Eagles Mock Draft (01-22-2022)

Ray75

Alright, another mock!

This time I wanted to explore how a draft could look like if Howie starts wheeling and dealing / collecting draft assets for the future while still addressing major needs this year.  

It’s basically the same mock draft as my last (01-10-22) but with a couple of trades.

View it as an exercise.

Re-sign;

Brandon Graham (1 yr), Jason Kelce (1 yr),, Nate Herbig, Anthony Harris (1-2 yrs), Steven Nelson (1 yr)

Let walk;;

Brandon Brooks, (cap savings: $13,5 million, dead money $5.9 million)

Derek Barnett (cap savings $7,2 million)

Rodney McCleod

New contract/restructure;

Darius Slay (cap savings; $10-12 million).

FA;

- JuJu Smith Schuster, WR, Pittsburgh;

- Marcus Williams, S, New Orleans;

Draft;

Trade alert!

* Eagles trade pick 15 and their 2nd to the NYJ for pick 10 and a 2023 4th.

1) George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue (10);

Gut feeling; he’s exactly the type of prospect Howie & Co fall in love with.

Trade alert!

* Eagles trade pick 16 to the Detroit Lions for pick 28 and a 2023 2nd.

1) Kenyon Green, OG, Texas A&M (19);

Green can play any position on the OL except center. 

Trade alert!

* Eagles trade pick 28 to the Atlanta Falcons for pick 43 and a 2023 3rd.

2) Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington (43);

Underrated corner IMO who’ll fit right in. 

3) Channing Tindall, LB, Georgia;

Howie finally addresses the LB position.

4) Brian Robinson Jr., RB, Alabama;

Change of pace back.

5) Yusuf Corker, S, Kentucky;

Safety depth

5) Braxton Jones, OT, Southern Utah;

OL depth 

5) Ali Gaye, DE, LSU;

Another pass rusher

6) Tre Turner, WR, Virginia Tech;

WR depth

Philadelphia Eagles 2023 draft picks;

1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 7

• Like 1

It looks like a very logical Eagles draft. Lots of trade arounds, lots of logical moves made. Improve at DE and OG plus add a young CB in the second and pick up ammo next year. 

I don't love the moves but it very much looks like what may happen in April. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It looks like a very logical Eagles draft. Lots of trade arounds, lots of logical moves made. Improve at DE and OG plus add a young CB in the second and pick up ammo next year. 

I don't love the moves but it very much looks like what may happen in April. 

In april I believe Howie will both try to address pressing needs and fill the cup for next years draft.

In case Hurts doesn’t pan out, he’ll have the ammo to trade up for a QB and if Hurts does, he’ll have a boatload of draft picks to stock this roster with even more talent in 2023.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

In april I believe Howie will both try to address pressing needs and fill the cup for next years draft.

In case Hurts doesn’t pan out, he’ll have the ammo to trade up for a QB and if Hurts does, he’ll have a boatload of draft picks to stock this roster with even more talent in 2023.

The only potential issue with that is they still wouldn't have a ton to move up the following year. 

24 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The only potential issue with that is they still wouldn't have a ton to move up the following year. 

Two 2nd’s, two 3rd, two 4th and future first rounders will give Howie all the ammo in the World to do so.

Very interesting mock to read as always. A lot of mocks including the one Daniel Jeremiah just did have Karlaftis dropping to us at 15 so we might not have to trade to get him. We also are expected to have about 30 million in cap before the Slay restructure so you could probly sign a few more FA if you wanted also, especially considering 4 people got 1 year deals which area usually full of incentives to stay off the cap. 

Love the amount of ammo we would have next year in case Hurts isnt the guy after all. In this mock do we assume Gannon stays?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

Very interesting mock to read as always. A lot of mocks including the one Daniel Jeremiah just did have Karlaftis dropping to us at 15 so we might not have to trade to get him. We also are expected to have about 30 million in cap before the Slay restructure so you could probly sign a few more FA if you wanted also, especially considering 4 people got 1 year deals which area usually full of incentives to stay off the cap. 

Love the amount of ammo we would have next year in case Hurts isnt the guy after all. In this mock do we assume Gannon stays?

Thx as always!

Yeah, I’ve seen Jeremiah’s mock. I have a hard time believing Karlaftis falls out of the top 10, let alone falling right into our lap at 15. He’s the 3rd best edge rusher in a deep class but there are a ton of teams like the G-men, Jets, Falcons and Vikings to name a few in that 5-15 range who could take a pass rusher. I think we have to trade up to get him.

If the reports are correct, Gannon is the frontrunner for the Texans job. If he does become Houston’s new HC, a lot of really good veteran DC’s are looking for a job. Fangio for example would be a great hire but the guy runs a 3-4. If there was ever a good time to make a switch, it might be now. Not only are Cox and BG on the wrong side of 30, we have a boatload of picks to get guys who fit a 3-4.

43 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Thx as always!

Yeah, I’ve seen Jeremiah’s mock. I have a hard time believing Karlaftis falls out of the top 10, let alone falling right into our lap at 15. He’s the 3rd best edge rusher in a deep class but there are a ton of teams like the G-men, Jets, Falcons and Vikings to name a few in that 5-15 range who could take a pass rusher. I think we have to trade up to get him.

If the reports are correct, Gannon is the frontrunner for the Texans job. If he does become Houston’s new HC, a lot of really good veteran DC’s are looking for a job. Fangio for example would be a great hire but the guy runs a 3-4. If there was ever a good time to make a switch, it might be now. Not only are Cox and BG on the wrong side of 30, we have a boatload of picks to get guys who fit a 3-4.

I would be into Fangio. Then we could possibly look into Ojabo in a von miller type role. Pick up another edge rusher in FA to replace barnett and draft another probly too.. 

• Like 1

28 to 43 for a future 3rd is kind of a poop trade to me. We lose a year of contract rights to a player, to pickup a 3rd round pick next year? Meh. Just draft the best available person, develop him for 5 years. Why get lesser talent/control for such a toss away pick? 

1 hour ago, GoEagles614 said:

28 to 43 for a future 3rd is kind of a poop trade to me. We lose a year of contract rights to a player, to pickup a 3rd round pick next year? Meh. Just draft the best available person, develop him for 5 years. Why get lesser talent/control for such a toss away pick? 

You clearly are not getting the point of this mock. So many teams trade back up into the first for a specific prospect (see Ravens for Jackson), other teams try to get more picks. Nature of the game.

This exercise, if you want to call it that, is about Howie both addressing needs and collecting future draft picks. Value wise it’s about correct give or take a few points. Used the Drafttek value chart.

21 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

You clearly are not getting the point of this mock. So many teams trade back up into the first for a specific prospect (see Ravens for Jackson), other teams try to get more picks. Nature of the game.

This exercise, if you want to call it that, is about Howie both addressing needs and collecting future draft picks. Value wise it’s about correct give or take a few points. Used the Drafttek value chart.

I understand the point of this mock. But adding a 3rd round pick in lieu of a 5th year option and sacrificing possible talent isn’t really focusing on the future. Just an observation. 

You've got these draft picks multiplying like rabbits.

Getting some great players and stocking up for 2023.

Uhm, so, are we calling this thing a rebuild yet?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CouchKing said:

You've got these draft picks multiplying like rabbits.

Getting some great players and stocking up for 2023.

Uhm, so, are we calling this thing a rebuild yet?

They’d say a reload. 😂

I believe Howie will try to wheel and deal to not only get the players he wants this year but also get future draft picks.

looks to me depending on a lot of growth from Hurts, Smith and others on offense with minimal additions to the offense.. while the defense should be better if we don’t finish close to the same/ better howie and nick might not make it to 2023 to use those picks 

59 minutes ago, Cheesteakitis said:

looks to me depending on a lot of growth from Hurts, Smith and others on offense with minimal additions to the offense.. while the defense should be better if we don’t finish close to the same/ better howie and nick might not make it to 2023 to use those picks 

I see it somewhat differently.

If Hurts takes the next step and develops into a more complete pocket passer with better anticipation and accuracy, Howie will have a boatload of picks to do whatever he wants.

And if Hurts falters, he’ll have the ammo to go and get the QB he desires.

Win - win.

Lurie won’t fire Howie easily. If there’ll be a scapegoat it’ll be Sirianni.

29 minutes ago, Perforator said:

No quarterback? We shutting the factory down?

Ha, ha...

No, Howie is likely gonna take 3 QB’s in 2023.

No thanks on Karlaftis. He screams bust to me.

I'm beginning to fantasize that Green will fall to us.  I'm OK with Dickerson to center with Green as LG.