mock draft 1.26.22

ibleedgreen1990

For this mock Gannon gets hired on with the Texans. We get Vic Fangio in here to replace him at D-coordinator and switch to a 3-4 defense. With pretty much our whole d-line needing to be revamped now would be the time to do this if any. As of this moment we have 27.8 million to use and a boat load of draft picks. We also get more cap space by making some trades and shifting some contracts. 

Cut:

JJ Arcega-Whiteside - WR - "The enforcer" is out of the building

Re-Sign:

Jason Kelce - Sirianni is literally sending him kegs of beer to try to get him to come back. We get 1 more year out of him. Team friendly deal with lots of incentives.

Nate Herbig - A lot of our back up o-lineman have valuable playing time, and in our offense. We need to keep these guys around.

Anthony Harris - He is a solid safety and returns for a 1-2 year deal

Retire:

Brandin Brooks - Thanks for everything! Was too bad we didnt get to see him again but understand it as its hard to come off an achilles injury at that age. Already accounted for in the 27.8 mil cap mentioned above.

Restructure:

Darius Slay - He re-works his deal so the team can add free agents and hopefully compete while hes still under contract.

Brandon Graham - Gets a team friendly restructure where he has a lot of workout incentives. 

Trades:

Fletcher Cox to the Chiefs for a 3rd, Chiefs are in their SB window and Cox has enough left in the tank to push for a SB run next season. Reid is also familiar with Cox.

Send a first round pick to the Seahawks for DK Metcalf. Wilson is possibly out and rumors already circulating that he might want to be traded too. 1 year left on his rookie deal also so we likely extend him after trading for him. Him, Smith, and Watkins...

Andre Dillard to the Falcons for a 2023 3rd. Their O-line is trash and they will likely be without Matt Ryan next year. This will likely be a top 5 pick in the 3rd round. 

Free Agents:

Donte Jackson - CB - Would be a beast to have opposite of Slay. Coming off injury and might be slightly cheaper because of that. 1 year deal

Bilal Nichols - DE - Defensive end that is familiar with Fangio and also should come cheaper that others with guys like Clowney and Chandler jones currently FA

Hasaan Reddick - OLB - Stud blitzing OLB that will start immediately for us. 

Marcus Williams  - S -This guy would be a beast in Fangios scheme. Defensive playmaker.

Draft:

1. David Ojabo - OLB/DE - Our Von Miller in Fangios defense. will be a stud pass rusher with some capability to drop back as well. Him and reddick start at OLB.

1. Sauce Gardner - CB - Stud CB that competes with Jackson to start outside. Allows us to stay competitive at CB if Jackson doesnt return after his 1 year deal or Slay retires/gets hurt.

2. Daniel Faalele - RT - Gigantic tackle that learns behind Lane and will start when he retires. 

3. Alec Lindstrom - C - Learns behind Kelce for a year and competes to start after that

3. Travon Walker - DE - Defensive lineman with capability to play multiple spots.

4. Brandon Smith - ILB - Pair him with Edwards who is continuing to develop and add depth at LB. 

5. Bubba Bolden - S - We both our safeties walk and signed Minkah. Think we could pick up another for more competition at the position. Especially with Brisker playing a hybrid role.

5. Brian Robinson - RB - Bigger back to take over for Jordan Howard moving forward

5. Andrew Voorhees - G - Competition and depth on the O line.

• Like 1

I like it a lot but Travon Walker and Brandon Smith will never last that long..

Most analysts have a first round grade on Walker. Maybe...just maybe he falls out of the first but I highly doubt it. There are some draft experts out there who even have a top 20 grade on him.

Smith might fall out of the 2nd but likely not the 3rd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

Minkah Fitzpatrick isn’t even a free agent 

Damnit read that wrong. I’ll have to swap that. Thanks for the call out on it.

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I like it a lot but Travon Walker and Brandon Smith will never last that long..

Most analysts have a first round grade on Walker. Maybe...just maybe he falls out of the first but I highly doubt it. There are some draft experts out there who even have a top 20 grade on him.

Smith might fall out of the 2nd but likely not the 3rd.

I saw a mock today for the first time that has Waller going in the first. Pretty crazy since he has been under the radar more until recently. He looks like a solid prospect though. 

experts have a lot of guys in the top 20 or even first round but there are only 32 picks in the first. Some HAVE to drop just based on that alone. But you’re right maybe not drop that far. Can’t wait to see what we do!

24 minutes ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

I saw a mock today for the first time that has Waller going in the first. Pretty crazy since he has been under the radar more until recently. He looks like a solid prospect though. 

experts have a lot of guys in the top 20 or even first round but there are only 32 picks in the first. Some HAVE to drop just based on that alone. But you’re right maybe not drop that far. Can’t wait to see what we do!

But dropping from a 1st or early 2nd round grade all the way to the middle of the 3rd, you have to do something really stupid or get terribly injured.

This kid is raw but has all the potential in the World. He has the perfect size and the athletisism to become a really good player at the next level and is right up there with the best in the class. Like Ojabo, he’s just not a finished product.

FYI I have seen multiple mocks in the last few weeks that had Walker going in the first. Even one on CBS if I’m not mistaken who had him going to the Eagles at 15.

20 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

But dropping from a 1st or early 2nd round grade all the way to the middle of the 3rd, you have to do something really stupid or get terribly injured.

This kid is raw but has all the potential in the World. He has the perfect size and the athletisism to become a really good player at the next level and is right up there with the best in the class. Like Ojabo, he’s just not a finished product.

FYI I have seen multiple mocks in the last few weeks that had Walker going in the first. Even one on CBS if I’m not mistaken who had him going to the Eagles at 15.

I’ll have to agree to disagree with you there. People have mocks all the time that are all over the place it doesn’t always mean people are a lock for any given round. 

usually players with "all the tools but aren’t proven yet” get taken in rounds 2-3 and when they get taken in the first it’s usually a reach. If walker gets taken anywhere in the first the team either reached like crazy or the team needs de like crazy. 

ojabo and walker are similar I guess in that they haven’t reached their ceiling. But let’s not generalize them into the same tier player right now just because they haven’t. 

Think this same logic results in moves like taking jjaw over dk or taking reagor over Jefferson.

5 hours ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

I’ll have to agree to disagree with you there. People have mocks all the time that are all over the place it doesn’t always mean people are a lock for any given round. 

usually players with "all the tools but aren’t proven yet” get taken in rounds 2-3 and when they get taken in the first it’s usually a reach. If walker gets taken anywhere in the first the team either reached like crazy or the team needs de like crazy. 

ojabo and walker are similar I guess in that they haven’t reached their ceiling. But let’s not generalize them into the same tier player right now just because they haven’t. 

Think this same logic results in moves like taking jjaw over dk or taking reagor over Jefferson.

We’ll see but I’m pretty sure a guy like Walker won’t be there in the third.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 10:53 AM, ibleedgreen1990 said:

For this mock Gannon gets hired on with the Texans. We get Vic Fangio in here to replace him at D-coordinator and switch to a 3-4 defense. With pretty much our whole d-line needing to be revamped now would be the time to do this if any. As of this moment we have 27.8 million to use and a boat load of draft picks. We also get more cap space by making some trades and shifting some contracts. 

Cut:

JJ Arcega-Whiteside - WR - "The enforcer" is out of the building

Re-Sign:

Jason Kelce - Sirianni is literally sending him kegs of beer to try to get him to come back. We get 1 more year out of him. Team friendly deal with lots of incentives.

Nate Herbig - A lot of our back up o-lineman have valuable playing time, and in our offense. We need to keep these guys around.

Anthony Harris - He is a solid safety and returns for a 1-2 year deal

Retire:

Brandin Brooks - Thanks for everything! Was too bad we didnt get to see him again but understand it as its hard to come off an achilles injury at that age. Already accounted for in the 27.8 mil cap mentioned above.

Restructure:

Darius Slay - He re-works his deal so the team can add free agents and hopefully compete while hes still under contract.

Brandon Graham - Gets a team friendly restructure where he has a lot of workout incentives. 

Trades:

Fletcher Cox to the Chiefs for a 3rd, Chiefs are in their SB window and Cox has enough left in the tank to push for a SB run next season. Reid is also familiar with Cox.

Send a first round pick to the Seahawks for DK Metcalf. Wilson is possibly out and rumors already circulating that he might want to be traded too. 1 year left on his rookie deal also so we likely extend him after trading for him. Him, Smith, and Watkins...

Andre Dillard to the Falcons for a 2023 3rd. Their O-line is trash and they will likely be without Matt Ryan next year. This will likely be a top 5 pick in the 3rd round. 

Free Agents:

Donte Jackson - CB - Would be a beast to have opposite of Slay. Coming off injury and might be slightly cheaper because of that. 1 year deal

Bilal Nichols - DE - Defensive end that is familiar with Fangio and also should come cheaper that others with guys like Clowney and Chandler jones currently FA

Hasaan Reddick - OLB - Stud blitzing OLB that will start immediately for us. 

Marcus Williams  - S -This guy would be a beast in Fangios scheme. Defensive playmaker.

Draft:

1. David Ojabo - OLB/DE - Our Von Miller in Fangios defense. will be a stud pass rusher with some capability to drop back as well. Him and reddick start at OLB.

1. Sauce Gardner - CB - Stud CB that competes with Jackson to start outside. Allows us to stay competitive at CB if Jackson doesnt return after his 1 year deal or Slay retires/gets hurt.

2. Daniel Faalele - RT - Gigantic tackle that learns behind Lane and will start when he retires. 

3. Alec Lindstrom - C - Learns behind Kelce for a year and competes to start after that

3. Travon Walker - DE - Defensive lineman with capability to play multiple spots.

4. Brandon Smith - ILB - Pair him with Edwards who is continuing to develop and add depth at LB. 

5. Bubba Bolden - S - We both our safeties walk and signed Minkah. Think we could pick up another for more competition at the position. Especially with Brisker playing a hybrid role.

5. Brian Robinson - RB - Bigger back to take over for Jordan Howard moving forward

5. Andrew Voorhees - G - Competition and depth on the O line.

Bleeding Green - thanks. I'd be thrilled if this came to pass so you made me smile - BUT

We start the off season with $24M in cap space. Figure Kelce for $7M, that's $17M left. Resigning Harris and Herbig, maybe another $5M leaving $12M. Then there's the draft choices so figure $5M and now we're down to $7M. Need $4M during the season for contingencies so we have $3M. Trading Cox will cost us cap space and I don't think restructuring Graham and Slay (AGAIN) is prudent for the future. All that being said, I don't think your free agency haul is realistic. 

Regarding the draft - I like your 1st round alot. If I were nitpicking, I'd probably say I prefer Jermaine Johnson over Ojabo at this point, but the combine will tell us more about the 2 of them. In any event I'd be more than happy with your 1st round. 

From there on you and I are out of sync - we need playmakers on the 2nd day, not potential future replacements. There's always next year for that. Walker will never last until the 3rd and might not be there when we draft in the 2nd, but if he's there then select him. I'd probably even take him instead of Ojabo or Johnson in the 1st. Smith is a likely 2nd round selection so I think he'll be gone in yur scenario also. 

All the above simply says you are very optimistic, and you've given a great deal of thought to our needs. Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Bleeding Green - thanks. I'd be thrilled if this came to pass so you made me smile - BUT

We start the off season with $24M in cap space. Figure Kelce for $7M, that's $17M left. Resigning Harris and Herbig, maybe another $5M leaving $12M. Then there's the draft choices so figure $5M and now we're down to $7M. Need $4M during the season for contingencies so we have $3M. Trading Cox will cost us cap space and I don't think restructuring Graham and Slay (AGAIN) is prudent for the future. All that being said, I don't think your free agency haul is realistic. 

Regarding the draft - I like your 1st round alot. If I were nitpicking, I'd probably say I prefer Jermaine Johnson over Ojabo at this point, but the combine will tell us more about the 2 of them. In any event I'd be more than happy with your 1st round. 

From there on you and I are out of sync - we need playmakers on the 2nd day, not potential future replacements. There's always next year for that. Walker will never last until the 3rd and might not be there when we draft in the 2nd, but if he's there then select him. I'd probably even take him instead of Ojabo or Johnson in the 1st. Smith is a likely 2nd round selection so I think he'll be gone in yur scenario also. 

All the above simply says you are very optimistic, and you've given a great deal of thought to our needs. Thanks!

Appreciate the feedback! Can’t wait to see how it plays out. 

Cox trade doesn’t make sense  if the the chiefs take on that they would be over the cap for sure. A team like the Bengals, Colts, Chargers would be a team that could take on his huge contract. 

A lot of your players too won’t be there at the time you drafted them  No way Walker would last until mid round 3. I like the idea of your draft but it’s a bit unrealistic 

Reddick Jackson and Williams would be highly expensive and cost more than what you think they are too

• Like 1