Gervon Dexter Sr. (Florida DL) -- DRAFTED BY CHICAGO #53

HazletonEagle

Gervon Dexter is a 6'5'' 319lb DT for the Florida Gators. He is said to have the athleticism to become a solid pass rusher. But he is a big nasty run stuffer. Theres really no highlights to share, at least not yet. Run stuffers arent usually high on the radar for guys who make highlight videos. But Dexter is high on the lists of scouts. 

I know people are looking for pass rush. But this defense is predicated on the front 4-5 stopping the run so that the rest of the defense can play coverage and stop the pass. It also requires smaller LBs who excel in coverage. Those guys can play the run better when they are protected- and Cox, and Milton Williams just arent doing that for them.

This is how Georgia plays, and the reason why an athletic freak like Travon Walker didnt have big sack production. But why you still got to see him flash on passing downs. And why a guy like Nakobe Dean can look like an all star. He was protected not just by Jordan Davis but by other very functionally strong DL in front of him like Walker. 

In order to play that style, we need to stock up on guys who first and foremost can control their gaps. Added athleticism to pin their ears back when the time comes to rush the passer is certainly important as well. But this defense cant work until we get gap control fixed. Too many of our DL are getting pushed around. 

Imagine two DTs the size of Davis, and Dexter next to each other. Worry about getting some elite rushers on the edge. Dare teams to try to run with this wall in the middle of our D. 

Gervon Dexter is high on my list of picks with our own 1st rounder at the end of round 1. 

A bit slow off the snap, but stays low for a tall DT and has long arms to stalemate/walkback iOL and muddle passing lanes - definite fallback if Jalen Carter isn't in the cards.  I don't think he'll go top-20 as I don't see him as a gap shooting, quick kill guy - although I might have missed that game.

1 hour ago, Waiting4Someday said:

A bit slow off the snap, but stays low for a tall DT and has long arms to stalemate/walkback iOL and muddle passing lanes - definite fallback if Jalen Carter isn't in the cards.  I don't think he'll go top-20 as I don't see him as a gap shooting, quick kill guy - although I might have missed that game.

Agreed. Not an explosive rusher. Sounds like scouts thing he can develop more as a rusher. A bit in the Jordan Davis mold in that regard. Right now hes a run stuffer with potential to grow a pass rush arsenal. Hes definitely more of a pick 31 type of prospect. I like him a bit more than Ika who just looks wide and slow. Though surely an immovable force. Id still take him too.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...