What GPU/CPU is needed?

TEW

So I’m looking to buy a computer for a family member who will be gaming, streaming and video editing.

Are the 3000 series RTX good enough to last 5+ years for these functions?

Should I look at just Intel for the CPU?

How much memory etc?

I’d like to keep this to ~$2,500 if possible but it needs to last through college for them.

Desk top ?

Lap top ?

Benchmarks if possible :

16gb of ram

Solid state hard drive 1 to 2 TB in size if at all possible

Laptops are more of a package deal as far as you get what's in them and have very little ability in the way of upgrading their components.

These next items are more desk top :

Good Processors:

Amd Ryzen 7 - 5800

Intel core i5 -- 12600

Amd Ryzen 7 -- 7700

Intel core i5 -- 13600

Good video cards:

Nvidea geforce 3070

"    "       geforce 3090

Amd Radeon 5600

Pny nvidea quadro 4000

The idea behind a graphics card is to let that do the heavy lifting for graphics instead of the other components...... important for all of the things you mentioned.

Creative makes all sorts of sound blaster audio cards which might be important to your wishes on this.

There are plenty of sites out there that will custom build..... many will walk you through the direction you wish to go and suggest different components based on what performances you are looking for.

On 12/3/2022 at 10:50 AM, Steve 17 said:

Desk top ?

Lap top ?

Benchmarks if possible :

16gb of ram

Laptops are more of a package deal as far as you get what's in them and have very little ability in the way of upgrading their components.

Good Processors:

Amd Ryzen 7 - 5800

Intel core i5 -- 12600

Amd Ryzen 7 -- 7700

Intel core i5 -- 13600

Good video cards:

Nvidea geforce 3070

Amd Radeon 5600

Pny nvidea quadro 4000

The idea behind a graphics card is to let that do the heavy lifting for graphics instead of the other components...... important for all of the things you mentioned.

Creative makes all sorts of sound blaster audio cards which might be important to your wishes on this.

There are plenty of sites out there that will custom build..... many will walk you through the direction you wish to go and suggest different components based on what performances you are looking for.

Thanks for the reply!

Desk top for sure.

From what I’ve read the 3080ti is kind of the best mix between future proof and cost? Can I go lower with the 3070 and still have the computer last for 5-7 years and be able to keep pace with whatever comes out?

What are some good manufacturers? I have absolutely no idea about any of this stuff. :lol: 

Thats where it gets dicey. There are some good component product manufacturers out there but as far as PC manufacturers they're all kind of average. I will say.... I have an Hp desktop that is over 10 years old that I upgraded with components and software over time and it just keeps working. I also have a 9 year old Dell laptop for work that sits in my truck all year long ( heat and cold ) and it just keeps going as well. 

17 hours ago, Steve 17 said:

Thats where it gets dicey. There are some good component product manufacturers out there but as far as PC manufacturers they're all kind of average. I will say.... I have an Hp desktop that is over 10 years old that I upgraded with components and software over time and it just keeps working. I also have a 9 year old Dell laptop for work that sits in my truck all year long ( heat and cold ) and it just keeps going as well. 

Hmm, well I definitely have neither the time nor inclination to build a computer. Are there any brands with a good reputation? Or any to steer clear from?

At the end of the day I just want something that will reliably work and do what it needs to do for him, so if it costs a bit more whatever.

Personally I have no problem with either HP or Dell.

The benchmarks that I mentioned way above would give you a good jumping off point.

Based on your statements video and audio are important. So essentially with video.......  the more RAM ( VRAM )  on the video card the better.

Check both HP and Dell's websites for graphic design or gaming and both should lead you to a good place.

You can go on dell and pick one of their gaming laptops and customize it. That's what I did. Ended up upgrading to an i9, 64 RAM, RTX 3080 ti, and 2TB

23 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

You can go on dell and pick one of their gaming laptops and customize it. That's what I did. Ended up upgrading to an i9, 64 RAM, RTX 3080 ti, and 2TB

Did the laptop come with a ceramic tile heatshield to keep it from burning through your table?

3 hours ago, BBE said:

Did the laptop come with a ceramic tile heatshield to keep it from burning through your table?

Lol I could have gone up one more upgrade for the processor but decided not

On 12/3/2022 at 10:50 AM, Steve 17 said:

Desk top ?

Lap top ?

Benchmarks if possible :

16gb of ram

Good Processors:

Amd Ryzen 7 - 5800

Intel core i5 -- 12600

Amd Ryzen 7 -- 7700

Intel core i5 -- 13600

Good video cards:

Nvidea geforce 3070

Amd Radeon 5600

Pny nvidea quadro 4000

Steve dropping knowledge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redden said:

Steve dropping knowledge.

...... just trying to show I'm not just a boob poster.

Lol @Redden

Back in the previous century...... with some old friends..... our band ( we were lousy ) name was Playmate Spread...... first it was Centerfold Layout..... but friggin idiots thought we only played J. Geils. We were 14 and 15 years old mound hounds...... had we seen into the future.

Lol..... thanks for the memories.... 

...... or mamaries. Lol.

• Haha 1

Nice.  

We were Metal Wolves.  We, too, were lousy.  Except the drummer, he was actually really good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redden said:

Nice.  

We were Metal Wolves.  We, too, were lousy.  Except the drummer, he was actually really good.

Thank you very much, been a long time since I even thought about those times. Been longer since I have even talked to any of them. However it did make me break out some tunes that were days gone by.

Autograph - Turn up the radio

Cult- She sells sanctuary

Y&T- Rescue me

White Lion - All burn in hell

Kix- Sex

Fastway ? Dirty Looks ? Loudness ? Dio ? Kick Axe ?

Too many to name.....

Thanks again...... if anyone is looking ....... I'll be in my basement playing old vinyl, cassettes, and 8 tracks, loudly.:rock: