Shold the Eagles pursue Jamie Collins?

stine

He is 31, so my thought process is he won't command allot. I did notice he sometimes cannot keep his cool and causes ill timed penalties. But he is better than what we have. Should we make an offer or wait it out to see if Detroit Waives him? I say offer a conditional pick based on percentage of downs played. Maybe a 5th rounder which could end up a 4th if he plays over 50% of the defensive downs for the remainder of the season? Any thoughts?

28 minutes ago, stine said:

He is 31, so my thought process is he won't command allot. I did notice he sometimes cannot keep his cool and causes ill timed penalties. But he is better than what we have. Should we make an offer or wait it out to see if Detroit Waives him? I say offer a conditional pick based on percentage of downs played. Maybe a 5th rounder which could end up a 4th if he plays over 50% of the defensive downs for the remainder of the season? Any thoughts?

What’s his relation to Derek Barnett?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

What’s his relation to Derek Barnett?

None, Collins had 1 penalty all of last year. Either way I'm not giving up more then a 6th, he won't be enough of an impact for anything more then that. 

No interested in using ANY draft picks to add a 31 year old player to a team that should be purging older overpriced players and adding as much youth as possible, a team that isn't close to contending at this time.  If we were on the verge of being a legit contender and Collins could be that player that puts us over the hump then sure ... but we're not.  

• Like 9

Just now, time2rock said:

No interested in using ANY draft picks to add a 31 year old player to a team that should be purging older overpriced players and adding as much youth as possible, a team that isn't close to contending at this time.  If we were on the verge of being a legit contender and Collins could be that player that puts us over the hump then sure ... but we're not.  

People hate Howie but, want to do Howie things. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

This.  1,000X this.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

Moreso than giving up draft capital is taking on his contract which has a pretty large cap hit that could be better used elsewhere. I actually wouldn't be upset with a late round pick for an automatic upgrade at LB where we have a lot of young relatively unproven guys after losing Jordan Hicks, Mychal Kendricks, and Nigel Bradham over the last few years.

Collins has played well in both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes and is known for his coverage skills, so the talent is definitely there, but no sure if he fits with our timeline as a rebuilding team. I'm sure one of last year's playoff teams will be interested in scooping him up via trade. 

13 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Moreso than giving up draft capital is taking on his contract which has a pretty large cap hit that could be better used elsewhere. I actually wouldn't be upset with a late round pick for an automatic upgrade at LB where we have a lot of young relatively unproven guys after losing Jordan Hicks, Mychal Kendricks, and Nigel Bradham over the last few years.

Collins has played well in both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes and is known for his coverage skills, so the talent is definitely there, but no sure if he fits with our timeline as a rebuilding team. I'm sure one of last year's playoff teams will be interested in scooping him up via trade. 

Definitely agree on not wanting to use cap space (in addition to a draft pick) on a 31 year old.  But don't minimize the value of the pick ... that 6th could be Quez Watkins or Jason Kelce.  :-)

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

Definitely agree on not wanting to use cap space (in addition to a draft pick) on a 31 year old.  But don't minimize the value of the pick ... that 6th could be Quez Watkins or Jason Kelce.  :-)

True but that's more the exception of the rule. We haven't been the best at drafting LBs over the years, even when it came to using early picks. We lucked out with Kendricks (2012 2nd rnd) and Hicks (2015 3rd rnd) in recent years and even they had their faults (schematic fit and injuries respectively).

7 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

True but that's more the exception of the rule. We haven't been the best at drafting LBs over the years, even when it came to using early picks. We lucked out with Kendricks (2012 2nd rnd) and Hicks (2015 3rd rnd) in recent years and even they had their faults (schematic fit and injuries respectively).

Meh I’d sooner want to see what we have with Taylor and some of these other young, unproven players (Johnson, Stevens, etc) than add a vet at this point … especially one that is 31.  Why let a bandaid cut into the play time of those guys which would stunt their development.  I’ve always thought the best way to develop a player is to play them.  One thing I like about Sirianni is he seems willing to play his young bucks.  And what a great year to experiment with those young players to get a more thorough evaluation.  

With the way the team is currently constructed, no. Don't believe he would be worth the cost (even if minor) and he wouldn't be a good enough addition to make us contend.

This team needs a DE but I wouldn't want them to give up a pick for one. Collins was a very talented guy at one point but he's gone off the boil since being traded away by the Pats.