Christian Watson (North Dakota State WR) -- DRAFTED BY GREEN BAY #34

Aerolithe_Lion

I was gonna make this thread earlier, but I forgot. I am from Fargo and devastated I missed it.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/nfl-network-analyst-projects-former-bison-receiver-watson-as-a-late-1st-round-selection-new-mahomes-target

He may look like a little speed demon a la JRoss or Ruggs, but don't overlook the fact that this man is taller than Larry Fitzgerald, DK Metcalf, and Julio Jones:

image.png.bf4c3a7d51d7b6712119f899e9bf2d30.png

9.98 on the 10 yard split, for a guy who’s 6’4….

For context, his 10 and 20 yard burst is slightly faster than Tyreek Hill’s combine performance:

image.png.47d3f1861d9d52c48979c32f7686b6f0.png

…and Julio’s….

image.png.b00434c0dedfc2ebd0f701ea473debda.png

…and Calvin Johnson’s….

image.png

…and DJax….

desean-jackson-ras-8149.png?resize=806%2C522&ssl=1

…and DK…

image.png.590a8289d34e964d30bdda018e987320.png

…and John Ross?

image.png.7bf34ebd7739a516d87a3c24cff3cf30.png

There’s no way we can’t find a WR who ran a 10 or 20 yard split better. Really?

His comp is MVS. Listened to Greg Cosell because I didn’t watch any ND State games and Cosell ain’t that high on him. I would not touch him in the first two rounds. Questionable hands and route tree. Not what the Eagles need as we already have enough guys on the team that are questionable in both areas

• 2 weeks later...

I like the athletic ability he shows as a returner and on end arounds. Some projections have him going in the late first now.

On 3/28/2022 at 6:15 AM, philafan4o8 said:

Questionable hands and route tree. 

Those were two of the knocks on Metcalf (along with his injury history). 

37 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Those were two of the knocks on Metcalf (along with his injury history). 

Fair enough but I will say Metcalf in SEC is different than a guy who runs 4.3 at North Dakota state

9 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Fair enough but I will say Metcalf in SEC is different than a guy who runs 4.3 at North Dakota state

Watson's  rapid rise up draft charts should steer us away. We don't have a reputation for developing WRs nor do we have an established vet QB. Our offense is already a work in progress.  Personally, I'll be happy if we use as many early picks on defense as possible. If we can get a WR in the 3rd rd or later, I'm fine with that. I like Smith and was really impressed with Watkins' progress last season. I believe Sirianni when he says Watkins is a WR2. With Pascal and Ward we have a couple guys that can be counted on for roles at worst.

36 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Watson's  rapid rise up draft charts should steer us away. We don't have a reputation for developing WRs nor do we have an established vet QB. Our offense is already a work in progress.  Personally, I'll be happy if we use as many early picks on defense as possible. If we can get a WR in the 3rd rd or later, I'm fine with that. I like Smith and was really impressed with Watkins' progress last season. I believe Sirianni when he says Watkins is a WR2. With Pascal and Ward we have a couple guys that can be counted on for roles at worst.

I do wonder why so many seem to either forget about or dimiss Quez.  He did decent for his 2nd season and if he continues to improve on his current trajectory then he'll be a solid deep threat weapon and even intermediate with perhaps adding some slants/screens to get some YAC.  He did have a couple bad drops last season (dropping a TD in the DEN game was probably the biggest), but he was also open at times and didn't get a look. 

We might not have a rep for developing WRs, but that's sort of Sirianni's thing.  And from some of the video of practices he does seem to get involved in the WR drills.  Maybe that trend can change?

15 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I agree on your Watson take. While I do like Watkins, I think Eagles need another WR opposite of Smith to give Hurts a legit shot to prove his worth. They cannot run it back with this same WR core and a late round WR.