Justin Jefferson: I was shocked when Philly didn’t draft me, but I’m happier in Minnesota

time2rock

Justin Jefferson: I was shocked when Philly didn’t draft me, but I’m happier in Minnesota

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 17, 2022, 4:38 AM EDT

In the 2020 NFL draft, the Eagles selected wide receiver Jalen Reagor with the 21st overall pick and the Vikings selected wide receiver Justin Jefferson 22nd. That proved to be a big mistake by the Eagles, as Jefferson is the much better player. And Jefferson is grateful the Eagles made that mistake.

Now Jefferson and the Vikings (who now have Reagor as well, acquired in a trade last month) are preparing to play the Eagles on Monday night. And Jefferson is recalling that draft night when the Eagles passed on him and the Vikings picked him.

"Every mock draft had me going to Philly, so when Philly was on the board, getting the phone call, and it being Minnesota, it was definitely a shock. But I’m definitely happy — way happier — to be here than there,” Jefferson said.

Jefferson is looking forward to facing the team that he thought would draft him.

"I’m excited for it. I can’t wait,” Jefferson said.

Eagles fans may be watching in frustration, wondering about how different things would be if the Eagles had made the right choice on draft night two years ago

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/17/justin-jefferson-i-was-shocked-when-philly-didnt-draft-me-but-im-happier-in-minnesota/

Have JJ on my fantasy team.  He went nuclear in week one on Jaire Alexander who is the highest paid cornerback in the league and played largely man coverage.  Let's see what the Eagles come up with instead, hopefully a bracket coverage so the corner at least has some help.  And we need to get some pressure up front which has been lacking.  Right now JJ is looking like a superstar in the making which should have been a no-brainer pick since he played with JB and JC, won a national championship and beat Alabama too.

Who gives a sh-- anymore?  I don't care if he's happy in minnesota, I don't care that Howie messed up the pick.

Roseman fixed his mistake and then some over the last 2 years.  AJ Brown & Devonte Smith are 2 dynamic and dangerous WRs and are complimented with Watkins and Pascal.

So Jefferson can be happy in minnesota while piling up stats and sitting home every january.  He'll make his money and wonder what it would be like to be in the playoffs.

So it was nice that Slay and the eagles shut him down and shut him up on monday.

• Like 4

Hey guess what JJ... Slay handled you. Slay was limping at one point and he was so confident he stayed out there. And he got a pick after limping. He owned you. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hey guess what JJ... Slay handled you. Slay was limping at one point and he was so confident he stayed out there. And he got a pick after limping. He owned you. 

Still wish we drafted him instead of Reagor lol.  But like birdman said, who F cares anymore ... water under the bridge.  Howie fixed the problem (Smith, Brown) ...we move on now.  

Now my biggest hope is that Hurts can play like he did last night more consistently crossing QB off the "needs list" so that we can use those two 1s next year to add a top DE and either a CB or possibly deal that other 1 to a team wanting a QB for a nice haul of picks in return (e.g. a 1 later in 2023 and a 1 in 2024, etc).  

• Like 4

20 hours ago, time2rock said:

Now my biggest hope is that Hurts can play like he did last night more consistently crossing QB off the "needs list" so that we can use those two 1s next year to add a top DE and either a CB or possibly deal that other 1 to a team wanting a QB for a nice haul of picks in return (e.g. a 1 later in 2023 and a 1 in 2024, etc).  

And that would be huge for the eagles.......Howie will have his hands full with the amount of free agents the eagles have next year, but having a load of draft picks make that task a bit easier, assuming they make them count.  If they don't need a QB, and the saints pick is top 10, he'll be wheeling and dealing again to pick up more picks in future years.

It'll be interesting to see how that all plays out......who he resigns and who he lets walk.  And most if it hinges on Hurts.....because if he continues to develop like he's doing, that's a huge contract on the horizon.

• Like 1

Something about that city and that team - they have a real attitude problem, and it invariably blows up in their faces.  Jefferson and Reagor should have kept their mouths shut.

21 hours ago, time2rock said:

Still wish we drafted him instead of Reagor lol.  But like birdman said, who F cares anymore ... water under the bridge.  Howie fixed the problem (Smith, Brown) ...we move on now.  

At this stage, I'd rather have Brown.  Seems to me when the heat is on, he will deliver.  Guy seems like a good fit for Philly.

• Like 1