Matt Araiza sued for rape

Procus

Judging from the comments to the PFT piece, most fans have already convicted the guy and are ready to lock him up.  How fast we forget the Duke Lacrosse matter.  Better to let all the facts play out before deciding whether this guy is a rapist or not.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/25/matt-araiza-is-sued-for-gang-rape/

Matt Araiza is sued for gang rape

Posted by Mike Florio on August 25, 2022, 6:54 PM EDT

Bills rookie punter Matt Araiza, who has quickly risen to fame with a strong leg and a catchy nickname, faces a very serious off-field issue before his first NFL game.

According to the Los Angeles Times, Araiza is among the defendants in a civil lawsuit alleging gang rape. The other defendants are Zavier Leonard and Nowlin "Pa’a” Ewaliko. All three men were San Diego State football players at the time of the alleged incident.

The incident allegedly occurred last year, at an off-campus party. The alleged victim was 17 years old.

Araiza’s lawyer said the accusation is false, and he accused the plaintiff of making a "money grab.” (As we recently learned in the Deshaun Watson case, it’s always a money grab, until it isn’t.)

"It’s a shakedown because he’s now with the Buffalo Bills,” Kerry Armstrong told the Times. "There is no doubt in my mind that Matt Araiza ever raped that girl.”

There is an ongoing criminal investigation of the incident. No arrests have been made, and San Diego police have not publicly identified any suspects.

The Times previously reported that the university failed to alert the campus community about the alleged incident, and that the school waited more than seven months to launch an investigation.

"We were recently made aware of a civil complaint involving Matt from October 2021,” the Bills said in a statement to the Times on Thursday. "Due to the serious nature of the complaint, we conducted a thorough examination of this matter. As this is an ongoing civil case, we will have no other comment at this point.”

The NFL’s Personal Conduct Policy does not apply to incidents occurring before a player enters the NFL, either via the draft or by signing as an undrafted free agent. However, such allegations can become relevant to the punishment imposed for any off-field misconduct occurring after the player joins an NFL team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain F said:

Career over before it even started

she should have waited until he made money to sue

• Like 1

Bills released him. Sounds like he admitted giving a high school girl the clap on a recorded phone call.  

The alleged victim reported it the next day. If a rape kit was done and there is DNA from anyone of them at minimum they’re looking at statutory rape charges.

Here's the problem I have with the civil case from what I can gather - and I'm not saying that Araiza is innocent by any stretch.  Why was this suit only filed after Araiza started training camp in a Bills uniform?

1 hour ago, Procus said:

Here's the problem I have with the civil case from what I can gather - and I'm not saying that Araiza is innocent by any stretch.  Why was this suit only filed after Araiza started training camp in a Bills uniform?

If I were in her position and he is truly guilty of the crime without a shadow of a doubt I would do the same thing if I were her... I would rather sue him when he is much wealthier and get more than I would when he is making less money and on top of that he is much more known to the public now so because he is more recognizable now its more embarrassing to him... 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 1:37 AM, Procus said:

He literally admitted to having sex with an underage girl. Stop being so desperate to defend vile people. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This whole thing stinks (in fact the whole subject of police investigation of sex crimes stinks), the underage victim filed a police report the very next day, she has had piercings ripped out and other injuries and the police believe her enough to have her make calls, they have Araiza on tape admitting they ''hooked up' and telling the victim she needs to get tested for Chlamydia and a party full of potential witnesses, but they didn't make an arrest or submit a case to the DA for almost a year??  That's absurd.

• Like 1

Lawyer calls it a money grab. 😂 you know your client isn’t a highly paid qb right?  He’s a kicker.  Amazon delivery drivers make more than he does.