December mock - Howie has more fun than fantasy football

Rob331

As of now the Eagles go into this draft with 3 in the first round, a 2, 3, 4, two in the 5th and a 6th. At least that's what the traded draft picks thread in the draft forum shows. 

They have or will have a great deal of needs brought on by free agency- 2 DE's (Barnett and Kerrigan), 2 Safeties (McLeod and Harris), a corner (Nelson), maybe Kelce (even if he stays we need his eventual replacement), LB Avery (no big loss, and maybe Ridgeway (again no big loss). Thier restricted free agents are Ward (let him walk), Herbig/Opeta/Toth (bring them all back), LB Singleton (keep him as a core special teamer), TE Croom (gone) and Scott (he's already been replaced by Gainwell).

All told, that's 2 DE, 2S, 1 CB, LB, DT, WR, RB, and C.  Add a real developmental QB and there you have it - we need 10. 

TRIM THE ROSTER - Let DE's Barnett & Kerrigan, S's McLeod & Harris, CB Nelson, DT Ridgeway, LB Avery, WR Ward, RB Scott, and TE Croom find homes elsewhere. Don't bring QB Sennett back. 

FREE AGENCY - We certainly can't depend on 2 rookie safeties, so we'll need one in free agency. And - even if we draft a linebacker on the 2nd day, we still don't have the king of depth or quality it's obvious we need. One team provides the answer to both of these needs and that's the New Orleans Saints who are almost $60 million over the cap next year. They have a terrific defense, but they just can't rel-sign their own players with a cap situation like the one they have.  

TRADES - With La'Raven Clark, Driscoll, Herbig, Opeta, and Toth available as backups Dillard and either Brooks or Seumalo become available. We trade Dillard for a 3rd and one of the guards for a 4th. 

DRAFT DAY TRADES - Here's where my buddies Slade, Ray75 Eaglesfan and other break my chops. When I look and the draft I see Thibodeaux, Hutchinson, Davis, Leal, Neal, and Stingley as the first tier. After that, there's about 50 guys n the next group. So Howie trades every one of our first-round picks and gets a 1-2-4 for the first two of them and a 1-2 for the last one. That new 1's will be in the teens and low 2-'s. Now we have 1, 1, 1, four in the second, 3, 3 (Dillard), 4, 4, 4 the guard we trade), 5, 5, 6. That's 15 picks which is far too many so - 2 4's for a 3, a 4 and 5 for a 4, and and 6 for picks next year. That's 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5 - twelve picks and none in the later rounds. 

DRAFT - 

• 1- C Tyler Linderbaum, Boston College. The middle of the offensive line is in good hands for another decade. (Kelce)
  • 1 - CB Ahmed Gardner, Cincinatti. Stingley will be gone and there's debate among Booth, & Elam. I have Gardner as the pick here, but any of the 3 would be a replacement for Nelson. 
  • 1 - LB Devin Lloyd, Utah. Whether it's Lloyd of Dean from Georgia, the Eagles finally have a linebacker corps that isn't cringeworthy. Free agent Alexandrer, Lloyd, Davion Taylor, TJ Edwards, and Shaun Bradley takes the worry out of this position. (Avery)
  • 2 - TE Jay Wydermyer, Texas A&M. Not a need but a huge upgrade. Jack Stoll will find his employment on the Eagles practice squad. 
  • 2 - DE Sam Williams, Mississippi. At 6'4 265 he's run in the 4'4's. He'll back up BG and josh Sweat. (Barnett)
  • 2 - S Jordan Battle, Alabama. OK, many of you don't like Howie, but he's not dumb. When an Alabama player is on the board at a position of need, you draft him. Battle pairs with free agent Williams. (Harris)
  • 2 - WR Justyn Ross, Clemson. Another tall wide receiver in the 2nd round? Yep! 6'4" 4.5. Either Watkins or Reagor plays the slot while Smitha and Ross are the outside receivers.  (Ward). 
  • 3 - RB Zach Charbonnet UCLA. We have our bully back in Howard and our change of pace in Gainwell, and now we have a real 3 down back up for Sanders. (Scott)
  • 3 - DE Zach Harrison Ohio State. This fills out the DE room (Kerrigan)
  • 3 - DT LaBryan Ray, Alabama. (Ridgeway)
  • 4 - CB Tariq Woolen, Texas San Antonio. A height weight speed prospect at 6'3" 205 4.48 (take your pick - Scott, Gowan, Vincent, or Chachere)
  • 5 - QB Grayson McCall, coastal Carolina. (Sennett)

See, more fun than fantasy football and all actually doable. 

• Like 1

obvs i must be confused here.... you're trading two 1's for a 1-2-4 and a 1 for a 1-2

does that not leave us with only two 1s???

------

also unsure where the fourth 2nd comes from... we have one already, you got one more in the first trade, and one more in the second trade giving us three total

i must be missing something?

all that being said, i like the players picked

A lot to take in here, Rob.

First things first; love about all the players you took in the draft. Nothing to complain there.

The thing is...all our first rounders will likely be in the teens, maybe even late teens, early twenties. With 4 games to go, Colts will likely make the play-offs, Eagles might now that the football team is crippled, Miami on paper has two tough and two easy games. If we’re unlucky, we might not even have one top 15 pick and all will be in that 16-24 range.

Albeit every Eagles fan wants Howie to use those high picks to build talent around Hurts or Minchew. The problem here is that our GM is already rumored to be not that high on Hurts. He also explored trading for Watson for months now which makes me think he’s going to revisit that idea of trading for a proven vet.

Especially if Sirianni also isn’t sure Hurts is the right triggerman for the offense he envisioned for the Eagles.

This offseason is going to be filled with tons of discussions whether Hurts deserves a 2nd shot, Minchew is either being a better option or getting traded, rumors about the Eagles being interested in trading for Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson maybe even Jimmy G, Eagles doing a lot of work on Corral and Pickett etc etc. You get the point....until they have made a decision, we’re going to be beat to death with tons of reports.

I have no clue in which direction they decide to go but one think is pretty clear; it’s going to be a bumpy ride yet again. If I have to put money on it, the first thing Howie will try to do is trade for Russell Wilson cause the Watson stuff has not yet been resolved. If that doesn’t work out, I believe you’ll see the Eagles start focussing on draft prospects like Corral and Pickett. Basically I’m getting the feeling moving forward with Hurts is Howie’s last option when all else has failed.

20 hours ago, Overlord said:

obvs i must be confused here.... you're trading two 1's for a 1-2-4 and a 1 for a 1-2

does that not leave us with only two 1s???

Wasn't clear enough - EACH of the first 2 1's get a 1, 2, and 4. The third #1 only gets a 1 and a 2

20 hours ago, Overlord said:

also unsure where the fourth 2nd comes from... we have one already, you got one more in the first trade, and one more in the second trade giving us three total

Same answer - a 2 comes in each of the trades for the 1's. Three trades = 3 more 2's

Glad you like the picks - thanks

Please explain how the Eagles can possibly trade away what now appear to be 3 mid to late 1st-rd picks and then expect to draft 3 early 1st-rd prospects AND gain 5 additional picks of worth. Do you really think that much of Howie's capabilities?

That's a lot of moves to keep up with. I like the idea! Use our draft capital and turn it in to more draft capital. But I think that's too many young players to bring in and truly coach up. I think you'd be better making slightly fewer trades and adding some draft capital next year. 

But overall a well thought out draft bud. 

On 12/18/2021 at 3:31 PM, Crazy Legs said:

FYI, Linderbaum played at Iowa.

BTW, who is Alexandrer?

I got Linstrom and Linderbaum's alma maters sideways - thanks for the catch. 

Where do you see - Alexandrer in th post?

Regarding your question about the trades - at the time of the post we had 10, 12, and 20. Look at the value chart - the 10 and 12 picks garner a 1 in the 20's a 2 and a 4. The pick at 20 would result in a pick in the late 20's and a 2 or more likely a 1 and a 3. For a good value chart take a look at ourlads.com

23 hours ago, Rob331 said:

I got Linstrom and Linderbaum's alma maters sideways - thanks for the catch. 

Where do you see - Alexandrer in th post?

Regarding your question about the trades - at the time of the post we had 10, 12, and 20. Look at the value chart - the 10 and 12 picks garner a 1 in the 20's a 2 and a 4. The pick at 20 would result in a pick in the late 20's and a 2 or more likely a 1 and a 3. For a good value chart take a look at ourlads.com

Re: Alexandrer, please review your 3rd bullet point under draft, where you referred to a free agent.

Re: trades of 1st rounders, it is becoming increasingly likely that the 3 picks will all be in the last=half of the 1st round. We might be hard-pressed to make those picks without trading down.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 5:14 PM, Crazy Legs said:

Re: Alexandrer, please review your 3rd bullet point under draft, where you referred to a free agent.

Got it - free agent LB Kwon alexander from the Saints.