Who Will the Rams Play on Thursday Night Football for Season Opener?

AlpineEagle

Rams Season Opener  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Opponents

• Arizona Cardinals
    • Atlanta Falcons
    • Buffalo Bills
    • Carolina Panthers
    • Dallas Cowboys
    • Denver Broncos
    • Las Vegas Raiders
    • San Francisco 49ers
    • Seattle Seahawks

I would imagine it would be the 49ers. They beat them barely in the conference championship and they will most likely be starting Trey Lance at that point, so it could be a marquee game.

2 hours ago, pallidrone said:

I would imagine it would be the 49ers. They beat them barely in the conference championship and they will most likely be starting Trey Lance at that point, so it could be a marquee game.

It’s probably an embarrassment for the NFL, though, when the crowd in the home opener is cheering for the other team. That’s why I chose the Bills even though 49ers makes the most football sense.

I’m sure Jerry Jones will try to get in on that game. I know he played the opener this past year but Dallas in LA? He already got them in the Sofi opener two seasons ago. I can see him trying again. 

I wouldn’t mind seeing Buffalo. 

• Like 1

Bills make the most sense.  While they have a strong fan base, I doubt they would come out in big numbers to be in LA the Thursday after Labor Day.  

Would the NFL actually have them open "on the road" against the Chargers (same building)?  That would likely assure a full house of LA fans for the opener.  

On 2/14/2022 at 6:03 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

I’m sure Jerry Jones will try to get in on that game. I know he played the opener this past year but Dallas in LA? He already got them in the Sofi opener two seasons ago. I can see him trying again. 

I wouldn’t mind seeing Buffalo. 

I doubt the NFL would want to risk SoFi being full of Cowboys fans for the opening game.  Same reason I don't see them opening against the Raiders.

I could see where the Rams actually open as the "visiting" team against their co-tenant Chargers and the NFL pays the Chargers to allow the Rams to have their festivities that night. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

I doubt the NFL would want to risk SoFi being full of Cowboys fans for the opening game.  Same reason I don't see them opening against the Raiders.

I could see where the Rams actually open as the "visiting" team against their co-tenant Chargers and the NFL pays the Chargers to allow the Rams to have their festivities that night. 

I’m not saying the league would schedule Dallas, but I can see Jerry putting his name in the hat.  

I don’t see the Chargers doing that or the league asking them to. While the Rams don’t have a fan base to fill that stadium, the Chargers are likely even worse. The 15-20 Ram fans that do exist will want a game they can use their own tickets to. Buffalo is a good choice as they present a good team, and it may be harder for Buffalo fans to get there en masse for a regular season game. 

21 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

The 15-20 Ram fans that do exist will want a game they can use their own tickets to.

Come on now they one the super bowl! Some young person probably caught a glimpse of the game and decided they might root for them now.

Also why can't the Rams just be the home team against the chargers? What am I missing? Does the super bowl winner have to be away?

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Come on now they one the super bowl! Some young person probably caught a glimpse of the game and decided they might root for them now.

Also why can't the Rams just be the home team against the chargers? What am I missing? Does the super bowl winner have to be away?

Aside from the Ravens a few years ago, the SB winner hosts the opening Thursday night game. 

19 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Aside from the Ravens a few years ago, the SB winner hosts the opening Thursday night game. 

Soooo why can't the Rams just host the chargers? 

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Because in spite of them sharing a stadium, the Chargers are scheduled to be the "home” team in their match up this year. Just Like the Jets and Giants alternate as the designated home team every 4 years. 

59 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I’m not saying the league would schedule Dallas, but I can see Jerry putting his name in the hat.  

I don’t see the Chargers doing that or the league asking them to. While the Rams don’t have a fan base to fill that stadium, the Chargers are likely even worse. The 15-20 Ram fans that do exist will want a game they can use their own tickets to. Buffalo is a good choice as they present a good team, and it may be harder for Buffalo fans to get there en masse for a regular season game. 

Buffalo does make the most sense, since as noted it's not as likely their fans would make the long trek right after summer ends. 

44 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Because in spite of them sharing a stadium, the Chargers are scheduled to be the "home” team in their match up this year. Just Like the Jets and Giants alternate as the designated home team every 4 years. 

Ohhh ok, I lose track of what's going on when Wally is involved. I didn't feel like looking on my own lol. 

So pay the chargers to hold their festivities it is then!

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

Ohhh ok, I lose track of what's going on when Wally is involved. I didn't feel like looking on my own lol. 

So pay the chargers to hold their festivities it is then!

Lol, if they’re ok doing that, who am I to complain?

The 6 Chargers fans might gripe a bit though. 

7 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Lol, if they’re ok doing that, who am I to complain?

The 6 Chargers fans might gripe a bit though. 

I like the chargers sometimes.... 6.5 jerk

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

The home/away schedule has already been made and they’re in different conferences. LAC host LAR this year.

Bills would be the obvious choice, probably 2 of the top 3 faves going into the season.  AFC v.s NFC, east vs west.  If they deem that game too valuable for a night everybody will watch anyways, then Raiders would be next up IMHO.  Another AFC playoff team and they would help fill up the stadium with LA roots.  It won't be the Cowboys for the 2nd straight year.  Divisional games are saved for 2nd half of season.

• 2 weeks later...

Given Russell Wilson was just traded to the Broncos, I now think Broncos-Rams catapults from Bills-Rams to the top of the list with Bills-Rams likely sometime in October.

Also now think Broncos-Seahawks (Wilson's return to Seattle) is the Week 2 Monday night game on ESPN and ABC. 

• Like 2