Eagles find their 3rd quarterback via waiver claim from Saints

time2rock

Eagles find their 3rd quarterback via waiver claim from Saints

The Eagles have found their third quarterback, claiming Notre Dame product Ian Book, who was released at final cuts by the Saints.

After Tuesday’s cut deadline, Eagles general Manager Howie Roseman said the Eagles would "for sure” have a third quarterback behind Jalen Hurts and Gardner Minshew on the active roster or practice squad.

By claiming Book, they’ll have three on their 53-man roster.

During the summer, the Eagles had Reid Sinnett working as their third-string quarterback but Sinnett really struggled in the preseason, playing his way out of a roster spot. They also had UDFA Carson Strong from Nevada, but Strong barely got any practice reps or snaps in games.

The Eagles, meanwhile, had two of their cuts get claimed by other teams: OL Jack Anderson was claimed by the Giants and Josh Blackwell by the Bears.

In order to make room for Book, the Eagles must make a corresponding move. They cannot just put a player on IR.

Book, 24, was drafted by the Saints in the fourth round in 2021 (pick 133 overall). He ended up playing in one game as a rookie. Book (6-0, 206) started for the Saints in Week 15 against the Dolphins. In that game, he completed 12 of 20 passes for 135 yards and 2 interceptions in a 20-3 loss.

During his college career at Notre Dame, Book completed 63.8% of his passes for nearly 9,000 yards with 72 touchdowns and 20 interceptions. He was a three-year starter for the fighting Irish.

Here’s what NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein wrote about Book during the 2021 pre-draft process:

"Notre Dame's winningest quarterback brings plenty of leadership and overall intangibles with him. He has big game experience in his background, too. However, his size and arm strength fall below NFL standards and there isn't anything in his game that he can really hang his hat on that counters those issues. He makes receivers work too hard for the catch and was dreadful throwing outside the numbers in 2020. He's effective in RPO calls. He also does a nice job of feeling pocket pressure and sliding around it or getting outside the pocket to make plays. He's a capable runner and a plus athlete but doesn't have the necessary play traits to make a splash in the NFL.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-claim-qb-ian-book-saints-after-final-cuts

Davion Taylor waived to make room for Book.

image.png.7d2c1df1e6be84c63465dcd56c1b3aad.png

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2022/8/31/23330813/eagles-news-tracker-practice-squad-signings-waiver-claims-nfl-roster-updates-philadelphia-rules-bgn

NOTE:  that now leaves us with an open roster spot after dealing Reagor to the Vikings.  Probably a safe assumption they move Covey up from the practice squad to serve as PR and WR5.  

• Like 1

That's a surprise to me. I know that Taylor didn't have a great preseason and they have some pretty good linebackers now but I figured they might cut Blankenship. Maybe Blankenship > Taylor on Special Teams? 

6 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

That's a surprise to me. I know that Taylor didn't have a great preseason and they have some pretty good linebackers now but I figured they might cut Blankenship. Maybe Blankenship > Taylor on Special Teams? 

There are still 2 spots open on the practice squad ... guessing they may try to get him through waivers and add him there.  

14 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'll be honest... I don't get it. I really don't get this move in any way. 

His play style is a good fit for the scheme built around Hurts' strengths. So If Hurts is out and Minshew goes down, Book should be able to step in and fit in with what we do. His arm is about like Minshew's, but he adds more mobility. 

He was signed to be a QB3 that fits in our scheme, not to be our future franchise QB. 

18 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'll be honest... I don't get it. I really don't get this move in any way. 

That's how I feel. He wasn't good and doesn't seem to have much upside. Can't see him magically becoming the #2 in a year