Matt Ryan to the Colts

eglz1

Add Matt Ryan to the lengthy list of quarterbacks changing uniforms in 2022.

The longtime Atlanta signal-caller is leaving Georgia for Indianapolis after the Colts agreed to trade a third-round pick (No. 82 overall) in April's draft to the Falcons, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero, Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo reported Monday.

Until Monday, Ryan's standing within the Falcons franchise remained unchanged since he arrived as the third-overall pick in 2008. He was drafted to be Atlanta's franchise quarterback and became just that, earning four Pro Bowl nods, a first-team All-Pro selection, and winning NFL Most Valuable Player honors in 2016, a season in which he led the Falcons to the Super Bowl. As faces have changed, Ryan has remained the constant for over 10 years.

Now, he's trading red and black for the Colts' blue and white.

https://www.nfl.com/news/matt-ryan-colts-falcons-trade-2022-third-round-pick

Yikes, someone gave up a 3rd for this well-past-his-prime QB?  I guess when you have a running game as strong as Indy does, that buys you the extra 3-5 seconds Ryan now needs to read a defense and release the ball.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vee said:

Yikes, someone gave up a 3rd for this well-past-his-prime QB?  I guess when you have a running game as strong as Indy does, that buys you the extra 3-5 seconds Ryan now needs to read a defense and release the ball.

They gave up a 1st and a 3rd for a QB who had been pretty much the worst in the NFL that year too...

Looks like a solid short term solution for Indy.  Ryan's better than anyone they've had since Luck.

10 hours ago, Procus said:

Looks like a solid short term solution for Indy.  Ryan's better than anyone they've had since Luck.

I guess we're gonna find out....if the bar wasn't so low, I'd bet you money on that....

I've watched him play.  He just seems like an old man out there.  Yeah, he can still throw the ball, he just looks like he has to wind up now to make the throws.  He really looks slow.

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I guess that's a slap in the face of Mayfield lol

And the 49'ers who overplayed their hand trying to sell Crappupalot like he's anything more than a fringe starter.

15 hours ago, Procus said:

This is Phillip Rivers part deux.  Matt Ryan scares absolutely nobody at this stage in his career, if he ever did.

1 hour ago, GA4M said:

Poor guy, he puts so much into it, but he may never get it done.

I feel like he did get it done in his super bowl appearance against the Patriots. His coach and defense failed him. 

• Like 2

Reich will probably be able to get the most out of him.

21 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I feel like he did get it done in his super bowl appearance against the Patriots. His coach and defense failed him. 

Exactly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly think Ryan has always been overrated. Now he’s washed up and not even his usual slightly above average self. No idea what the Colds would want him. The fact they wanted Carson out and Matt effing Ryan is their replacement says a lot. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 4:58 PM, nipples said:

I honestly think Ryan has always been overrated. Now he’s washed up and not even his usual slightly above average self. No idea what the Colds would want him. The fact they wanted Carson out and Matt effing Ryan is their replacement says a lot. 

I’ve never been the biggest Matt Ryan fan, but he did have an MVP year. That was pretty impressive.

22 hours ago, SB52 said:

I’ve never been the biggest Matt Ryan fan, but he did have an MVP year. That was pretty impressive.

Carson Wentz had one of those seasons too… 

Ryan has had like two great seasons and outside of that has been pretty mediocre.

22 hours ago, nipples said:

Carson Wentz had one of those seasons too… 

Ryan has had like two great seasons and outside of that has been pretty mediocre.

Ryan has been consistently above average.  He had an MVP year when he was at his peak on a loaded offense with a brilliant OC.  At this age and point, he's just consistently very average with painfully little upside.

A good line will make him seem in his early 30s