Wentz Watch: How many snaps did Colts QB play in Week 3 loss to Titans

time2rock

Wentz Watch: How many snaps did Colts QB play in Week 3 loss to Titans 

Carson-Wentz-snap-count-Eagles-2022-NFL-Draft.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Glenn Erby 

September 26, 2021 4:11 pm ET

When the Philadelphia Eagles traded Carson Wentz in the offseason, the team receiving a conditional second-round rounder in 2022 that would become a first-round pick if the quarterback takes 75% of the Colts’ regular-season offensive snaps or 70% if they make the playoffs.

We’re tracking the quarterback snaps as Philadelphia marches towards a third first-round pick.

Wentz vs. Titans

Carson-Wentz-Philadelphia-Eagles-NFLDraf

Sep 12, 2021; Indianapolis, Indiana, USA; Indianapolis Colts quarterback Carson Wentz (2) passes the ball in the first quarter against the Seattle Seahawks at Lucas Oil Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Trevor Ruszkowski-USA TODAY Sports

A week after playing 93% of the Colts snaps in a 27-24 loss against the Los Angeles Rams at Lucas Oil Stadium, Carson Wentz again logged the majority of the team’s snaps in Week 3.

Wentz was 19-37 for 194 yards and no touchdowns.

How it impacts the Eagles through 3 weeks

Carson-Wentz-snap-count-Eagles-2022-NFL-

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Carson Wentz (2) looks for an opening during the second quarter at Nissan Stadium Sunday, Sept. 26, 2021 in Nashville, Tenn.
Titans Colts 160

Wentz went 25-38 for 251 yards and two touchdowns in a 28-16 loss to the Seahawks in Week 1, logging almost 70 offensive snaps. In the Week 2 loss to the Rams, Wentz logged 62 of a possible 67 snaps, playing 93% of the Colts snaps.

Today against the Titans, he played every snap despite two badly sprained ankles. After three weeks of football, Wentz has played close to 97% of the teams’ snaps despite the weekly stress of potential injury concerns.

2022 NFL Draft

Wentz-foot-injury.jpg

Jul 28, 2021; Westfield, IN, United States; Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Dezmon Patmon (10) at Grand Park. Mandatory Credit: Marc Lebryk-USA TODAY SportsJul 29, 2021; Westfield, IN, United States; Indianapolis Colts quarterback Carson Wentz (2) at Grand Park. Mandatory Credit: Marc Lebryk-USA TODAY Sports

If the season ended today, Philadelphia would clearly be in the running for the No. 1 overall pick after Indianapolis fell to 0-3.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/carson-wentz-snap-count-eagles-2022-nfl-draft/

Uhh......if the colts continue to lose and the playoffs fade away, you can be sure Wentz will somehow be placed on IR.......He gets plenty of injuries and the colts would be foolish to keep playing him and have to cough up a 1st round pick.

31 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Uhh......if the colts continue to lose and the playoffs fade away, you can be sure Wentz will somehow be placed on IR.......He gets plenty of injuries and the colts would be foolish to keep playing him and have to cough up a 1st round pick.

Ok, but we are also talking about a mentally fragile QB. You bench him, even if it’s disguised as an injury, and you run the risk of him pouting. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nipples said:

Ok, but we are also talking about a mentally fragile QB. You bench him, even if it’s disguised as an injury, and you run the risk of him pouting. 

Unlike the Eagles, they will talk to him about the plan.  "Quenton is hurt, rotating door at left tackle.  We will draft Evan Neal OT Alabama with the top 5 pick, get the rest of the line healthy and reload for next year"

They have the Dolphins and Ravens next and could very well be 0-5.  The Colts will do what is best for the Colts, and he will be on board as they will actually talk to him about the plan.

I'm only posting these to maintain an update on where we stand each week as it relates to snap count % since that has a direct impact on whether we get a 1 or a 2 from Indy.  As to whether or not they would consider benching Carson, that's anyone's guess ... no one knows what they might be thinking.  

2 hours ago, nipples said:

People keep going on about how the Colts will bench Wentz. I don't believe they will. I just don't think it sends the right message to the team at all. And as you say he's a mentally fragile QB so I'm not sure how he would handle it (not well would be my guess). Unless he's clearly the single biggest issue with the team (as he was in Philly last year) I don't see them benching him. 

49 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

People keep going on about how the Colts will bench Wentz. I don't believe they will. I just don't think it sends the right message to the team at all. And as you say he's a mentally fragile QB so I'm not sure how he would handle it (not well would be my guess). Unless he's clearly the single biggest issue with the team (as he was in Philly last year) I don't see them benching him. 

I’m not sure he’s the BIGGEST issue there but it’s certainly interesting that the Colts are 0-3 with Wentz, after winning 11 games last year. And, as far as I can remember, they didn’t lose any significant pieces from last season outside of Rivers. 

4 minutes ago, nipples said:

I’m not sure he’s the BIGGEST issue there but it’s certainly interesting that the Colts are 0-3 with Wentz, after winning 11 games last year. And, as far as I can remember, they didn’t lose any significant pieces from last season outside of Rivers. 

Go look at the injuries.  Nelson their best lineman has been hurt since the preseason and in and out of the lineup, playing 3rd string LT, and the RT has been hurt and in and out of the line up.

Just now, downundermike said:

Go look at the injuries.  Nelson their best lineman has been hurt since the preseason and in and out of the lineup, playing 3rd string LT, and the RT has been hurt and in and out of the line up.

So as always it’s everyone’s fault but Carson’s. Just like when he was an Eagle. 

I’ve watched some Colts this year. He still holds the ball, refuses to throw it away when there’s pressure and doesn’t hit his check downs when he should. He makes the offensive line play look worse than it is. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

I mean to be fair... they've had a tough schedule to start the year I will say that in sort of his defense. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

I’m not sure he’s the BIGGEST issue there but it’s certainly interesting that the Colts are 0-3 with Wentz, after winning 11 games last year. And, as far as I can remember, they didn’t lose any significant pieces from last season outside of Rivers

Sirianni, Gannon :o

• Like 1

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It certainly helps that they didn't secure a quality back-up QB.