Eagles elevate Marvin Wilson from the practice squad for Texans game

Procus

Shades of Big V in 2017 after Peters went down

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2022/11/3/23439453/eagles-news-elevate-marvin-wilson-practice-squad-texans-game-roster-defensive-tackle-line-nfl

Eagles elevate Marvin Wilson from the practice squad for Texans game

More DT depth.

NFL: AUG 07 Philadelphia Eagles Training Camp

The Philadelphia Eagles temporarily elevated practice squad defensive tackle Marvin Wilson to the roster ahead of the team’s Week 9 game against the Houston Texans.

This move was expected in the aftermath of Jordan Davis going on injured reserve due to an ankle injury.

Bumping Wilson up gives the Eagles five defensive tackles to utilize in Houston. Fletcher Cox and Javon Hargrave are the starters with Milton Williams and Marlon Tuipulotu contributing as role players. Wilson could also see some snaps in a rotational capacity.

Wilson had a solid training camp but he was never in a strong position to make the team since the Eagles were deep at defensive tackle. Davis’s injury is going to give Wilson a chance to show what he’s got in the regular season.

Nick Sirianni talked about Wilson earlier this week:

"I think Marvin, what we saw with him is that he came back in great shape. He came back with his body ready to play. He had a great training camp that we’re like, hopefully — and we’re deep at that room, right? We’re like we can’t keep them all. Hopefully we don’t lose Marvin.

We are fortunate that we have him. If he’s called upon in this game, he’ll be ready to go. We have confidence in him. And again, like I said to you guys, it’s not just like blind faith. We’re seeing him work every single day. We’re evaluating him. We’re evaluating the practice squad players all the time. All the time with the different things that we’re doing with them from the developmental periods to the individual periods to the one-on-one periods, and we have a lot of faith in him if he’s number is called on.”

In what turned out to be a cool coincidence for him, Wilson will be making his season debut in his hometown of Houston. Go figure. Wilson previously played for the Eagles in Week 18 of last year, when he logged three tackles against the Dallas Cowboys.

Wilson will revert to the practice squad following Thursday’s game. He’ll be eligible to be temporarily elevated for game day two more times this season.

It’s worth noting that the Eagles chose to elevate Wilson when they could’ve signed him with the open roster spot they created by putting Davis on IR.

He made four tackles and he almost had a sack. He created pressure quite a few times. You can’t blame him for Fletcher Cox and Hargreave not playing well in the run game. That’s just a fact.

The issue with this defense is our starting DTs are the leaders and pass rushers. However the second string line is by far better at stopping the run. Marlon and Milton are far better run defenders. They won’t let them play more even if the game is suited for them. They won’t allow Cox and Hargreave just be 3rd down players and allow Milton and Marlon play 1st and second down. They play in waves not by downs. This should be changed because teams know they can run on the first team defensive line

Jordan Davis was a big loss for the team.  I hope he's back for the Titans game.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Procus said:

Jordan Davis was a big loss for the team.  I hope he's back for the Titans game.

My god if he's not then that could get rather messy... Is there much of a chance that he will be?

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

My god if he's not then that could get rather messy... Is there much of a chance that he will be?

He's eligible to return.  His IR designation means he's out for a minimum of four games.  The Titan game would be the fifth game.

• Like 1