Report says Carson Wentz had a problem with the Eagles' Super Bowl run

time2rock

Report says Carson Wentz had a problem with the Eagles' Super Bowl run

Wentz was reportedly unhappy with the Eagles' success in 2017 while he was sidelined with a torn ACL.

NickTricome.jpg
BY NICK TRICOME
PhillyVoice Staff
Carson-Wentz-Colts_111821_usatROBERT SCHEER/INDYSTAR VIA USA TODAY NETWORK

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Carson Wentz.

It's been a rough few months for Carson Wentz's reputation, and on Wednesday things might've gotten worse.

In a review of some leftovers from the NFL Combine, The Inquirer's Jeff McLane wrote about the differences between the former Eagles quarterback and the current starter Jalen Hurts, adding another knock to Wentz's growing list of accountability issues over the years.

This one goes all the way back to the Eagles' Super Bowl run in 2017, while Wentz was out with a torn ACL.

From McLane:

Sometime before the championship game, Wentz voiced his displeasure with the Eagles’ success to a group of other injured players, sources with direct knowledge of the incident said. One of the players immediately confronted him and the two eventually had to be separated.

Wentz certainly had his supporters or those that sympathized with the obstacles he faced in Philly. If he was more successful, others would have likely been willing to overlook some of his personality quirks.

But the Eagles’ predraft evaluation didn’t place enough emphasis on questionable character traits or that he lacked the mental strength to accept hard coaching and personnel decisions that directly affected him. [The Inquirer]

Wentz's character and leadership have been under question ever since Joseph's Santoliquito's story ran in January 2019, where numerous sources within or connected to the Eagles painted him as "selfish" and "uncompromising."

The team quickly went into damage control and made the playoffs with Wentz as the starter that next season, but the concerns remained and the Carson Wentz-Nick Foles debate that came with the Super Bowl title five years ago never really went away.

Everything quickly fell apart in 2020, leading to the firing of Doug Pederson and the trade of Wentz to a QB-desperate Indianapolis.

The Eagles went on to make the playoffs with first-year coach Nick Sirianni on the sidelines and Hurts under center, while the Colts collapsed down the stretch, missing the postseason largely because of Wentz's performance.

The Colts seem to be done with him altogether now, but they may have a harder time moving on than the Eagles originally did. 

UPDATE [2:16 p.m.]: Nevermind.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/carson-wentz-eagles-super-bowl-issues-colts-nfl/

One day, I want to see Wentz on an episode of "A Football Life", lol.

I've always said playing QB successfully is 2/3 about talent and the other 1/3 is all in the head - the latter is where he seems to fail.  

• Like 1

One of the players immediately confronted him and the two eventually had to be separated.

Jason Peters?

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Thinking maybe Jeffery?

Jeffery wasn't injured, though. It was one of the injured players that Wentz was talking to, that confronted him (if I'm reading that right). 

Sometime before the championship game, Wentz voiced his displeasure with the Eagles’ success to a group of other injured players, sources with direct knowledge of the incident said. One of the players immediately confronted him and the two eventually had to be separated.

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

That's outrageous if it really happened.  The statement is so vague though that you really don't know what transpired.  Wentz is on track to be the second coming of Jeff George.

This was already proven false yesterday.  It was a Sproles pick me up talk in the training room and nothing more.  Ike Reese said on the radio yesterday it was blown out of proportion by Myth's McLane.

7 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Jeffery wasn't injured, though. It was one of the injured players that Wentz was talking to, that confronted him (if I'm reading that right). 

Maybe it was Darren Sproles he was injured

1 minute ago, Bleed Green said:

Maybe it was Darren Sproles he was injured

He doesn't seem to have that sort of personality, though. Not to where he'd need to be pulled off someone. Of course, I only know what we see as the public. I have no clue what he's like in the locker room. JP was the first person that came to my mind, though.  

No doubt Wentz has some quirks... But this article seems like kicking a man when he's down.

1 hour ago, toolg said:

No doubt Wentz has some quirks... But this article seems like kicking a man when he's down.

He got a new team, a fresh start he didn‘t deserve and how many millions? If that qualifies as down, I‘d like to be down too.

3 minutes ago, Infam said:

He got a new team, a fresh start he didn‘t deserve and how many millions? If that qualifies as down, I‘d like to be down too.

Then start practicing football.

3 hours ago, toolg said:

Why should we feel sorry for him? He did it to himself. The report about him being a locker room issue in Indy sounds awfully familiar. 

It does seem slightly coincidental that this comes out at this time. This alleged incident is 4 years old now? I mean look I don't like Wentz and there's definitely some leadership issues there but still. 

58 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It does seem slightly coincidental that this comes out at this time. This alleged incident is 4 years old now? I mean look I don't like Wentz and there's definitely some leadership issues there but still. 

This story is incorrect.  It was a conversation between Sproles and Wentz in the training room, Wentz was moping, and Sproles gave him a pep talk.  It was blown out of proportion by Jeff McLane, Ike Reese confirmed all this on the radio yesterday.

32 minutes ago, downundermike said:

This story is incorrect.  It was a conversation between Sproles and Wentz in the training room, Wentz was moping, and Sproles gave him a pep talk.  It was blown out of proportion by Jeff McLane, Ike Reese confirmed all this on the radio yesterday.

So if Ike Reese says that it‘s true. And if Blount and Mitchell say Sproles almost whipped his ass that‘s a lie. How would you know?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, downundermike said:

And look I'm not going to argue that. We weren't there so we don't know. But the point that he was moping shows that he's not a leader. And now he's on to his third team in 3 years so that backs that up. 

• Like 1

I was all in on Carson during the 2017/2018 season (and I loved Foles as well) but my wife noticed something when Foles was given the Lombardi trophy during the SB celebration after the win, my wife heard Wentz who was standing next to Foles say to him "thanks for keeping it warm for me.”  I rewound the recording and I heard it as well.  While I dismissed it at the time, it clearly showed that his ego was bigger than the team. 

i’m sorry that I no longer have a recording of the game to provide the data, but I think it was interesting foreshadowing of what was to come with Carson’s apparent self created downward spiral. 

6 hours ago, eggs said:

I was all in on Carson during the 2017/2018 season (and I loved Foles as well) but my wife noticed something when Foles was given the Lombardi trophy during the SB celebration after the win, my wife heard Wentz who was standing next to Foles say to him "thanks for keeping it warm for me.”  I rewound the recording and I heard it as well.  While I dismissed it at the time, it clearly showed that his ego was bigger than the team. 

i’m sorry that I no longer have a recording of the game to provide the data, but I think it was interesting foreshadowing of what was to come with Carson’s apparent self created downward spiral. 

Good thing I have the full Eagles playoff run on Blu ray.  I will take a look today.

15 hours ago, downundermike said:

That's entirely in character with McLane.  There's a reason why players punk him at PC's.

On 3/10/2022 at 8:27 PM, downundermike said:

This was already proven false yesterday.  It was a Sproles pick me up talk in the training room and nothing more.  Ike Reese said on the radio yesterday it was blown out of proportion by Myth's McLane.

Ike Reese saying something, doesn’t mean it was "proven false”.