How would you do overtime in NFL?

gameshowfan91

I have no big issue with how it is now. I had no big issue with how it was before. If they just played a full 15 minutes like a fifth 'quarter', I'd be fine with that too. Play a new quarter until there's a winner. If you get to an 8th 'quarter' and there's still no winner, it's a tie, I have no issue with that. Eliminate overtime in the regular season, I have no issue with that. 

Whatever they do, it's liable to make McNabb's head explode, though... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think the one change I would make is I don't like the rule that if you score a TD on the first drive that ends the game. To me that's wrong because that then means the coin toss plays a huge importance. The other teams offense should get a chance to respond. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

The NFL lets you decide how to do overtime. How would you do it?

Go back to the old coin flip and first score wins. 15 minute O/T.

If you lose the coin flip, play defense and get the ball back.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the one change I would make is I don't like the rule that if you score a TD on the first drive that ends the game. To me that's wrong because that then means the coin toss plays a huge importance. The other teams offense should get a chance to respond. 

I’m with this. Both teams should get at least 1 possession. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think if that rule happen, teams would want to kick first.  If the other team scored first, your offense would have 4 downs to get a first down the entire drive.

1 minute ago, RPeeteRules said:

I think if that rule happen, teams would want to kick first.  If the other team scored first, your offense would have 4 downs to get a first down the entire drive.

That's fair... But I just don't think it is fair to put it on a coin toss.

18 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's fair... But I just don't think it is fair to put it on a coin toss.

I agree.  I could see the rule changed eventually, I just wonder if coaches will realize they should kick in OT first or not.  Though one could argue that if the second team scores, the first team is in sudden death mode, so they’d have the advantage at that point.

• Like 1

I would do a modified version of the NCAA.  Trade possessions until someone gets more points on a possession.  The only difference would be you start from the very beginning, with the kickoff and everything.  If the team decides to do an onside kick and recovers it, then the receiving team's possession is over, and they have to stop the opponent from scoring completely to continue the game.  Or, if a team turns the ball over, the possession is over.  Basically, all of those would be 0 points, but they could continue the game if they held the opponent to 0 points on their complimenting possession.

7 minutes ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

College rules? You go, I go, you go, I go, until team 2 can’t replicate.

I just don't think the NFL or the players want to extend the game any longer then it needs to be. These guys are at risk every play of being out for the season. Playing this back and forth game with the you go I go puts more beatings on these guys. Score and end the game period. 

On 1/15/2022 at 2:40 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. I thought it was a good idea until they implemented it. But it's clearly unfair.

I think they should do one 15 minute period, and if no one wins by then, it's a tie.

• Like 1

Personally I don't find anything wrong with a few ties a year.  We're trying to keep the players healthy over a 17 game season now, right?  How about NO overtime, except playoff games where you do college style and let it go hog wild.  The best part about allowing teams to rack up 1-3 ties /yr?  Less tie breaker BS at the end of the year.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 6:19 PM, RPeeteRules said:

And would know if they need a TD or if a FG is ok to extend the game. 

On 1/15/2022 at 10:56 AM, 20dawk4life said:

FG contest. 

this is actually not a bad idea. Kind of like in soccer it comes down to Penalty kicks in important games ie the World Cup. Best of 5. Back them up 5 yards each time. 

On 1/16/2022 at 7:20 PM, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Actually, it's You go, I go, I go, You go, You go, I go, I go....

On 1/17/2022 at 11:16 PM, JohnB said:

this is actually not a bad idea. Kind of like in soccer it comes down to Penalty kicks in important games ie the World Cup. Best of 5. Back them up 5 yards each time. 

Soccer has the worst way to end a tie.  Lesser teams with a great kicker end up playing for the tie.  That's not true to the sport.

I used to prefer sudden death OT with whoever scored points first wins. But, kickers have such great range now that I'm glad they switched to whoever scores a TD first wins and that a FG allows the other team a chance. So, I would just leave it as is.

On 1/16/2022 at 7:20 PM, xxeaglesfanxx said:

I've thought that for years. Only thing I'd do dif is have the offenses start further back than the 25. Think that's too easy