Eagles’ coach Jonathan Gannon says best defense yet to come

Procus

https://www.delcotimes.com/2022/10/11/eagles-coach-jonathan-gannon-says-best-defense-yet-to-come/

Eagles’ coach Jonathan Gannon says best defense yet to come

By Jack McCaffery | jmccaffery@delcotimes.com | The Delaware County Daily Times

PUBLISHED: October 11, 2022 at 8:36 p.m. | UPDATED: October 11, 2022 at 9:16 p.m.

PHILADELPHIA — The Eagles are the only unbeaten team in the NFL, with the second best defense in the NFC, with a lead in their division and a quick down payment on a likely playoff spot.

Jonathan Gannon is kind of impressed.

"I really think,” the defensive coordinator was saying Tuesday at the NovaCare Complex, "our best ball is ahead of us.”

That will be up to the Eagles to prove beginning Sunday night in the Linc against the visiting Dallas Cowboys. But while Gannon’s analysis could sound cavalier under the circumstances, it was not without a thread of logic. His defense was in the playoffs last season, but it underwent substantial offseason upgrades to multiple positions, mixing first-year Eagles Kyzir White, James Bradberry, C.J. Gardner-Johnson and Haason Reddick into the starting lineup.

Since all were highly valued, the 36-percent change to the first string was not viewed as problematic. It would, however, require work to make the transition seamless.

"You can plug and play,” Gannon said. "But there is an adjustment period of getting this guy to be where he should be, that guy to make that check, the communication.

"I really like where we’re at, but I do think I’m excited about our opportunity to keep ascending with the guys that are playing.”

• • •

With Dak Prescott "day to day” with a thumb injury, the Eagles will be made to be prepared for two Dallas quarterbacks Sunday. That includes likely starter Cooper Rush, who is 4-0 this season as a starter.

"It’s a very similar offense,” Gannon said. "He is doing a good job. They really didn’t break stride when he came into the game. They are doing a good job with him.”

Rush’s secret?

"Efficiency,” Gannon said. "He is playing very efficient right now. He knows where to go with the ball. He is accurate. He is running the offense. They put a lot on the quarterback’s plate to get him in ideal calls, and he’s doing that. They’re talented around him. He’s playing really good football right now, and they have good players around him.”

• • •

The Eagles’ special teams are ranked 12th in the NFL. Concerns?

"Overall, it’s been solid,” said special teams coordinator Michael Clay. "It’s been OK. There are some things we could get better at, no doubt. If you ask anybody in this building, no one is ever satisfied where you’re at through five weeks.”

The Eagles are ranked first in punt returns and sixth in punt-return defense.

"I think our coverages have been doing a really good job in terms of punt and kickoff coverage,” Clay said. "But we’ve still got to get better in all phases to help this team reach the goal that we want to reach.”

• • •

With multiple recent issues concerning head injuries, the NFL has tightened concussion protocols. That could mean that quarterbacks could be made to exit games sooner should they be found to be concussed.

Since Jalen Hurts is always willing to run and absorb contact, that could affect the Eagles as early as Sunday.

"I really don’t want to comment on that stuff, to be honest,” offensive coordinator Shane Steichen said. "I know the NFL. That’s their protocol right now. I’ll leave it at that.”

• Haha 1

I do think this defense can still be better. I think it's been much improved but there's still things it needs to do better for sure. For a start better tackling would be good! They were awful on Sunday. 

3 hours ago, rrfierce said:

First in Punt returns?

Sorry what?

Exactly what I thought when I read that.  He musta been sniffing glue while writing that...he is WAY off...Eagles rank 25th in punt return average at 6.5 yards per return.

4 hours ago, rrfierce said:

First in Punt returns?

Sorry what?

31 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

Exactly what I thought when I read that.  He musta been sniffing glue while writing that...he is WAY off...Eagles rank 25th in punt return average at 6.5 yards per return.

Ditto.  

The Eagles have the most punt returns in the NFL, with 15. That is what he meant. It really is more of a testament to the defense than it is special teams. It was worded very weirdly.

• Like 1

How much will Davis Play Sunday Night? It is no secret that Dallas goes as their Running attack performs. Plug that up and they become a very average Offense. On the other side, we know that running the ball will be the secret. Biggest battles are on the Lines. Dallas has a good one. I wonder how Parson's groin will react if he has to constantly deal with Mailata or Johnson run blocking......

11 minutes ago, stine said:

I wonder how Parson's groin will react if he has to constantly deal with Mailata or Johnson run blocking......

... or Gainwell's chip blocks. 

12 minutes ago, stine said:

How much will Davis Play Sunday Night? It is no secret that Dallas goes as their Running attack performs. Plug that up and they become a very average Offense. On the other side, we know that running the ball will be the secret. Biggest battles are on the Lines. Dallas has a good one. I wonder how Parson's groin will react if he has to constantly deal with Mailata or Johnson run blocking......

Hopefully Mailata is good to go Sunday night.  If Driscoll is out there I have a feeling they'll be lining Parsons up across from him quite a bit.  Would hate to have him breaking free coming at Hurts from his blind side.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

Hopefully Mailata is good to go Sunday night.  If Driscoll is out there I have a feeling they'll be lining Parsons up across from him quite a bit.  Would hate to have him breaking free coming at Hurts from his blind side.  

I cannot imagine Mailata will not give it a go. They have a bye next week should it be a problem......