RUMOR: VETERAN CB NEARLY SIGNED WITH EAGLES BEFORE DECIDING TO RETIRE

time2rock

RUMOR: VETERAN CB NEARLY SIGNED WITH EAGLES BEFORE DECIDING TO RETIRE

June 21, 2022

Eagles

The Eagles shored up the secondary by signing ex-Giants CB James Bradberry last month, but he wasn’t the first option.

Veteran cornerback Trae Waynes recently revealed that he nearly joined the Eagles this offseason before ultimately deciding to walk away from football.

Here’s what Waynes had to say during an appearance on the Geary & Stein Sports Show:

"I actually almost went to Philly, to go back with JG [Jonathan Gannon] and Ant [Anthony Harris] but at that point I was like, ‘I’m ready to be done.’ Could I easily keep playing several more years? Yes. But I got a family, I want to be around with my kids more.

Waynes is a former first-round pick and developed into a productive corner opposite Xavier Rhodes during Gannon’s tenure in Minnesota. In his 2016 & 2017 seasons combined, Waynes recorded 155 tackles, 22 passes defended, and 5 interceptions.

After signing a three-year, $42M contract with Cincinnati, Waynes missed the entire 2020 season due to injuries and played in just five games last year. He was released by the team in March and appears to be content with his unofficial retirement.

”For me, I played. I lived the dream. I did it. I made enough money to where I can take care of my family. Being able to walk away on my own terms is always something I wanted to do."

https://thelibertyline.com/2022/06/21/rumor-trae-waynes-eagles/

Bradberry wasn't the "first option" because he wasn't available until May.  Waynes was available in March.  Glad this ended up the way it did.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

Bradberry wasn't the "first option" because he wasn't available until May.  Waynes was available in March.  Glad this ended up the way it did.

Agreed.  If given the choice I’d prefer Bradberry to Waynes 24/7.  That’s not a knock on Waynes …. I did like him coming out of Michigan St back in 2015.  I just like Bradberry much more.  

• Like 2

On 6/23/2022 at 12:18 PM, time2rock said:

Agreed.  If given the choice I’d prefer Bradberry to Waynes 24/7.  That’s not a knock on Waynes …. I did like him coming out of Michigan St back in 2015.  I just like Bradberry much more.  

Waynes was a really good nfl CB, possibly top 10-15 at one point. But he's at the back end of his career and I don't think he's the same player (and now obviously he's retired so he must have felt that way too).

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Waynes was a really good nfl CB, possibly top 10-15 at one point. But he's at the back end of his career and I don't think he's the same player (and now obviously he's retired so he must have felt that way too).

Not a huge difference in age … Bradberry at 28  is only a year younger (Waynes is 29).  If I had to guess, Waynes just didn’t get a decent offer so he "retired”.  

So he needed a team to make an offer for it to be "on his own terms" haha

We are surely in the "things that almost happened but didn't" season right now.

• Like 1