Randall Cunningham backs Jon Gruden: 'I don't believe you're a racist'

Procus

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ex-nfl-qb-pastor-randall-cunningham-backs-jon-gruden-i-dont-believe-youre-a-racist

Ex-NFL QB, Pastor Randall Cunningham backs Jon Gruden: 'I don't believe you're a racist'

Yahoo Sports reports that Gruden has reached out to Cunningham since his resignation

Las Vegas Raiders team chaplain and former NFL quarterback Randall Cunningham said Jon Gruden has continued to attend services at his church since he resigned as the team’s head coach in October.

Yahoo Sports reports that Gruden has reached out to Cunningham since his resignation.

"I tell him, I said, ‘Hey, I know you as a person. I don’t believe you’re a racist in any faction of the game,'" Cunningham, who is black, said in a phone interview. "If anybody pulled up our records, we would all be guilty. So, I don’t condemn him nor do we as a church condemn him. He’s a faithful person, and I love that about him. And he cares about people, so it’s kind of just what it is."

Gruden said in a text message he thought highly of Cunningham, the article states.

"I’ve attended his church since I’ve been here," Gruden said. "He’s the best."

Cunningham played 16 seasons in the NFL, primarily with the Philadelphia Eagles. He was in the league from 1985-1995 and from 1997-2001, including a 1997-99 stint with the Minnesota Vikings.

Gruden’s resignation came after a report in the Wall Street Journal in which Gruden had sent an email containing comments regarding NFLPA head DeMaurice Smith, who is black, as having lips the size of "Michelin tires."

Gruden also belittled NFL commissioner Roger Goodell with a vulgar description in one of several emails provided by the league to the Las Vegas Raiders. The emails were just some of the 650,000 the NFL looked at during an investigation of the Washington Football Team for workplace misconduct and were written when Gruden was ESPN’s Monday Night Football analyst, not an NFL employee.

Cunningham became an ordained minister in 2003 and opened his church in 2006, Yahoo reports. He said as a pastor he is "always looking for righteousness."

He made note of a Bible verse, and said regarding Gruden, "We’re all forgiven and we can mature in Christ."

He added: "I told Jon, I said, ‘If my responsibility is to be here and to be a brother to you, I accept that responsibility.’ … I pray for him and his family and I love him. He’s my brother. And that isn’t going to change," per Yahoo Sports.

OutKick previously reported Gruden was looking at his legal options against the league following the email controversy that cost him his job.

While the total payout is not known, it seems as if Gruden and team owner Mark Davis reached an agreement after discussing the remaining figures in his deal, which included $40 million guaranteed.

"If anybody pulled up our records, we would all be guilty."

Exactly.

When it comes to other people, we all want justice, but when it comes to ourselves, mercy will do just fine. Not only have people today forgotten how to forgive, they seem to be going as far as possible out of their way to feign being offended. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Gruden a racist? Probably not. I would hope not. Gruden an idiot? Definitely. 

What is far more concerning is the emailing of pictures of NFL team employees that were forced to post nude by their employer.

15 minutes ago, downundermike said:

What is far more concerning is the emailing of pictures of NFL team employees that were forced to post nude by their employer.

I haven't followed any of that, so this is the first I've heard about that. 

2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I haven't followed any of that, so this is the first I've heard about that. 

There was apparently nude topless pics of the Redskins cheerleaders that were sent to Gruden that he sent to his buddies.

16 minutes ago, downundermike said:

This^ There was more then just racism going on there but, that seems to be the only thing people are pointing too. 

53 minutes ago, downundermike said:

There was apparently nude topless pics of the Redskins cheerleaders that were sent to Gruden that he sent to his buddies.

Another thing most would be guilty of I’m guessing.  

11 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

Another thing most would be guilty of I’m guessing.  

Yeah, I totally pass around pictures of employees forced to pose nude of companies I do business with.

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yeah, I totally pass around pictures of employees forced to pose nude of companies I do business with.

I mm giving gruden the benefit of the doubt that he did not know they were forced to take those photos.

3 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

I mm giving gruden the benefit of the doubt that he did not know they were forced to take those photos.

Are you basing that on all the nude NFL cheerleader calendars you have seen ??

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Are you basing that on all the nude NFL cheerleader calendars you have seen ??

No man. I haven’t had the pleasure. 

8 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

No man. I haven’t had the pleasure. 

Because there is no such thing you freaking moron.  You should go read up on the Washington Football Team sexual harassment situation.

9 hours ago, downundermike said:

Sent to Jon or Jay Gruden (the head coach at that time)?

At the time that news was breaking and the rumors started spreading, the rumors seemed to indicate that the Gruden involved was Jay, not Jon. I never followed closely enough to find out if any of the rumors were validated. 

On 11/3/2021 at 4:47 PM, Procus said:

"If anybody pulled up our records, we would all be guilty. So, I don’t condemn him nor do we as a church condemn him. He’s a faithful person, and I love that about him. And he cares about people, so it’s kind of just what it is."

I don't know if it's possible for me to love Randall any more than I already do, but this right here is the truth.  Love ya Randall.  You should be in the HoF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1