Not Too Early To Think About Next Year

Rob331

Ok, the elephant in the room comes first. Will the Eagles have to use those 2 first round picks to get a quarterback. None of us knows the answer to that. 

What we can safely predict are some of the Eagles needs in 2023. How? Just look at the free agent list.

• QB Minshew
  • RB Sanders and Scott
  • WR Pascal and Ward
  • C Kelce
  • G Seumalo, Opeta, Clark
  • T Dillard
  • TE JJAW
  • DT Cox and Hargrave
  • DE Barnett and Graham
  • LB White, Edwards
  • CB Bradberry
  • S Epps and Harris

It's pretty much assumed Cox, Graham and Kelce won't be coming back. They've already drafted probable replacements for Cox and Kelce so it's likely they'll have a need for 1 or 2 defensive ends. 

Now let's start from the top -

• QB - Minshew will be traded during the season or he'll be a free agent signing elsewhere. QB will be on the 2023 agenda on the 3rd day if Hurts is going to stay. If Hurts isn't a keeper those 2 1st round picks are headed the QB way.
  • RB - if Sanders has a bad year the Eagles won't resign him and if he has a good year they probably won't outbid other suitors. Scott seems like a year to year guys, but one of these years someone else will come knocking on his door. So - RB is in the 2023 draft mix. Probably day 2. My early pick - Charbonnet in the 2nd.
  • WR - Ward probably won't make this year's team and given Pascal's history he might be extended during the season. In any event WR won't be a priority in 2023
  •  C - already drafted Kelce's replacement. A 3rd day backup or UDFA is in the cards
  • G - My guess is that Seumalo gets cut or traded to free up space to resign one of the other potential free agents. Opeta seems like a keeper while Awisoka, Andersson, Driscoll, Toth, Dunkle, and Sills are potential back ups. Bottom line - G is not a priority
  • T - We'll need a reliable backup to Johnson and Mailata. 2nd or 3rd round
  • TE - JJAW will likely be a cut this year. With the 3 who will make the squad this year (Goedert, Stoll, Calcaterra), Tyree Jackson on IR, and Togiai on this year's practice squad we won't have a pressing need here. 
  • DT - We've replaced Fletcher and my guess is that Hargrave will be a high priority for an extension. Losing both would be a calamity, but it could happen and if it does it would shake up the entire 2023 plan for the Birds. 
  • DE - I Don't expect wither Graham or Barnett back next year. This will be a priority need in 2023.
  • LB - if White plays well we won't be able to keep him. LB on the 3rd day
  • CB - Same old, same old. If we don't extend Bradberry we go into the 2023 off-season without a starting corner. 
  • S - Here we go again. Like CB we'll have questions throughout the secondary going into the 2023 business season.  

Where's that leave us.

Assume Hurts is the guy and they resign Hargrave and Epps.

• Round 1 - DE and CB
  • Round 2 - RB
  • Round 3 - OT
  • Round 4 - S
  • Round 5 - LB
  • Round 6 - QB
  • Round 7 - C 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

Ok, the elephant in the room comes first. Will the Eagles have to use those 2 first round picks to get a quarterback

No.  The QB of the future is already on the roster.  

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

ok - I'll bite. Who?

Just now, downundermike said:

Arrow Wall Signage 12" | COVID-19 Products | MoreWithPrint

huh

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Really dude ??? Look at my avatar.

Ok - I get it. Hope you are right and he's a complete stud. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2022 at 2:58 PM, Rob331 said:

Ok - I get it. Hope you are right and he's a complete stud. 

Wouldn't that be like fricken Christmas? If Strong is a stud?

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 9:53 AM, CouchKing said:

Wouldn't that be like fricken Christmas? If Strong is a stud?

Not looking good so far, but I'm willing to wait to see the pre-season game performace

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 11:18 AM, Rob331 said:

Not looking good so far, but I'm willing to wait to see the pre-season game performace

so far - so bad

On 6/3/2022 at 12:22 PM, downundermike said:

DUM - I know we banter back ad forth, but fun is fun and serious is seriuos. I know you were pulling for Strong - sorry he was cut. 

2 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

DUM - I know we banter back ad forth, but fun is fun and serious is seriuos. I know you were pulling for Strong - sorry he was cut. 

Dude, you haven't figured it out yet ??

18 hours ago, downundermike said:

Dude, you haven't figured it out yet ??

Nope

On 8/29/2022 at 3:52 PM, Rob331 said:

I am all busted up about Carson Strong not making the Practice Squad.

I don't know what he did to piss them off, but I don't think they like him even a little.

I'm still looking for our QB of the future.

SportsFan is seeking out tall, athletic, intelligent, strong-armed field general for long lasting dynasty and championships.

24 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

I am all busted up about Carson Strong not making the Practice Squad.

I don't know what he did to piss them off, but I don't think they like him even a little.

I'm still looking for our QB of the future.

SportsFan is seeking out tall, athletic, intelligent, strong-armed field general for long lasting dynasty and championships.

No doubt there will be a QB on the 3rd day of the draft next April. Phil Jerkovic, Grayson McCall, Tanner McKee, and Tyler Shough all fit sportsfan's parameters