Sirianni quick to point out Gannon's deficiencies

time2rock

Sirianni quick to point out Gannon's deficiencies

There was a recurring theme in Nick Sirianni’s post-game presser Sunday night in Vegas.

It was Jonathan Gannon.

And blame.

Sirianni laid a ton of blame for the Eagles’ loss to the Raiders on Gannon, his passive scheme and what Sirianni seemed to indicate was a reluctance to adjust when his initial plan was not working.

Even when he wasn’t asked directly about the defense, he referred to Gannon and the defense.

He made sure to say that everything that happens with the team is ultimately his responsibility. Then he blamed Gannon some more.

He wasn’t wrong. But it was revealing just how directly he blamed his defensive coordinator for the mess the Eagles are in.

The Eagles fell to 2-5 Sunday with a 33-22 loss to the Raiders. Derek Carr completed 31 of 34 passes – the 2nd-most accurate QB performance ever against the Eagles and the 2nd-highest completion percentage in NFL history by a QB throwing at least 30 passes.

The Eagles' defense didn't put up much resistance.

"We need to challenge more,” Sirianni said. "It obviously always starts with us as coaches being able to put them in positions to make plays, so we have to call defenses that are going to allow the defenders to challenge more and then our defenders (have) got to challenge more.

"When someone’s 91 or 92 percent or whatever he (was), everyone’s got a piece of that. So we’ve got to be able to challenge more and that’s defensive scheme and then obviously playing, too."

In the first 1,285 games in franchise history, only eight quarterbacks completed 80 percent of their passes in a game against the Eagles.

In the Eagles' last five games, four quarterbacks have done it – Dak Prescott, Pat Mahomes, Tom Brady and Carr.

Overall, the Eagles are allowing QBs to complete 74.4 percent of their passes. That’s 3rd-highest in NFL history through seven games.

"When you’re playing these good quarterbacks ... and you’re giving up this high a percentage, yeah, that’s the same thing we talk about on offense, any time you’re not playing well, you’ve got to make changes, you’ve got to adapt, you’ve got to move,” Sirianni said. "I’m not saying you have to make a complete philosophy switch, but we’ve got to do things to help our players out, absolutely.”

In the Eagles’ last five games, the defense has allowed 34, 42, 18, 28 and 33 points. This is the first time since 1971 the Eagles have allowed 28 points four times in their first seven games.

"Anytime you lose like that, everybody’s got to look themselves in the mirror,” Sirianni said. "It just wasn’t good enough execution, it wasn’t good enough play calling - on both sides of the ball ... we just weren’t good enough.

"And that starts with me. Everything’s always going to start with me. I just wasn’t good enough and everybody followed suit.”

Even talking about his decision to accept a 10-yard penalty in the first quarter and take a 3rd-and-15 instead of a 4th-and-2 he was critical of the defense.

The Raiders, who had the punt team coming onto the field expecting the Eagles to decline the penalty, converted that 3rd-and-15 with a 43-yard pass from Carr to Zay Jones.

"We went down and we gave up a 3rd-and-13,” Sirianni said. "We can’t give up a 3rd-and-13."

And answering another question about Carr’s historic performance, Sirianni again pointed the blame directly at Gannon: "Derek Carr was 91 percent. Not good enough on Jonathan’s part.”

What does it all mean? Is Sirianni considering making a change this soon? Is he going to read the riot act again to Gannon? Is he going to take a bigger role on the defensive side?

We’ll see. But it sure seems like something has to change, and Sirianni didn’t say anything Sunday night to indicate he disagrees.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-coach-nick-sirianni-quick-point-out-jonathan-gannons-deficiencies

Gannon's scheme is certainly full of deficiencies.  But Sirianni's scheme is equally suspect.  He is likely feeling the pressure of such a God awful start and is quick to start pointing fingers - not a good look.  It's OK to hold your staff/players accountable but he should know better to keep that behind closed doors and not call them out publicly.  Sirianni is just another clown.  

If not for a Sam Darnold meltdown this team would be 1-6 and on a 6 game skid.  Goff is accurate and if we leave the field wide open again he will hit those passes.  I would expect a Lions win Sunday and the DC to be fired next week or soon after.

1 hour ago, weko said:

If not for a Sam Darnold meltdown this team would be 1-6 and on a 6 game skid.  Goff is accurate and if we leave the field wide open again he will hit those passes.  I would expect a Lions win Sunday and the DC to be fired next week or soon after.

I fully expect Goff to look like the next Tom Brady on Sunday, throwing for 300+ yards and completing 80%+ of his passes.  

13 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I fully expect Goff to look like the next Tom Brady on Sunday, throwing for 300+ yards and completing 80%+ of his passes.  

Or we beat them and Siri thinks the D is fixed. 

At this point neither coach has anything to lose. Might as well change it up and try something different. Not holding my breath....

• Like 1

The whole f------- team is suspect.  From the offensive scheme and playcalling to the invisible man impersonations of the defense. 

The penalties, the decision making, the disappearance of a running game, the underutilization of certain players, the lack of blitzing, the bend and break defensive philosophy.  Sirianni and Gannan believe that if you tire out the opposing team's offense by keeping them on the field and driving down the field too much they eventually slow down and the eagles can catch up.

How can 2 coaches who've been in the NFL for years sh-- the bed so bad?

In the high powered modern NFL, the bend but don't break approach is idiotic.  The ONLY approach is to kill an offense at the head by attacking and getting pressure on the QB.....pressure, hits, sacks, aggressive DB play, blitzing.......

Bad teams can have a shot at beating good teams by winning TOP, winning the field position battle, some gutsy playcalling, securing the ball,  being aggressive and forcing any amount of turnovers.  Lose any one of those challenges and the odds of winning drop even further.

The eagles look mundane and uninterested at times during the game.

• Like 2

As I understand it, Gannon came out of that Vikings defensive system that Doug's offense light up in the NFCCG. Soft cover 2 shell with the occasional single high safety. No disguises, and the Front is designed to have the LB'ers fill the holes and make stops, but they have no LB'ers. Does he change things up to match his personnel? No. He apparently doesn't know how and tried to cover his own azzz when he lied and said he wouldn't impose a system, but fit it to his players. 

Gannon is in way over his head and he knows it. That conservative cover 2 shell spawn of the Tampa 2 he's running is the conservative response of a panicked coach. 

Here's an idea Sirianni... Scoring no points in the second and third quarter and adding 15 points in the fourth quarter when the game is out of hand... Might just be a big big part of the issue. The defense sucked but if we are chalking offense vs defense (and Siri liked to do that in TC) then so far this year the defense are somehow still winning!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

As I understand it, Gannon came out of that Vikings defensive system that Doug's offense light up in the NFCCG. Soft cover 2 shell with the occasional single high safety. No disguises, and the Front is designed to have the LB'ers fill the holes and make stops, but they have no LB'ers. Does he change things up to match his personnel? No. He apparently doesn't know how and tried to cover his own azzz when he lied and said he wouldn't impose a system, but fit it to his players. 

Gannon is in way over his head and he knows it. That conservative cover 2 shell spawn of the Tampa 2 he's running is the conservative response of a panicked coach. 

Like Sirianni and Hurts, Gannon is new to this position and is on a steep learning curve.  They can all say whatever they want ... I tend to ignore it all and rather focus on actions.  Sirianni has continually mentioned the need to get the RBs more involved and the next week it was more of the same.  Until this past game ... we FINALLY saw Hurts under center for that first drive and Sanders getting his share of touches.  I thought FINALLY the light went on.  Then that all changed drive #2 ... not sure if Sanders' injury made him change what he was planning to do or if he would have done that anyway (my gut says the latter).  Gannon has now been called out a couple of times - most recently by Cox.  I have a few articles to post about his response to all of that but again am going to ignore it all.  SHOW ME ... DON'T TELL ME.  Will be interesting to see what changes we may see Sunday.  I do think we will see some.  Fingers crossed.  And hopefully on offense we see more of what we saw from that first drive on Sunday, regardless of whether Sanders is a go or not.  I knew this was going to be a maddening season as they try to figure out what works ... I just didn't think it would take so long for them to make adjustments when something they have been continually trying to do clearly isn't working.  That is the most disappointing part.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, weko said:

Gannon is deep in over his head, but who on the coaching staff would you promote? We have what we have until the offseason.