Baker Mayfield Traded to Panthers

Procus

Browns get a 5th, Panthers pick up half his salary.  A win win for all involved.  Mayfield gets out of Cleveland.  The Browns move on from the drama and get a team to eat half his salary, and the Panthers get an upgrade at QB.

https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-trading-baker-mayfield-to-panthers-for-2024-conditional-fifth-round-draft

Hmmmm, so the Panthers have Darnold, Baker, and the rookie they drafted from Ole Miss. Crowded QB room.

1 hour ago, LacesOut said:

Hmmmm, so the Panthers have Darnold, Baker, and the rookie they drafted from Ole Miss. Crowded QB room.

That's a Hall of Fame group.  Hall of Fame as in it's a room full of busts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, LacesOut said:

Which means that Darnold's out.

2 hours ago, Procus said:

I expect an open competition but Darnold will open TC as the starter.  They have invested in him more than the others.

Mayfield and Darnold both playing on a 5th year option, I'll never understand why Carolina activated Darnold's option rather than just negotiating a cheap extension with performance escalators or renegotiation clause if he exceeded specific targets, it wasn't like Darnold had tons of options.

Hopefully this helps the Panthers beat the Saints. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mr_irie1 said:

Hopefully this helps the Panthers beat the Saints. 

If there ever was a time for karma to kick the Saints in the butt and they go 0-17. it's this year. May they go winless.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

If there ever was a time for karma to kick the Saints in the butt and they go 0-17. it's this year. May they go winless.

Sure would make the drafting a QB situation way easier.  Even if Hurts somewhat improved and the Eagles got a playoff spot again, you couldn't pass on the top QB in the draft who has a higher ceiling than Hurts.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Sure would make the drafting a QB situation way easier.  Even if Hurts somewhat improved and the Eagles got a playoff spot again, you couldn't pass on the top QB in the draft who has a higher ceiling than Hurts.

Jesus Wolverine, does he do this in every single thread no matter what the subject?

wolverine-every-time.gif

• Haha 2

Wasn't he 'offended' that Hue Jackson took a job with another team after being fired by the Browns? Shouldn't Mayfield now retire, rather than play for another team, rather than 'offend' Football by playing in another uniform?

On 7/7/2022 at 5:10 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Mayfield and Darnold both playing on a 5th year option, I'll never understand why Carolina activated Darnold's option rather than just negotiating a cheap extension with performance escalators or renegotiation clause if he exceeded specific targets, it wasn't like Darnold had tons of options.

At the time, Carolina didn't have another QB

On 7/7/2022 at 10:11 AM, downundermike said:

I don't know that there's a can't miss prospect in the draft for 2023.

7 hours ago, Procus said:

I don't know that there's a can't miss prospect in the draft for 2023.

I'm pretty sure that whoever is chosen immediately after the Eagles first round pick will be viewed by the majority of the Eagles fan base as being a sure thing.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 8:57 AM, Procus said:

He continues the trend of bust QB's coming out of USC

I think this is a pretty good move for both sides. Fairly cheap trade value and Baker lands with a pretty good team. 

On 7/14/2022 at 12:33 AM, Godfather said:

I like the trade

I think the trade benefits us too as there's now a chance that the Panthers aren't after a QB next year. 

On 7/16/2022 at 1:47 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the trade benefits us too as there's now a chance that the Panthers aren't after a QB next year. 

I don't believe Mayfield will be on the team next year. They'll look at qb in the draft

11 hours ago, Godfather said:

I don't believe Mayfield will be on the team next year. They'll look at qb in the draft

Darnold's one of those guys you can't friggin believe he's still in the league 12 yrs from now.  He's got the locker room makeup to be a career backup.  Mayfield idk, feels like he could be out of the league sooner than later.

16 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Darnold's one of those guys you can't friggin believe he's still in the league 12 yrs from now.  He's got the locker room makeup to be a career backup.  Mayfield idk, feels like he could be out of the league sooner than later.

Unless he has a good year and has the Panthers in the WC hunt... could be his last shot at a starting job

1 hour ago, Godfather said:

Unless he has a good year and has the Panthers in the WC hunt... could be his last shot at a starting job

fat chance.  baker is not going to elevate that very mediocre roster.

4 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Darnold's one of those guys you can't friggin believe he's still in the league 12 yrs from now.  

Matt Barkley for example. Who would have thought he'd still be around.

On 7/18/2022 at 6:34 PM, dawkins4prez said:

fat chance.  baker is not going to elevate that very mediocre roster.

Doubt it as well