Eagles' Nick Sirianni evaluates Jalen Hurts' performance in win: 'He was in complete control the whole game'

time2rock

Eagles' Nick Sirianni evaluates Jalen Hurts' performance in win: 'He was in complete control the whole game'

Hurts had a banner day in Week 1 for the Eagles

Jeff Kerr

By Jeff Kerr

6 hrs ago

jalen-hurts-eagles.jpg

Getty Images

Jalen Hurts continues to show the Philadelphia Eagles front office why he should be the next franchise quarterback. Nick Sirianni may be way ahead of his superiors in believing it. 

Hurts finished 27 of 35 for 364 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions for the Eagles in a blowout win over the Atlanta Falcons. Finishing with a 126.4 passer rating, Hurts also had seven carries for 62 yards. The Eagles quarterback has the last two games where a quarterback has thrown for 250 yards and three touchdowns with no interceptions, while rushing for 60 yards. 

Only three times has a quarterback has accomplished those numbers in a single game in NFL history in his first five starts. Hurts is responsible for two of them.

"Jalen was in complete control the whole game," Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni said of his performance. "He played a heck of a football game. I'm really happy with the way he played."  

Hurts is one of just four players in NFL history to complete 75% of his passes, throw for 250 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions in a game. He is the only player since 1950 with 1,100 pass yards and 250 rush yards in his first five starts.

An impressive start for a quarterback the Eagles front office wasn't even sure they wanted in the offseason. 

"It's not about control, it's me going out there and doing what I'm coached to do," Hurts said to reporters after the game. "I always talk about executing. I want to execute at a high level, whatever that is -- running the ball, throwing the ball, alignment things, situation things -- I just want to execute at a high level."

Through five starts, Hurts has been performing up to his standards. The Eagles quarterback likely isn't satisfied. 

Eagles game jerseys now available

The new Eagles season is here! You need a jersey for your favorite player before the next game kicks. Shop Eagles jerseys, hats, jackets, and a whole lot more here.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-nick-sirianni-evaluates-jalen-hurts-performance-in-win-he-was-in-complete-control-the-whole-game/

• Like 1

He was so impressive on Sunday. He made the right decisions at the right times. He didn't force anything, for the most part he kept the ball off of the ground and he just took what was in front of him. Can't really say much more than a hugely impressive performance from a young QB who's hopefully going to continue to improve. 

One attribute of very good QBs is their ability to neutralize the highs and lows.  Hurts seems unflappable.....

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

One attribute of very good QBs is their ability to neutralize the highs and lows.  Hurts seems unflappable.....

Yeah that's certainly one observation that I've noticed too. He doesn't seem to flap or get flustered. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 12:08 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah that's certainly one observation that I've noticed too. He doesn't seem to flap or get flustered. 

First read that as fap not flap :lol:

• Like 1

Need to see more from Hurts obviously before we can crown him but I will say that from the intangible standpoint he does appear to have "it.” Cool and in control, good work ethic, and teammates want to follow him. Above the shoulders, he definitely seems to be the real deal.