Some more good news for Eagles on Wentz watch

time2rock

Some more good news for Eagles on Wentz watch

There was some good news on Sunday afternoon as Carson Wentz watch continues.

Colts head coach Frank Reich said Wentz will return to practice in a limited fashion on Monday.

zangaro1.JPG.529e85104affda9d2e488d73e209f522.JPG

Of course, this matters to the Eagles because the 2022 draft pick they get as the return from the Wentz trade is tied to his playing time in 2021. Earlier this month, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen said that Wentz was "trending” to be ready for the opener.

Sunday’s news doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s going to happen, but seems like a good sign.

zangaro2.JPG.0d25553b57cb9c2ff0d70675752780e6.JPG

As a reminder, there are two ways for that 2022 second-round pick to turn into a first-rounder for the Eagles:

1. Wentz played at least 75% of the Colts’ offense snaps

2. Wentz plays at least 70% of the Colts’ offensive snaps and the team makes the playoffs

Getting a first-round pick in return for Wentz would obviously be a big deal.

And the news that Nelson is returning to practice shouldn’t be overlooked either. Having an All-Pro guard protecting him this season ought to increase the chances that Wentz can stay upright and healthy.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/carson-wentz-returning-colts-practice-good-news-eagles?fbclid=IwAR1gyWmCc3jUzFYi6ge4S_Yea8btmBmJdG-162wde3OHhxQWDE_jDMqlgMk

75% of the snaps is about 13 complete games out of 17. 70% is about 12 complete games out of 17. If Wentz doesn't play until week 6, hope for a 1st round pick is, for all intents and purposes, dead. I expect a 2nd rounder in return for him. Also Irsay is, well, Irsay. He'll want to keep that 1st rounder no matter what. 

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

75% of the snaps is about 13 complete games out of 17. 70% is about 12 complete games out of 17. If Wentz doesn't play until week 6, hope for a 1st round pick is, for all intents and purposes, dead. I expect a 2nd rounder in return for him. Also Irsay is, well, Irsay. He'll want to keep that 1st rounder no matter what. 

I almost feel it may be in our best interest for Wentz to miss the first 2 games then start in week 3 and play well enough to get them into the conversation for a playoff spot as the season winds down.  That way Irsay is likely to want him to continue playing.  Then in those final couple weeks Wentz nosedives and they miss the playoffs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeep_man said:

Eagles wont be getting a 1st, Wentz being healthy or NOT.... 

End Thread...

Don't think he'll play 13 complete games (in a 17 game season)?  That's the criterion I'm eyeballing (playing 75% of the snaps).  He will be playing behind a much better OL than he did the last 2 seasons here (due to all the injuries and declined play of Peters).  And I'm sure he is eager to prove wrong everyone who wrote him off.  And I don't think he gets benched just so they can preserve their 1st rd pick (unless he is historically awful) ... not at the risk of further shaking his confidence.  

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Don't think he'll play 13 complete games (in a 17 game season)?  That's the criterion I'm eyeballing (playing 75% of the snaps).  He will be playing behind a much better OL than he did the last 2 seasons here (due to all the injuries and declined play of Peters).  And I'm sure he is eager to prove wrong everyone who wrote him off.  And I don't think he gets benched just so they can preserve their 1st rd pick (unless he is historically awful) ... not at the risk of further shaking his confidence.  

Their GM wont give up a 1st, you can damn well bet Wentz will sit enough games to only cost them a 2nd rounder...

1 minute ago, Jeep_man said:

Their GM wont give up a 1st, you can damn well bet Wentz will sit enough games to only cost them a 2nd rounder...

Could be.  But if they are fighting for a playoff spot and Wentz gives them the best chance to get there, I don't think they sit him (I think getting into the playoffs and trying for a championship would be more important to Irsay than the draft pick).  But I can't pretend to know what those guys are thinking (hence the italics).  

4 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Could be.  But if they are fighting for a playoff spot and Wentz gives them the best chance to get there, I don't think they sit him (I think getting into the playoffs and trying for a championship would be more important to Irsay than the draft pick).  But I can't pretend to know what those guys are thinking (hence the italics).  

We shall see...

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 2:39 PM, PoconoDon said:

Just so people don't dwell on "games played," I wanted to clarify that it's still about snaps which will vary from game to game. Through 12 full games last year with us:

Wentz:

100%
100%
100%
100%
100%
100%
100%
100%
100%
100%

99%

Philip Rivers' snap counts looked like this:

99%
100%
77%
100%
100%
100%
100%
99%
99%
92%
86%
96%
95%
94%
100%
94%

It will be interesting to see how they handle things such as late game leads. Will Wentz be in for victory formation snaps?

On 8/23/2021 at 7:34 PM, time2rock said:

I almost feel it may be in our best interest for Wentz to miss the first 2 games then start in week 3 and play well enough to get them into the conversation for a playoff spot as the season winds down.  That way Irsay is likely to want him to continue playing.  Then in those final couple weeks Wentz nosedives and they miss the playoffs.  

if the Colts win the SB..do we get their entire 2022 draft? (we should!) :-)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, flyerdog said:

if the Colts win the SB..do we get their entire 2022 draft? (we should!) :-)

If they win it all we get Ballard (and they take Howie)!

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

If they win it all we get Ballard (and they take Howie)!

problem is with this team...if Howie got canned...and the top rated GM candidate was available...they would hire the 3rd best accountant....

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, flyerdog said:

problem is with this team...if Howie got canned...and the top rated GM candidate was available...they would hire the 3rd best accountant....

He’d still be better than Howie.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Just so people don't dwell on "games played," I wanted to clarify that it's still about snaps which will vary from game to game. Through 12 full games last year with us:

Wentz:

100%
100%
100%
100%
100%
100%
100%
100%
100%
100%

99%

Philip Rivers' snap counts looked like this:

99%
100%
77%
100%
100%
100%
100%
99%
99%
92%
86%
96%
95%
94%
100%
94%

It will be interesting to see how they handle things such as late game leads. Will Wentz be in for victory formation snaps?

The issue with Carson isn't whether or not he'll play almost all of the snaps when he's in. It's whether or not he will be healthy enough to be in. If he's healthy, he'll get to the thresholds, unless he's so bad they bench him. I'm just not confident in his staying healthy.

• Like 1