Simms' new QB rankings show Hurts still gets no respect

time2rock

Simms' new QB rankings show Hurts still gets no respect

Former NFL QB and NBC Sports analyst Chris Simms has had a tempestuous relationship with his evaluation of Eagles QB Jalen Hurts - and it doesn't seem to be over just yet.

Last offseason Simms boldly left Hurts off his list of the Top 40 quarterbacks in the league, a clear miscalculation which was quickly proved incorrect by Hurts' play.

Eventually Simms admitted his mistake, joining the Eagle Eye podcast to break down where he went wrong:

"I took an L on it. I should have had him on the top 40,' Simms said. 'I was wrong to (leave him off). I think the reason I didn't have him on the top 40 are some of the things you're talking about. Those are my concerns. Still my concerns going forward. Hey, I agree with the Eagles' standpoint that Jalen Hurts did enough this year, certainly, to come back and be the starter and be that guy. There's no doubt about that."

A notable sports personality admitting they were wrong isn't terribly common, so Simms' admission earlier this year of the L was appreciated.

And yet... it seems the former QB still doesn't have much respect for Hurts and his game, as evidenced by where Hurts falls in this year's edition of his rankings.

Simms is slowly unveiling his Top 40 in descending order over the course of multiple days, but on Thursday his Nos. 25-21 were released and Hurts is behind some players he should not be.

Simms put Hurts at No. 25, two spots behind the Bears' Justin Fields (!) and three spots behind the Jets' Zach Wilson (!!), which frankly feels crazy.

Before we go any further, here's what Simms says his rankings are based on:

"-This is not an all-time rank
-This is not about career potential
-This is not about how good a QB's team is

"This is which QB I’d take right now, this year, with a generic supporting cast."

Hmm. So it's not about potential, which I could see helping the Fields and Wilson cases because of their first-round pedigrees?

Then, uh... what's the argument here?

MORE: The real reason Eagles-Foles reunion didn't work out

A quick look at last year's numbers:

• Hurts: 61.3% comp, 7.2 Y/A, 16 TD, 9 INT | 5.6 rush Y/A, 10 rush TD

• Fields: 58.9% comp, 6.9 Y/A, 7 TD, 10 INT | 5.8 rush Y/A, 2 rush TD

• Wilson: 55.6% comp, 6.1 Y/A, 9 TD, 11 INT | 6.4 rush Y/A, 4 rush TD

I don't know about you, but it's pretty clear which QB I'm choosing based on those stats. Add in Hurts' extra year of experience in the league (even if it was just a few starts, he's had an entire extra 12 months as an NFL player) and I just don't see Simms' justification for putting those two ahead of Hurts.

Believe me: I think Hurts has a long way to go until he's considered a legit long-term starter, and I have plenty of reservations about his game.

But there is no way I'm taking either of those guys ahead of Hurts if I need to win a game in Week 1 of 2022.

Looks like Hurts will just need to keep showing up and proving that he's better than many believe.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-jalen-hurts-still-being-disrespected-2022-qb-rankings

Let's not forget Chris Simms has an agenda. As all national writers do. He wants to get clicks, likes and responses. He wants to be controversial and get the NFL fans talking about him. He succeeded 12 months ago with his QB rankings and he's doing so again now. 

I'm not a big fan of Simms but he's also not stupid. He knows Philly fans are the most passionate and the ones most likely to give him the air time. 

• Like 1

Does anyone really care what Chris Simms thinks?  Does anyone really respect his opinion?  What exactly has he done to make people think he knows what he is talking about?  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, downundermike said:

Respect is earned, not given

So you’re saying Jalen should be ranked above Wilson, Field, Lawrence and Jones because he has been better in the NFL? I agree.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

Does anyone really care what Chris Simms thinks?  Does anyone really respect his opinion?  What exactly has he done to make people think he knows what he is talking about?  

Nope - he’s got a job probably because of his dad. I might give him credit and say some of his "hot takes” are just for views/clicks but that’s it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Nope - he’s got a job probably because of his dad. I might give him credit and say some of his "hot takes” are just for views/clicks but that’s it.

He says things that get clicks. I mean look there's a thread about him here on this forum alone where we are discussing his take. Like I said I'm not a fan of Simms but he's good at what he does... Getting clicks.

• Like 1

What he is saying and I'm guessing some of you just ignored it is Jalen also played on the better team with the best OL. better TE and WR's at his disposal.

We switched to running the ball because f of what....anybody??? Out of the QB's that are listed you can't disagree that OUR line did 

provide Jalen with the better opportunity to succeed. Now before everyone wants to scream and holler that I'm a Hurts Hater, I was a huge Hurts fan while he was in college, 

and although I wasn't happy when we drafted him because I wanted Jeremy Chinn and saw him sitting there for us he is our QB and need him to succeed.... at this point though I 

do feel he is comparable to TeBow and believe that this is his last shot with us...I mean even just a little improvement which he should definitly have might not 

warrant keeping him and giving him a 35-40 million dollar contract...

7 hours ago, Breeze 44 said:

What he is saying and I'm guessing some of you just ignored it is Jalen also played on the better team with the best OL. better TE and WR's at his disposal.

We switched to running the ball because f of what....anybody??? Out of the QB's that are listed you can't disagree that OUR line did 

provide Jalen with the better opportunity to succeed. Now before everyone wants to scream and holler that I'm a Hurts Hater, I was a huge Hurts fan while he was in college, 

and although I wasn't happy when we drafted him because I wanted Jeremy Chinn and saw him sitting there for us he is our QB and need him to succeed.... at this point though I 

do feel he is comparable to TeBow and believe that this is his last shot with us...I mean even just a little improvement which he should definitly have might not 

warrant keeping him and giving him a 35-40 million dollar contract...

I agree, he needs to show considerably more than just "a little improvement" to be earn an extension to remain QB here.  He needs to show he can read defenses much better, go through his progressions, throw with anticipation, and just become an overall legitimate passing threat to balance out his abilities as a runner.  

It is probably safe to assume he is still here only because no better options were available (draft) or we weren't able to land one (Wilson, Watson, etc.) and because he is still on a cheap rookie deal.  They added a lot of talent to this team this offseason setting him up to succeed - there should be no more excuses, this is his make or break year.  If he doesn't show marked improvement as a QB I hope they don't give him a market contract - I'd prefer to add another QB on a cheap rookie deal and continue building the team while they begin the evaluation process with someone new.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I agree, he needs to show considerably more than just "a little improvement" to be earn an extension to remain QB here.  He needs to show he can read defenses much better, go through his progressions, throw with anticipation, and just become an overall legitimate passing threat to balance out his abilities as a runner.  

It is probably safe to assume he is only here still because no better options were available (draft) or we weren't able to land one (Wilson, Watson, etc.) and because he is still on a cheap rookie deal.  They added a lot of talent to this team this offseason setting him up to succeed - there should be no more excuses, this is his make or break year.  If he doesn't show marked improvement as a QB I hope they don't give him a market contract - I'd prefer to add another QB on a cheap rookie deal and continue building the team while they begin the evaluation process with someone new.  

Yes, agreed... who knows Howie may have stumbled on something by accident or through observing but having a QB on a rookie 5 year deal but making the rest of the team so sound 

ends up making a stronger more balanced team.... that can continue to win and be competitive if you even lose that QB to injury or switch out every 4 years... never really having a said

"franchise" QB per say.  Hmmm ..... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

So you’re saying Jalen should be ranked above Wilson, Field, Lawrence and Jones because he has been better in the NFL? I agree.

There’s no way anyone who actually watched football last year could rank those guys ahead of Hurts but Simms did. 

Jones was banged up most of the year so I’ll give him a pass but he wasn’t very good when he played. The other 3 were horrible. Hurts led his team to the playoffs as a 1st year starter. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Jones was banged up most of the year so I’ll give him a pass but he wasn’t very good when he played. The other 3 were horrible. Hurts led his team to the playoffs as a 1st year starter. 

Jones also hasn't been very good at any point during his NFL career. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Jones also hasn't been very good at any point during his NFL career. 

No he hasn’t.  Who TF cares how Simms ranks the QBs … absolutely meaningless.  All that matters is how Hurts plays come September.  I hope he makes him eat his words.  

• Like 1