Eagles have two undrafted free agents rising up the depth chart

time2rock

Eagles have two undrafted free agents rising up the depth chart 

49856253d7114cde883732afa367ed46-1.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Glenn Erby 

August 16, 2022 11:23 am ET

Injuries are a typical result of intense training camp sessions, and that’s a prime opportunity for under-the-radar players to move up the depth chart.

As the Eagles prepare to travel to Cleveland for joint practices with the Browns, 12 players will likely have an injury designation after Marcus Epps, and James Bradberry exited practice early.

e1.jpg.6754954de9c56c5d505992d9b1730e53.jpg

With Epps and Bradberry out, undrafted rookies Josh Jobe and Reed Blankenship received first teams reps during Tuesday’s final practice before the joint sessions with Cleveland starting Thursday.

It’s only practice, and this is still the preseason, but Jobe and Blankenship are names to watch and players that could cause roster chaos as Philadelphia trims down to 53 players before the season opener.

Here’s a look at what both players offer.

Josh Jobe, CB

e4.jpg.d1edaae5b61a2b9bc28b456b971569cf.jpg

(AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

A former Alabama star who slipped in the draft after injuries cost him a few games during the 2021 regular season, Jobe is a solid cornerback who excels in close quarters.

e2.jpg.f404610bc5bd15936ecb41323bb5138c.jpg

A long and lanky cornerback, Jobe is a player to watch in Gannon’s zone-based defensive scheme.

His path to a roster spot is a bit more complicated, with Darius Slay, James Bradberry, Avonte Maddox, and Zech McPhearson penciled in as the top four cornerbacks.

Reed Blankenship, S

e5.jpg.2fb62cc4cca3e2d28b424b50bf953247.jpg

(AP Photo/Rich Schultz)

Another gritty performer who is always around the football, Blankenship was a two-time All-State performer from Alabama who ended up at Middle Tennessee State.

e3.jpg.1fb384f1e07e628e83910a0c506aca86.jpg

A five-year starter in college, Blankenship is a jack of all trades and turning into a must-have for this scheme and defensive coordinator.

Blankenship’s route to a roster spot is a bit easier, with Jaquiski Tartt, K’Von Wallace, and Anthony Harris all having inconsistent training camps.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/philadelphia-eagles-news-josh-jobe-reed-blankenship-depth-chart-undrafted-free-agents/

I think unfortunately despite showing some promise both players will miss out. I mean who really knows but that's my sneaky suspicion. 

Jobe seems like a good young CB but the Eagles have a lot of bodies at CB and a lot of young options. I just don't see that there is room for him?

And Blankenship... I mean seems like he's having a positive impression but unless the team to really inexperienced at S I'm again now sure he makes it. I mean you'd think one of Harris or Tartt are making it? And so unless he makes it over Wallace I just don't see room. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think unfortunately despite showing some promise both players will miss out. I mean who really knows but that's my sneaky suspicion. 

Jobe seems like a good young CB but the Eagles have a lot of bodies at CB and a lot of young options. I just don't see that there is room for him?

And Blankenship... I mean seems like he's having a positive impression but unless the team to really inexperienced at S I'm again now sure he makes it. I mean you'd think one of Harris or Tartt are making it? And so unless he makes it over Wallace I just don't see room. 

All reports indicate that Tartt has been extremely underwhelming. I think he’s far from a lock. 

I also thing Wallace is firmly on the bubble at this point. I could absolutely see him losing his spot to Blankenship. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, nipples said:

All reports indicate that Tartt has been extremely underwhelming. I think he’s far from a lock. 

I also thing Wallace is firmly on the bubble at this point. I could absolutely see him losing his spot to Blankenship. 

Oh I'd agree with you I haven't heard a lot about Tartt since they signed him. So I'd say Harris. My point was i think they'll go one or the other due to the experience factor. 

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh I'd agree with you I haven't heard a lot about Tartt since they signed him. So I'd say Harris. My point was i think they'll go one or the other due to the experience factor. 

I think they keep 5 S’s:

Epps, Harris, Wallace, Blankenship, Amadi 

Safety has been the one position that most of the beats have been quiet on as far as training camp observations.  Have barely heard a peep about Harris and Epps, the supposed starters.  I've heard about Blankenship the most, then a little bit here and there about Wallace and Chachare.  

Safety should be WIDE open so I hope this coaching staff chooses the best players rather than stature.