Optimistic Midseason Mock (11-3-21)

Infam

Yeah well, I know.

Everybody says we need to do something for the defense this year. And I do see the Eagles pick defense in every round, but I'll say the offense still weighs in more while we balance the scales in FA.

I liked the idea of trading down the best pick (probably dolphins) for another second (@Ray75), but I could imagine us trying to get picks for 2023 too.

For this I will add another second for fun.

1-DL: DeMarvin Leal, Texas A&M Many good options so early in the draft, but I think he is just a beast. We can play him outside or slide him in, he'll pull his weight.

1-C: Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa Another excellent lineman for the other side, he'd be as good a replacement for Kelce as it gets. Would mean Dickerson plays guard, but that's fine.

1-WR: Justyn Ross, Clemson Maybe the best receiver in the draft he might slide some because of the injury history. But he came back this season and is looking his old self. He'd be the tall weapon we are still missing on offense (since JJaw busted hard).. Yes, third first in as many years. And I think Reagor will still work out for us. Yet we need more top notch WRs on the cheap, so here we go. 

2-RT: Daniel Faalele, Minnesota Someone else brought my attention to this guy, but don't remember who so credit to .. whomever on this board for pointing out how awesome it would be to add another giant aussie to our future OL. And he actually has played a bit of football before. Stout, you know what to do!! Damn I love that thought. Maybe he'll sneak in the first if Mailata plays too well.

2-CB: Roger McCreary, Auburn Every. Damn. Year. There is this one corner projected in the second, drafted in the second that I love. And that goes on to kick ass in the NFL. So this year it's him. 

3-LB: Henry To'o To'o, Alabama Finally third round our Bama quota is filled. And it's a LB too! But he is really good and would fit in well with our team.

Plenty more picks on day three, and this would assume we look for a Safety and another DL in FA.

I would assume the Eagles would keep Goedert, Sanders, Nelson and Maddox. Kelce would retire, and here they move on from Barnett, Seumalo, Kerrigan and Harris. Seumalo is under contract for 2022, but I could see them move on and trade him to get Dickerson on the field as a starter (and obvious upgrade).

OL: Mailata-Dickerson-Linderbaum-Brooks-Johnson + Dillard, Driscoll, Herbig, Faalele

WR: Smith, Ross, Reagor + Watkins, Ward

TE: Goedert + Jackson, Stoll

RB: Sanders + Scott, Gainwell, Howard

QB: Hurts + Minshew

DL: Leal-Cox-Hargrave-Graham + Sweat, Williams, Ridgeway, Jackson [+FA]

LB: To'o To'o, Taylor + Edwards, Singleton, Avery

CB: Slay, Nelson, Maddox + McCreary, McPhearson

S:   McLeod, Epps + Wallace [+FA

• Like 2

I like what you did here, man! I really do.

Love Leal and Linderbaum, McCreary not a fan of Ross sorry.

Very OL heavy is never a bad thing. What is a bad thing, is our safety group. You can’t go into the season with McCleod, Wallace, Epps and a FA (who?).

But...here goes and this isn’t a knock on your mock...I can’t see the Eagles going into next season with Hurts and Minchew as their QB’s. 

They likely have seen enough of Hurts and propably would like to see more of Minchew. Neither is the future here.

Talked to a lot of people lately and they all believe Eagles are going to take a QB with one of their 3 first rounders or trade for one (Wilson or Watson). I think it’ll be the former. Fully expecting Corral or Willis to be the selection, maybe even with the Miami pick. Not necessarily what I want but what I think will happen.

22 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

I like what you did here, man! I really do.

Love Leal and Linderbaum, McCreary not a fan of Ross sorry.

Very OL heavy is never a bad thing. What is a bad thing, is our safety group. You can’t go into the season with McCleod, Wallace, Epps and a FA (who?).

Thanks. Agreed it's more adding to our strength than it is working on our weaknesses. And I like Ross, I think he is underrated.

Yeah we had a bad stretch so people are out on Hurts. But wait for the end of the season and we will have seen him do better. I am still in on Hurts.

It's not like I would take any WR in the first, felt like he would complement our WRs really well. But if he was gone, I'd try to pick Drake Jackson instead.

34 minutes ago, Infam said:

Thanks. Agreed it's more adding to our strength than it is working on our weaknesses. And I like Ross, I think he is underrated.

Yeah we had a bad stretch so people are out on Hurts. But wait for the end of the season and we will have seen him do better. I am still in on Hurts.

It's not like I would take any WR in the first, felt like he would complement our WRs really well. But if he was gone, I'd try to pick Drake Jackson instead.

I really, really hope you’re right about Hurts but I fear the Eagles already have come to the conclusion he’s not the longterm answer.

I’ll post a new mock soon. 

• Like 1

I have to say I really like this. Add a real weapon to the DL and add a talented CB but also go heavy OL. It isn't necessarily the most exciting draft but hey the most successful teams don't tend to have real exciting drafts. They pick BPA and they make sure they pick the right guy that can contribute for years to come. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Why do you consider this optimistic?

I used to make mocks that needed players to fall a bit from where they were projected, so it is a bit of a tradition for me naming it like this.

Now I call them optimistic because we would get players I really like. 😄

Maybe I should go with ‘hopeful’ in the future.