OT Rule Change

Procus

After what happened in the Patriot-Falcon SB, and last weekend during the KC - Buffalo game, it's pretty clear that the NFL overtime rules need tweaking. 

Why not just give each team one possession each in OT, whoever is on top at the end of the first set of possession wins, or if not, do it over again and see who's on top after that - a third set of possessions at most.  You would think there wouldn't be that many ties happening if that were the case, it would be fairer to the team that lost the toss, and could even let a team that wins the toss elect to kick.

3 hours ago, Procus said:

After what happened in the Patriot-Falcon SB, and last weekend during the KC - Buffalo game, it's pretty clear that the NFL overtime rules need tweaking. 

Why not just give each team one possession each in OT, whoever is on top at the end of the first set of possession wins, or if not, do it over again and see who's on top after that - a third set of possessions at most.  You would think there wouldn't be that many ties happening if that were the case, it would be fairer to the team that lost the toss, and could even let a team that wins the toss elect to kick.

Why not dispense with overtime? 

Go to penalty kicks like soccer. Field goals at increasing distances. Double elimination. Or is it 3 strikes and your out? 

or

Make Time of Possession the Tie Breaker. At the end of regulation, if tied, team that had the ball longer wins. Game over. 

If you're ahead on time of possession, you play for the tie because you have the tiebreaker.

If you're behind on time of possession, you gotta go for the 2 point conversion for the win. If you tie the score, you lose.

or (even stupider)

Flash phone numbers on the screen and America can call to vote for who wins.

Let's have football played in innings!

Or not. Maybe it's because it doesn't really happen to the Eagles much but I've never felt burned by an overtime result. I was just fine with the old original sudden death.

• Like 1

Things have to change because the game has. The new class of young QBs are just too hot for the exhausted defenses playing in OT so whoever gets the ball first has a very distinct advantage.

Both teams should have an equal number of chances to score - or just have one 10 or 15 minute OT period. 

i’ve felt for a number of years they should do it like college maybe each team starts at their own 40 like it was a kickoff out of bounds instead but each team gets a shot and if it’s still tie after the second one you have to go for 2.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:00 PM, Procus said:

What you are suggesting is basically the college rule that I have said MANY times:

As I would do it now, I would modify it to where each team gets an equal number of possessions, but.......

You start on the opponent's 40-yard line as opposed to the 25 as is done in college.

After a TD, each team is REQUIRED to go for two (no kicked PATs in OT).  Currently, in college football this is required in the second OT.

In the regular season, you can have a maximum of four OT periods in this manner with at that point, the game ending in a tie (as is done after two OTs in the CFL during the regular season) OR continue as is currently done after two OTs in college football with alternating two-point attempts until we get a set where one makes it and one fails.

In the postseason, if still tied after four OTs, we keep going as is until there is a winner.

In fairness, in college football, most games that get to overtime only wind up playing ONE extra period.  Especially staring on the opponents 40 and mandating a two-point try in OT after a TD, I suspect that would be the case in the NFL as well. 

15 minutes ago, Cheesteakitis said:

i’ve felt for a number of years they should do it like college maybe each team starts at their own 40 like it was a kickoff out of bounds instead but each team gets a shot and if it’s still tie after the second one you have to go for 2.

And I didn't see your post until after I wrote out mine. 

• Like 1

My idea is that teams do a 1st & Goal from the 10 yard line. Teams can still kick a field goal. If teams get a TD, successful tries:

"at 2 yard line: 1 point

at 5 yard line: 2 points

at 10 yard line: 3 points" (from XFL)

63 yard FG: 4 points (?)

Both teams get a chance to beat it or match it. 

Just play a 10 minute quarter as if its the 4th. That allows any situation that could happen in regulation, happen in OT. "Keeps it real".

• Like 1