alcohol and drugs, not because his talent didn’t translate to the NFL.

but I think we agree to disagree, which is fine. I think he tears up the league if he goes to the correct team/system

I mean look I may have said that, if I did then that's not what I meant. What I meant was coming in to the NFL he was seen as a huge prospect and highly rated. I think that's going to be Rattler but I'm just not sold on him. I could be wrong who knows.

49 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

OU fans are spoiled dolts.  They embarassed themselves on TV last night.  

Well to be fair they've seen some very very good QBs in the last few years... And now they don't have one! 😉