Too many free agents to do a mock

Rob331

The Eagles have more free agents and others we don't expect back than any year in recent memory.  Tht includes 10 starters, 5 key backups and one special teamer.

• QB - Minshwe
  • RB - Sanders
  • WR - Pascal
  • G - Seumalo, Opeta
  • C - Kelce
  • T - Dillard
  • DT - Hargrave and Cox
  • DE - Graham and Barnett
  • LB White and Edeards
  • CB Bradberry
  • S - Epps, CGJ
  • LS - Lovato

This level of uncertainty makes a mock impossible. But we do know some things:

• Sounds like howie committed to re-signing CGJ
  • If Sanders has a good year we won't be able to afford him if he has a bed year we won't want him.
  • Lovato is almost sure to be back
  • Dillard is almost sure to be gone
  • Unlikely we re-sign 2 guards so one in the draft is likely. 
  • With the WR depth on our practice squad and maybe bringing Pascal back we won't need a wide receiver in the draft. 
  • At least one of the DT's won't be back

Based on all the above here are some thoughts for next April's draft -

• At present we have two 1's, a 2, a 3, a 4, and 2 7's
  • One of the first round picks will be DT Bryan Bresee from Clemson. He's the #2 rated DT and Jalen Carter will go earlier.  
  • Our combo of first round picks won't be enough to move up for one of the top QB's 
  • We'll take a RB in the 2nd round - Gibbs (Alabama), McIntosh (Georgia), and my favorite Charbonnet (UCLA) are likely options
  • A G/C make sense in the 3rd
  • We don't have enough picks to fill all of the holes. 

15 hours ago, Rob331 said:

.....Our combo of first round picks won't be enough to move up for one of the top QB's 

So what's the plan at QB going forward? It surely cannot be to extend Hurts.

Does Howie package future R1 picks to get the new guy, like he did with Wentz? 

27 minutes ago, Couch Potato said:

Levis or Leary 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Levis or Leary 

I like Levis as much as anyone, but will he still be there with two mid/late R1 picks?

You never really know with young QBs, but I'm not sure that Leary projects to be anything more than a decent NFL back-up. Now I'd be fine with drafting him in say, R3 to perform that role for the next few years, but would he ultimately be any better than Hurts, albeit that he's a totally different type of QB?

5 hours ago, Couch Potato said:

My guess is that Hurts plays well this year and then plays out his contract here. If he plays well again in 2023 they'll either re-sign him or tag him. Two reasons for this. First, with so many free agents I don't think packaging those first round picks makes sense - we'll have too many holes to fill. Second, having a QB play on his rookie deal gives Howie room to sign more of the guys he wants to keep. 

5 hours ago, Couch Potato said:

I like Levis as much as anyone, but will he still be there with two mid/late R1 picks?

You never really know with young QBs, but I'm not sure that Leary projects to be anything more than a decent NFL back-up. Now I'd be fine with drafting him in say, R3 to perform that role for the next few years, but would he ultimately be any better than Hurts, albeit that he's a totally different type of QB?

I like Leary. He could very well enter the first rd. He's had a good start to the season