2022 mock offseason -- the linear approach

hoosierdaddy

Ok, let's tackle this in the order that the four phases of the offseason happen:

1. Re-sign our priority players before FA
  2. Free agency
  3. Draft
  4. Post-draft FA scrap heap

1. Who do we re-sign?

• Rodney McLeod: we're thin at safety, very thin. Let's bring back the grizzled veteran for one more season
  • Keep on speed dial to fill post-draft holes if they don't sign elsewhere: Steven Nelson, Hassan Ridgeway

2. Free agency:

• WR DJ Chark: bring in a big-bodied WR who runs good routes to start opposite Smith
  • WR Zac Pascal:  bring in another big-bodied WR who is familiar with Siri's system
  • DE Al Quadin-Muhammad: bring in another pass rusher with Barnett being shown the door and BG coming off an achilles injury
  • OLB Anthony Barr: talented and productive starting OLB who we should be able to get at a reasonable price

Roster pre-draft:

• QB: Hurts, Minshew
  • RB: Sanders, Scott, Gainwell, Huntley
  • TE: Goedert, Stoll, TJax
  • WR: Smith, Chark, Watkins, Pascal, Reagor, Ward
  • OT: Johnson, Mailata, Dillard, Driscoll
  • OG: Dickerson, Seumalo, Herbig, Opeta
  • OC: Kelce
  • DE: Graham, Sweat, Quadin-Muhammad, Jackson
  • DT: Hargrave, Cox, Williams, Tuipulotu
  • OLB: Barr, Taylor, Singleton, Johnson
  • MLB: Edwards, Bradley
  • S: McLeod, Epps, Wallace
  • CB: Slay, McPherson, Maddox, Gowan

Draft:

• Round 1: Kenyon Green (OG, Texas A&M) -- this guy has the potential to be Brandon Brooks 2.0
  • Round 1: Travon Walker (DE, Georgia) -- this guy has the potential to be Brandon Graham 2.0
  • Round 1: Roger McCreary (CB, Auburn) -- let's get a legit CB prospect to develop opposite Slay
  • Round 2: Trade for a conditional '23 pick (1st or 2nd rounder depending on where the pick is) and '22 3rd rounder 
  • Round 3: Jeremy Ruckert (TE Ohio State) -- get a legit #2 TE to pair with Goedert
  • Round 3: Wan'dale Robinson (WR, Kentucky) -- we added two big-bodied WRs in free agency. Now let's add a playmaker to the slot position (and move on from Reagor)
  • Round 4: Nick Cross (S, Maryland) -- an athletic free safety prospect to learn under McLeod
  • Round 5: Matt Henningsen (DT, Wisconsin) -- at attacking 1-gap DT to mix into the rotation
  • Round 5: Reed Blankenship (S, Middle Tennessee) -- more of a strong safety type who could fit into the 3-man rotation. Would compete with Wallace for a roster spot.
  • Round 5: Tyler Vrabel (OT, Boston College) -- can never have enough offensive linemen
  • Round 6: Haskell Garrett (DT, Ohio State) -- and can never have enough defensive linemen
  • Round 6: Damarion Williams (CB, Houston) -- slot CB to develop behind Maddox, can also play some safety in a pinch

Post-draft moves:

• Trade Dillard for a future draft pick, probably a conditional 6th or 7th
  • Cut Reagor, Ward, Tuipoluto, Tyree Jackson
  • Sign a veteran safety off of the scrap heap in case one of Wallace/Cross/Blankenship doesn't develop into a playable third safety to mix in with McLeod and Epps.

Roster post-draft:

• QB: Hurts, Minshew
  • RB: Sanders, Scott, Gainwell, Huntley
  • TE: Goedert, Ruckert, Stoll
  • WR: Smith, Chark, Watkins, Pascal, Robinson
  • OT: Johnson, Mailata, Driscoll, Vrabel
  • OG: Dickerson, Seumalo, Green, Herbig
  • OC: Kelce, Opeta
  • DE: Graham, Sweat, Quadin-Muhammad, Walker, Jackson
  • DT: Hargrave, Cox, Williams, Henningsen, Garrett
  • OLB: Barr, Taylor, Singleton, Johnson
  • MLB: Edwards, Bradley
  • S: McLeod, vet FA, Epps, Cross/Blankenship/Wallace (pick 2 of those 3)
  • CB: Slay, McCreary, Maddox, McPherson, Gowan/Williams
  • ST: Elliott, Lovato, Siposs
  • Like 1

This is thorough. There's a lot to unbundle here. Thanks

As always, I have a few thoughts.

Re-sign

• I don't really know Harris or McLoud or neither. Ok - let's keep McCloud. 
  • Ridgeway and Nelson. If they don't sign elsewhere? So when do you re-sign them? Before the draft? After the draft? My guess is Nelson gets an offer we can't match, and Ridgeway sits out there deep into the off-season. 

Free Agency - Bingo. Great job! Hope we can afford it. 

Draft - here's where we have a few differences

• Round 1: Kenyon Green (OG, Texas A&M) -- Don't need him. Seumalo, Driscoll, Herbig. Opeta, and Awisoka are all on the roster. We have other needs. I'd like Leal here.
  • Round 1: Travon Walker (DE, Georgia) -- Great pick
  • Round 1: Roger McCreary (CB, Auburn) -- I'd do it too if Elam isn't available. 
  • Round 2: Trade for a conditional '23 pick. Not my cup of tea. I'd keep the pick and take LB Christian Harris or a safety since we still need another starter  
  • Round 3: Jeremy Ruckert (TE Ohio State) --love the pick
  • Round 3: Wan'dale Robinson (WR, Kentucky) -- I'm with you positionally, just don't know if Robinson is the guy. There are a bevy of 2nd day WR's out there. Take the highest still on the board. Robinson, Pierce, Doubs, Bell, Watson, Tolbert, Metchie, Pickens, or Ross. 
  • Round 4: Nick Cross (S, Maryland) -- a little late but since we still need one, I'm good with this pick. Nice find!
  • Round 5: Matt Henningsen (DT, Wisconsin) -- If we go with Leal we go another direction. How about a backup CB like Castro-Fields or Armour-Davis. 
  • Round 5: Reed Blankenship (S, Middle Tennessee) -- Don't forget running back. I've seen Robinson rated from 2nd round to 5th. If he's here run to the podium. If not, Haskins would be a nice pick. 
  • Round 5: Tyler Vrabel (OT, Boston College) -- only if you trade Dilllard and I'd prefer Eze .
  • Round 6: Haskell Garrett (DT, Ohio State) -- I like it. See - you got your second DT but now it's Leal and Garrett instead of Henningsen and Garrett
  • Round 6: Damarion Williams (CB, Houston) -- we have enough small corners already. My choice would be a punter - Araiza or Camarda. 

Post draft - works for me. 

Great read - thanks a million. 

• Like 1

i could live with most of this sofor right now i’ll skip down to some comments on post draft moves… while rob says works for him it really doesn’t for me.. unless you really need the 2 million i think it is for dillard in cap savings you’re trading him away for basically NOTHING he was solid this year when called on and i think you should get more in return if not keep him as insurance maybe he looks good enough in the preseason for someone or he signs a halfway decent free agent contract and you get a better comp pick down the road then this trade nets.

Reagor… depending when you cut him it’s costing you 4.22- 2.4 million in lost cap space a much better idea is to find a trade partner… while it might not be the best trade in this plan an idea i’ve floated in my head is… reagor for N'Keal Harry both former first round picks that a change of scenery might do them some good. Harry is on the last year of his contract and reagor has 2 years. contact for the year pretty much an even swap.

also wouldn’t just cut tyree Jackson either i think he could turn into something and i think if i added correct you have a few open roster spots. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 5:13 PM, Cheesteakitis said:

i could live with most of this sofor right now i’ll skip down to some comments on post draft moves… while rob says works for him it really doesn’t for me.. unless you really need the 2 million i think it is for dillard in cap savings you’re trading him away for basically NOTHING he was solid this year when called on and i think you should get more in return if not keep him as insurance maybe he looks good enough in the preseason for someone or he signs a halfway decent free agent contract and you get a better comp pick down the road then this trade nets.

Reagor… depending when you cut him it’s costing you 4.22- 2.4 million in lost cap space a much better idea is to find a trade partner… while it might not be the best trade in this plan an idea i’ve floated in my head is… reagor for N'Keal Harry both former first round picks that a change of scenery might do them some good. Harry is on the last year of his contract and reagor has 2 years. contact for the year pretty much an even swap.

also wouldn’t just cut tyree Jackson either i think he could turn into something and i think if i added correct you have a few open roster spots. 

Agreed. Generally a solid off-season but agree with the points above. Dillard in particular we should not get rid off for less than a high 4th. He’s pretty good at LT and relatively cheap.

Free agency wise, I think Chark and Pascal is overkill. One will just be fine. This off-season leaves us really weak in the secondary for me. I feel we really need a decent safety in free agency, even if we do re-sign McLeod. This also puts pressure on your corner to start straight away. I’d also prefer Booth or McDuffie over McCearry.