Jeff McLane Discusses The Latest Moves From Howie Roseman

time2rock

Jeff McLane Discusses The Latest Moves From Howie Roseman

Dylan MacKinnon August 30th
m1.jpg.d55a1b7bb19a605ab8f0da2a9a04aea1.jpg

After an offseason full of big moves to address the defensive side of the ball, Howie Roseman showed today he was not finished. He made a trade to acquire Chauncey Garner Johnson from the Saints. And earlier today, Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer joined Andrew Salciunas, who was filling in for Anthony Gargano, to discuss this move, and the offseason Howie Roseman and the Eagles have had overall. here is what he had to say to us.

On the Chauncey Gardner Johnson Move

"Yea I think it’s no secret that Safety was the position they were thinnest at… Yea I think it’s no secret that Safety was the position they were thinnest at… "There are some questions. He played mostly in the slot, not safety, with the Saints. But they’re projecting. He did play a majority of safety in college however. And there are some similarities between what the Eagles do at Safety and at Slot Cortner. They weren’t satisfied with the safety options in-house”

On Jonathan Gannon Having The Pressure on Him Now

"Howie has certainly upgraded the defensive side of the ball. This year he’s been bold. He’s made moves to address some of those needs. You have 4 or 5 positions you addressed, and add safety to that now. So the question has to be asked of Jonathan Gannon. You have the players you need to run your scheme, go out and do it.”

On if There May be Other Moves to Come

"Andre Dillard, to me, is more likely to be moved than Jalen Reagor. Because there’s more of a need at tackle around the league and because he’s had a much better camp than Reagor. It could be tough to move either of these two though.”

https://975thefanatic.com/2022/08/30/jeff-mclane-discusses-the-latest-moves-from-howie-roseman/

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

"Andre Dillard, to me, is more likely to be moved than Jalen Reagor. Because there’s more of a need at tackle around the league and because he’s had a much better camp than Reagor. It could be tough to move either of these two though.”

right up to the moment he broke his arm. 

Now we have to wait until mid-season when an AFC contender has a left tackle injury. 

2 hours ago, weko said:

I am really concerned with Gannon. We’ve had a feeble pass rush and soft D under him. 

What kills me is that Gannon was getting HC interviews last season.  The season before that, the Eagles signed him to a very hefty deal.  I don't see where he merits either - but then again, the NFL is moving into the 30 something direction for new head coach and GM hires.

17 hours ago, time2rock said:

On Jonathan Gannon Having The Pressure on Him Now

I was praying he was gonna get a HC job offer from Houston. First right thing they did in a long time not hiring him. I don't trust him, and his defensive game is like he dont trust the CBs. Swear if I see our CBs playing 7yd off on 3rd and 3 or lower I'm gonna flip the F out!

21 hours ago, weko said:

I am really concerned with Gannon. We’ve had a feeble pass rush and soft D under him. 

weko - that's just not like you. You usually look at things a little more deeply.

Did you mis the off-season? 

• Jordan Davis for Hassan Ridgeway
  • Hassan Reddick for Ryan Kerrigan/Derek Barnett
  • Kyzir White for Alex Singleton
  • James Bradberry for Steve Nelson
  • CGJ for Anthony Harris
  • Nakobe Dean for Genard Avery

It wasn't the coach it was the PLAYERS. With those 6 guys replaced with big upgrades there are more players and when there's more players, there are more plays made.

22 hours ago, Rob331 said:

weko - that's just not like you. You usually look at things a little more deeply.

Did you mis the off-season? 

• Jordan Davis for Hassan Ridgeway
  • Hassan Reddick for Ryan Kerrigan/Derek Barnett
  • Kyzir White for Alex Singleton
  • James Bradberry for Steve Nelson
  • CGJ for Anthony Harris
  • Nakobe Dean for Genard Avery

It wasn't the coach it was the PLAYERS. With those 6 guys replaced with big upgrades there are more players and when there's more players, there are more plays made.

Sometime the answer is "AND" and not "Either/Or." We don't know if we had a bad coordinator AND a lack of talent or a good coordinator AND no talent. 

We are about to find out. 

• Like 1