Look Forward

Talon

Ok, now we have to look forward and ensure we secure homefield advantage and win the Conference.  And who knows from there?

Look I think after a loss the initial reaction is concern and doom. I think the things we all thought would hurt us did tonight. It's a bad loss to a bad team and so I think there is reason to be concerned. I'm not sure they get the win in Indy either to be honest I think they will stack a couple of losses now. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Look I think after a loss the initial reaction is concern and doom. I think the things we all thought would hurt us did tonight. It's a bad loss to a bad team and so I think there is reason to be concerned. I'm not sure they get the win in Indy either to be honest I think they will stack a couple of losses now. 

If they lose to Indy I guarantee they lose the division then.

Just now, wrestlevessel said:

If they lose to Indy I guarantee they lose the division then.

They may well do. Despite a great start they are now only a game ahead. NY isn't going anywhere at this point we know that and Dallas will be there or thereabouts.

The very BIGGEST thing that hurts teams is injuries.  We need to make offerings to the "Injury Gods" and keep our players healthy. After that, we need to be able to stop the run. 

Y

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They may well do. Despite a great start they are now only a game ahead. NY isn't going anywhere at this point we know that and Dallas will be there or thereabouts.

You really think we are that bad? Man I pray the Lions pull a miracle on those a-hole Giants. They are so annoying.

Just now, wrestlevessel said:

Y

You really think we are that bad? Man I pray the Lions pull a miracle on those a-hole Giants. They are so annoying.

I don't think we are that bad no. I think a lot of us perhaps bought in a little too much. I think perhaps we are a good team but not as good as we hoped. I think we lose another 4 games this year and maybe the #1 seed isn't going to happen. But look this is after a bad loss to a bad team. If we turn it around Sunday and dominate then that changes perception again. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think we are that bad no. I think a lot of us perhaps bought in a little too much. I think perhaps we are a good team but not as good as we hoped. I think we lose another 4 games this year and maybe the #1 seed isn't going to happen. But look this is after a bad loss to a bad team. If we turn it around Sunday and dominate then that changes perception again. 

In order to dominate, we need to score a lot and keep them away from the redzone.  We haven't had a shutdown secondary like this in decades. So all that left is stopping the run.  That should be our focus.

Just now, Talon said:

In order to dominate, we need to score a lot and keep them away from the redzone.  We haven't had a shutdown secondary like this in decades. So all that left is stopping the run.  That should be our focus.

But you do that and then something else gives. We do have a fantastic secondary but our DL isn't that good. And so that's an issue. 

Hey,  which is more important to us?  Is it better to have been an undefeated or win the SB?  Yeah, both.  Right? But It might be even better to establish ourselves as the dominant team in our division, then conference, then perennial SB contenders.  A "dynasty" if you will.  Look we were gonna sit out our starters anyway with the remaining games once we locked the Home advantage.  Now that undefeated is gone, we can concentrate on execution.  Everything that happened to us tonight was a "perfect storm".  If this happens again, then we're cursed.  But let's see.

35 minutes ago, Talon said:

Hey,  which is more important to us?  Is it better to have been an undefeated or win the SB?  Yeah, both.  Right? But It might be even better to establish ourselves as the dominant team in our division, then conference, then perennial SB contenders.  A "dynasty" if you will.  Look we were gonna sit out our starters anyway with the remaining games once we locked the Home advantage.  Now that undefeated is gone, we can concentrate on execution.  Everything that happened to us tonight was a "perfect storm".  If this happens again, then we're cursed.  But let's see.

I don't think the issue is the loss. This team was unlikely to go undefeated so a loss was coming. The issue was the manner of the loss and that there were warning signs in a lot of games that they haven't addressed. The worry is that they now go on the road and ish the bed in back to back games. Suddenly then we could see a slide. 

On 11/15/2022 at 12:17 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think the issue is the loss. This team was unlikely to go undefeated so a loss was coming. The issue was the manner of the loss and that there were warning signs in a lot of games that they haven't addressed. The worry is that they now go on the road and ish the bed in back to back games. Suddenly then we could see a slide. 

Agree to a point. The manner/type of loss is important here and despite all the shoulda, woulda, couldas,  it remains that the loss is a win had we: 1) been more stout against the run, 2) Brown goes up to receive/contest Hurts' throws as he did before (for three TDs, but was mysteriously lazy against the WC), 3) Watkins was more secure with the ball, 4) The lack of a facemask call against Goedert, and lastly 5) The absolutely "Let's play Flag Football" STUPID call against BG.   The officials should be disciplined in some way.  Some might even think Jerry had some of them paid off. 

4 hours ago, Talon said:

Agree to a point. The manner/type of loss is important here and despite all the shoulda, woulda, couldas,  it remains that the loss is a win had we: 1) been more stout against the run, 2) Brown goes up to receive/contest Hurts' throws as he did before (for three TDs, but was mysteriously lazy against the WC), 3) Watkins was more secure with the ball, 4) The lack of a facemask call against Goedert, and lastly 5) The absolutely "Let's play Flag Football" STUPID call against BG.   The officials should be disciplined in some way.  Some might even think Jerry had some of them paid off. 

But they've not been stout against the run all year. Ball security has now been an issue the last 2 games so this wasn't just the odd one out. And yes I agree you can't do much about bad officiating and yes I agree they had chances to win the game but the reality is they didn't. The didn't execute well enough on the night and they lost, at home, to a bad team. That's a little cause for concern. What they have to do now is beat Indy, another bad team, and move on. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But they've not been stout against the run all year. Ball security has now been an issue the last 2 games so this wasn't just the odd one out. And yes I agree you can't do much about bad officiating and yes I agree they had chances to win the game but the reality is they didn't. The didn't execute well enough on the night and they lost, at home, to a bad team. That's a little cause for concern. What they have to do now is beat Indy, another bad team, and move on. 

And yet they managed to have a third best defense ranking this year compared to a horrible 21-22 season  ( https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-defense-rankings/ )

2 hours ago, Talon said:

And yet they managed to have a third best defense ranking this year compared to a horrible 21-22 season  ( https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-defense-rankings/ )

Right? Because the offense has controlled the clock. And yes the defense has been much improved but tackling and the run game has been an issue. Here's the thing though... The team gets ahead and is good against the pass. Teams then almost have to run in a situation where they want to pass. And they know they can move the ball that way but then they drain the clock. 

On 11/17/2022 at 3:06 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Right? Because the offense has controlled the clock. And yes the defense has been much improved but tackling and the run game has been an issue. Here's the thing though... The team gets ahead and is good against the pass. Teams then almost have to run in a situation where they want to pass. And they know they can move the ball that way but then they drain the clock. 

I'm watching Packers vs Titans.  The latter is beating the former by using the same method of clock control and 'just making it' third down runs.  All of the teams will be studying WC's approach to a fruitful offense.