Eagles DT Javon Hargrave is set for a breakout season in 2021

time2rock

Eagles DT Javon Hargrave is set for a breakout season in 2021

USATSI_16741865.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Josh Lynch 

September 15, 2021 5:38 am ET

Javon Hargrave’s level of play was actually even better than expected against the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday.

Earning top-10 ratings with a Pro Football Focus grade of 94.5, Hargrave was a force in the middle, finishing with six tackles, two sacks, and three QB hits — asserting himself as a superior talent over an inexperienced Falcons offensive line that looked inferior.

When the Eagles acquired Hargrave in free agency and agreed to sign him to a three-year contract in March 2020, great things were noted about his play that made Eagles’ fans appreciate the move made by Howie Roseman.

A chest injury marred the first half of his 2020 regular season, along with an NFL season heavily affected by the changes it had to make due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Hargrave needed to find ways in which he could find his rhythm.

Fast forward to a year later — Hargrave is improved and should help make guys like Fletcher Cox, and Brandon Graham that much better.

It’s only one game —but from the level of tenacity fans were hoping for in Hargrave, it’s fair to note Eagles fans should probably get used to seeing this again as the season progresses.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/15/philadelphia-eagles-javon-hargrave-breakout-dominant-2021-nfl-season/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1ay35ij2mNERURCdKI7ZW5wWkQDlKgF7EIbdjCwiJUTSA-HZnecfXZRNE

• Like 1

He's either going to have a breakout year in terms of stats or he's going to create a lot of opportunities for others if teams feel they have to start double teaming him. He absolutely benefited from Cox being double teamed on Sunday and he took full advantage. Let's see him do that every week because teams are going to continue to double team Cox for now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He's either going to have a breakout year in terms of stats or he's going to create a lot of opportunities for others if teams feel they have to start double teaming him. He absolutely benefited from Cox being double teamed on Sunday and he took full advantage. Let's see him do that every week because teams are going to continue to double team Cox for now. 

Kinda like a "pick your poison" situation for opposing offenses ... double team Cox and Hargrave is gonna eat.  Double team Hargrave and Cox is gonna eat.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Kinda like a "pick your poison" situation for opposing offenses ... double team Cox and Hargrave is gonna eat.  Double team Hargrave and Cox is gonna eat.  

Absolutely. And I guess you could double team both? But then here comes BG or one of the DEs. Or here comes a blitz that you just can't pick up as you don't have the bodies anymore. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Absolutely. And I guess you could double team both? But then here comes BG or one of the DEs. Or here comes a blitz that you just can't pick up as you don't have the bodies anymore. 

Well the one thing that I really liked about the line play on Sunday was that they did not have to blitz. I really hope that can continue through the year, as it makes it easier for the back 7 to cover in passing situations.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Well the one thing that I really liked about the line play on Sunday was that they did not have to blitz. I really hope that can continue through the year, as it makes it easier for the back 7 to cover in passing situations.

Yeah it does but we do want them to blitz at times. Schwartz rarely blitzed and that was frustrating. But yes I agree it makes it easier with 7 in the backfield. 

Hargrave and Cox are going to routinely collapse the pocket, so the defensive ends should get plenty of opportunities for sacks.  We should also see a lot of rushed passes.....

The defense will certainly hinge on how well the Dline plays

3 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Hargrave and Cox are going to routinely collapse the pocket, so the defensive ends should get plenty of opportunities for sacks.  We should also see a lot of rushed passes.....

The defense will certainly hinge on how well the Dline plays

A lot of rushed passes and having upgraded the talent in the defensive backfield (substantially) with a scheme that makes life much easier on the DBs ... I like our chances.  

I’m not sure you can call it a "breakout” season. He was a big time free agent signing because he had already broken out. 

2 hours ago, mihailo said:

This guy is on the team until 2023, right?

He is currently signed for this season and next (so end of 2022 season).