Surprises in preliminary 2022 Schedule

Wallyhorse

Some surprises in the 2022 schedule:

Among them was the announcement there will be a tripleheader on Christmas Day (which does fall on a Sunday) with the bulk of the schedule played on Saturday (Christmas Eve).  This to me is very surprising as *I* would have had the bulk of games the day after Christmas (Monday 12/26, which is actually the legal holiday for Christmas Day) UNLESS the station managers of FOX and CBS affiliates balked at that due to contractual commitments with regular daytime programming that would have likely been pre-empted for NFL games as the producers of those limit the number of times such shows can be pre-empted.  For FOX, this could be an issue in 2022 due to having to air weekday matches of the World Cup in November and December. Another reason I would have done that would have been to make that Monday a "flex week” for ESPN given the following Monday (January 2, 2023) there likely won’t be a Monday Night game as the Tournament of Roses and Sugar Bowl Committees likely would refuse to budge on THEIR traditional New Year’s Day bowl games being moved off the legal holiday for New Year’s Day (when New Year’s Day falls on a Sunday, those bowl games are traditionally played Monday):

So let's get this straight. The league has a longstanding precedent of playing their games on Saturday when Christmas falls on a Sunday. They follow this practice again this year. And yet you somehow think they made a mistake?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

So let's get this straight. The league has a longstanding precedent of playing their games on Saturday when Christmas falls on a Sunday. They follow this practice again this year. And yet you somehow think they made a mistake?

Main factor in this time being a mistake is by having most of the games on MONDAY afternoon (day after Christmas, which actually is the LEGAL HOLIDAY for Christmas because Christmas falls on a Sunday), it allows for a rare "Monday Flex" for ESPN where the NFL can more easily flex ESPN out of a bad Monday Night game using the same rules normally used for Sunday night football.  I would have had a single 3:00 PM ET game on Christmas Eve (if you HAD to have a game Christmas Eve Night, you could do it at 7:00 with two west coast teams), maybe the Christmas Day Tripleheader (or at least a doubleheader as was done this year with the prime time game being the normal Sunday night game on NBC) and then what normally would be the Sunday doubleheader on FOX/CBS being on Monday.   The reason I do that with a Monday flex for ESPN is the fact New Year's weekend is going to be a MESS for the NFL given for the first time, it is NOT the final week of the season, and the Tournament of Roses and Sugar Bowl Committees are almost certain to refuse to budge off their traditional dates (January 2 when New Year's Day is a Sunday) for the Rose and Sugar Bowls that are on ESPN and they would loudly object if one or both had to air opposite Monday Night Football on ABC.  In addition, you have the College Football Playoff semifinals on New Year's Eve, so UNLESS THOSE GAMES got moved to Tuesday 1/3 and/or Wednesday 1/4, the NFL would likely not have a game on ESPN at all that week (if the CFB Playoff Committee did agree to play the semis 1/3 and/or 1/4, then you could have perhaps a tripleheader on ESPN/ABC on New Year's Eve. 

That is why I do the games on Monday 12/26 UNLESS the NFL got the CFB Playoff Committee to agree to the semifinals being Tues-Wed 1/3-1/4 so the NFL can have a New Year's eve tripleheader on ESPN. 

The NFL has spread out games across Saturday and Sunday every year, once college football generally finishes with its minor bowl games.  Christmas doesn't even have anything to do with it.

Updating this:

There WILL be a Monday night game on January 2 as the Sugar Bowl Committee (likely "strongly suggested" by the NFL to do so IMO) agreed to for this year (and likely next as well) move the Sugar Bowl off its traditional New Year's Night spot on the schedule and will instead this year be played at 11:00 AM local time on New Year's Eve (December 31).  

I suspect this basically was the NFL and Disney telling the Sugar Bowl Committee: "Move the game or we'll see you in court" as I suspect otherwise the Sugar Bowl Committee would have refused to move the game off January 2, 2023 (and most likely January 1, 2024 as well) OR if not, likely threatening to air MNF on ABC that week directly opposite the game.

I'm sure many college football traditionalists who don't care about the NFL are upset about this.

On 4/26/2022 at 12:34 PM, Wallyhorse said:

Updating this:

There WILL be a Monday night game on January 2 as the Sugar Bowl Committee (likely "strongly suggested" by the NFL to do so IMO) agreed to for this year (and likely next as well) move the Sugar Bowl off its traditional New Year's Night spot on the schedule and will instead this year be played at 11:00 AM local time on New Year's Eve (December 31).  

I suspect this basically was the NFL and Disney telling the Sugar Bowl Committee: "Move the game or we'll see you in court" as I suspect otherwise the Sugar Bowl Committee would have refused to move the game off January 2, 2023 (and most likely January 1, 2024 as well) OR if not, likely threatening to air MNF on ABC that week directly opposite the game.

I'm sure many college football traditionalists who don't care about the NFL are upset about this.

No one cares about either.  99% of America works on Mondays and Tuesdays lol 

Did anyone else notice there are ZERO Wednesday night games??????

16 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

No one cares about either.  99% of America works on Mondays and Tuesdays lol 

We're talking about New Year's and the college bowl games.  College football fans are different in that regard. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not schedule related but

Denver Broncos wide receiver Jerry Jeudy was arrested today between 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. and is currently at the Arapahoe County Jail. No details are currently available on the charges Jeudy will be facing. (Per Ryan O’Halloran)

Chargers for the win!

If I wasn’t already an Eagles fan… but I found an AFC team to root for. 

On 4/28/2022 at 2:16 PM, paco said:

Did anyone else notice there are ZERO Wednesday night games??????

😮

• Haha 1