Ray’s Final Mock

Ray75

Time for likely my last mock. I can make a dozen others but enough is enough.

So many scenarios to pick from and I truly believe prospects like Davis and Johnson are all trade up candidates and Karlaftis, Booth etc are definitely on their radar if they stay put.

I’d love Howie to draft a die hard Eagles fan in Garrett Wilson but a) I don’t think he’ll last till #15 and b) can’t see them trading up for a WR again in the first. However...he is one of my favorite prospects in this class.

A guy the Eagles have shown a ton of interest in is Wyatt who is believed to have some character concerns aside from being an older prospect at age 24.

If the 2021 draft gave us any indication of their intentions,  it’s that they really were interested in adding a blue chip talent at corner. I honestly believe that they would have passed on Smith if they had a shot at either Horn or Surtain last year but that’s just me.

Did I just spill the beans what I think Howie might do? Possibly...but I don’t have a clue.

Enjoy!

FA

Tyrann Mathieu, S, Kansas City Chiefs (2 year deal);

Draft:

Trade alert!

Eagles get #6

Panthers get #15, #51 and #83

* Panthers have done a ton of homework on QB’s and can still get a guy they really like at #15.

1) Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati;

Trade alert!

Eagles get #29, #62 and #94

Chiefs get #18

* Chiefs have two picks in the bottom of the first and probably want in on a WR like Olave or Williams after losing Hill to the Dolphins.

1) Travis Jones, DT, UConn;

2) Christian Watson, WR, North Dakota State;

3) Nick Cross, S, Maryland;

3) Sam Williams, DE, Ole Miss;

4) Brian Asamoah II, LB, Oklahoma;

5) Marcus’ Jones, CB, Houston;

5) Jesse Luketa, DE/OLB, Penn State;

5) Cole Turner, TE, Nevada;

7) Zachery Thomas, OT, San Diego State;

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

i love the sauce he can be special for years!! we have tons of ammo and if the trades come together can move all over the board this is gonna be fun!! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

LOOK. AT. THAT. 

I really like it bud I really like it. Trade up, trade down, add talent. Yes!

3 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

i love the sauce he can be special for years!! we have tons of ammo and if the trades come together can move all over the board this is gonna be fun!! 

3 hours ago, Iggles25 said:

Pour some Sauce on them there Eagles wings!

Love it!

Thx guys.

Goal in the first round should always be to get a blue chip prospect, especially if you’re picking high or have the draft capital to do so IMO.

• Like 2

I like it!!!

My only complaint would be that you talked up the interest in Devonte Wyatt, but then took Travis Jones at #29… but there’s a good chance Wyatt won’t last to 29.

I like the later TE pick also. Another guy I’ve been looking at is Jelani Woods. He’s physical/athletic freak, 6’7” 260lbs - 4.61 - 40, but new to the position. He started his college career as a qb and moved to TE after playing scout team trying to mimic Mark Andrews for his team. It’s a position we can afford to take a risk at with Goedert in place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MidMoFo said:

I like it!!!

My only complaint would be that you talked up the interest in Devonte Wyatt, but then took Travis Jones at #29… but there’s a good chance Wyatt won’t last to 29.

I like the later TE pick also. Another guy I’ve been looking at is Jelani Woods. He’s physical/athletic freak, 6’7” 260lbs - 4.61 - 40, but new to the position. He started his college career as a qb and moved to TE after playing scout team trying to mimic Mark Andrews for his team. It’s a position we can afford to take a risk at with Goedert in place.

Here’s where I’m at concerning Wyatt...

I believe they like him from a talent perspective but he’s older than you’d like plus it is rumored he has some character concerns. Even if they’d feel comfortable with the age and his character, the next question would be; what type of DT are they looking for? The big space eating NT so Gannon can run his odd fronts more effectively or the eventual Cox’s heir?

Personally I think they’re looking for something they don’t have right now on their roster...a pure  NT.

Bear with me; Gannon ran a lot of odd fronts last year and Cox wasn’t happy playing out of position, they signed a guy who specializes in rushing the passer from the SAM position to a lucrative 3 year deal., Hargrave played in a 3-4 in Pittsburgh, last year they took Patrick Johnson and declared him a LB instead of a DE, they have guys on the roster who can play in either scheme but for 3-4 concepts they lack a true NT.

I truly believe Gannon wants to run multiple fronts. To do that, you need the personel. They signed arguably the best 3-4 pass rusher in FA and why would you pay that man an average of $ 15 million annually if he plays just 40 or 50 % of the time?

You could make a argument that Gannon prefers a base 3-4 but called it a hybrid defense cause he didn’t have the personel to run a traditional 3-4 D. They already gave him one piece in Reddick. Will they give him another in a guy like Davis or Jones?

As for the TE...hard to project who’d be available late in the 5th. Could’ve been Woods (who I probably like even more), a big back, backup QB, IOL, swing tackle...anything actually. 

• Like 2

I would definitely be on board for this. I can actually see this happening also. Getting Sauce would be HUGE to pair with Slay. Only thing I will say is that I personally would go for Wyatt at DT over Jones but thats my personal preference. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

I would definitely be on board for this. I can actually see this happening also. Getting Sauce would be HUGE to pair with Slay. Only thing I will say is that I personally would go for Wyatt at DT over Jones but thats my personal preference. 

You know what?! Me too!

But I have no clue what type of DT Gannon prefers. Does he want the space eating NT for his odd fronts or the apparant Cox’s heir?

Plus...how serious are Wyatt’s character concerns?

On 4/9/2022 at 9:36 AM, Ray75 said:

Plus...how serious are Wyatt’s character concerns?

The understanding I have is DV concerns.

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2022 at 9:49 PM, Greenakers2 said:

The understanding I have is DV concerns.

Per Marc Weiszer and Ryne Dennis of OnlineAthens.com, Wyatt was charged with three misdemeanors including family violence, criminal trespass and damage to property. 

The charges stem from an incident (on a Friday night in february), when Wyatt is said to have kicked open a door in an attempt to exit a room at McWhorter Hall after he was involved in a verbal altercation with a woman. 

"I"m disappointed in the misconduct...outlined in the incident report," Georgia head coach Kirby Smart said, via Weiszer.  This is not indicative of the behavior we expect from our student-athletes who represent the University of Georgia and our football program. We will address it internally in the appropriate way.” 

Wyatt was booked into Clarke County Jail at 11:35 p.m. local time and had his bond set at $1,500. 

Here’s more;

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.si.com/college/georgia/.amp/news/details-on-devonte-wyatt-arrest

• Like 1

Like it. As you point out there are so many possible combos it's hard to predict what the Eagles will do. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2022 at 9:29 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

LOOK. AT. THAT. 

I really like it bud I really like it. Trade up, trade down, add talent. Yes!

Brother i law strikes again. LOL

As usual Ray does his homework. 

I'd probably prefer Cameron Thomas or Logan Hall to Sam Williams but at this point that's probably just tomato/tomahto. 

If we can't snag Mathieu I sure hope Cross can play. Otherwise we might have to invert 2 and 3 taking Brisker or Cine in the 2nd and Pierce, Tolbert, or Ross in the 3rd. 

In the 4th I'd really pre fer a weapon - Araiza. Although I like Asamoah I think this is doable with Reddick in the fold.  We've both been on the punter for a while and I'm sticking with it. 

I'd love it if you'd add a trade of Dillard to the Colts (who need a LT) for a 3rd or even a 4th. With a 4th you could either get Asamoah back in the fold and  a 3rd might even get us Andersen or Tindall

Even if this is your last mock please make sure you comment on the other posts coming in the next two weeks. It adds quite a bit to the board. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah love it Ray. My only criticism is the Jones pick. Really interesting what you say about the scheme fit, but I just don’t see him as value there. I love Watson at 62, but think that he will probably go top 40, his stock is rising. 

Finally my sense is that the Panthers will just sit there and take their favourite from Pickett or Willis. 

Love it though and would be delighted with this outcome.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah love it Ray. My only criticism is the Jones pick. Really interesting what you say about the scheme fit, but I just don’t see him as value there. I love Watson at 62, but think that he will probably go top 40, his stock is rising. 

Finally my sense is that the Panthers will just sit there and take their favourite from Pickett or Willis. 

Love it though and would be delighted with this outcome.

Thanks pal.

From what I’ve been hearing the Panthers desperately want to trade down. Remember; they don’t own a 2nd and 3rd round pick this year and taking any QB in the top 10 this year feels like a reach.

Hey Ray. I read this, and it sounded like you and I had talked about this in advance over the phone. I was preparing my "Howie goes Howie" draft, and I see that we are very close in overall thinking. Nice surprise. Only thing I changed in compensation was giving Carolina Dillard and a 5, instead of a 3. Carolina needs OL badly, and compensation is very similar.

I went Watson at 30, and Anderson(mlb) at 62, but the majority of later picks were the same. The picks at 3, 5, and 7 matched up exactly! I had an extra 3, and you had extra 5 with the Carolina trade, but pretty durn close, I'd say. Not sure if my draft picking is getting better, or yours is getting worse!! lol. And still hoping for the Honey Badger.

ER

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eaglerick55 said:

Hey Ray. I read this, and it sounded like you and I had talked about this in advance over the phone. I was preparing my "Howie goes Howie" draft, and I see that we are very close in overall thinking. Nice surprise. Only thing I changed in compensation was giving Carolina Dillard and a 5, instead of a 3. Carolina needs OL badly, and compensation is very similar.

I went Watson at 30, and Anderson(mlb) at 62, but the majority of later picks were the same. The picks at 3, 5, and 7 matched up exactly! I had an extra 3, and you had extra 5 with the Carolina trade, but pretty durn close, I'd say. Not sure if my draft picking is getting better, or yours is getting worse!! lol. And still hoping for the Honey Badger.

ER

Thx man! Appreciate it.

Last year I truly believe they wanted Surtain or Horn but both Carolina and Denver probably didn’t want to trade down and they eventually settled for Smith.

This year the class overall isn’t really good IMO. It’s deep at specific positions but lacks blue chip prospects. QB class is below average, deep at DE but no prospects at the top of the caliber of a Young, Garrett, the Bosa boys, some quality OT’s. Even the receivers are not as talented as the receivers we’ve gotten in the past two years.

It got me thinking. With a boatload of draft picks including two first rounders, your goal should be to get an elite player, not just a couple of good ones.

Like I said, this draft doesn’t offer a lot of elite prospects, only a couple. Gardner is not only one of them but also plays a position they a) have a desperate need at and b) tried to address last year but ultimately had to settle for a one year placeholder in Nelson.

Carolina wants to draft a QB but doesn’t feel comfortable taking one at #6. They also don’t have picks in the 2nd and 3rd round. No wonder they already had talks about trading down. They could still come up with a QB they really like plus recoup the picks they lost in the Darnold trade. Unless they trade for Mayfield, they’re stuck at #6 and could force the selection.

And yes! They need a tackle too! Dillard could definitely be included in a deal. Not only would Carolina recoup some picks, they still could take a QB at #15 and as a bonus land a LT on a rookie deal.