Wealth of running backs problem

xzmattzx

I have a good problem of having too many good running backs.  I have Derrick Henry, Travis Etienne (off waivers), Jamaal Williams (off waivers), and Tony Pollard (off waivers).  It's two RB positions and a Flex position, so someone will always be on the bench (my wide receivers are not as good as my running backs, so a running back seems to be the obvious choice for the Flex).  So I have to decide each week who will have the least productive day.  Most weeks I've been correct, although last week I started Etienne, who got hurt.

What's everyone's thoughts for this week and beyond?  I'm in first place in my league, and will make the playoffs, but I obviously want to maximize the number of points I get.  Does anyone see any glaring matchups where one of these four guys won't really do much?  Thursday night games seem to be fantasy stat dud games, for instance.

14 minutes ago, DBW said:

I’d go henry, ET, williams.  

I'm torn between Pollard and Williams as the last starter. Just picking who will have the better game against a below average AFC South team, splitting time with another RB.

1 minute ago, xzmattzx said:

I'm torn between Pollard and Williams as the last starter. Just picking who will have the better game against a below average AFC South team, splitting time with another RB.

Williams is almost a lock to get in the end zone every week.  He gets 10-15 attempts and can easily break one for big gains too.  I’ve had him as a lineup lock all season along with henry and Kenneth walker 

44 minutes ago, xzmattzx said:

I started Williams.  Both Etienne and Henry were subpar. It may be that Henry should've been benched.

Yeah none of my backs really did much. Walker left the game with an ankle injury but if you ask me he quit in the team tonight because shortly before he left he was arguing with Gino. Fortunately AJ had a big day and Adams is having a big day….and my opponent lost jimmy G so I should be fine 

I left Pollard on the bench, thinking Zeke would get the bulk of points, and that was a big mistake that cost me the win

So after sitting Pollard cost me, I think the Cowboys offense is good enough to warrant starting Pollard from here on out.  So now I pick between Etienne and Jamaal Williams.  Swift was used extensively last weekend, so I am tentatively leaning towards benching Williams.

I agree you should start Pollard. He's RB2/Flex territory no matter the matchup. Especially in PPR because the Cowboys like throwing to him. 

Etienne > Williams. Usage suggests Etienne should be better than Williams because Swift is going to eat into his touches. But I can't say it's a guarantee.

Another big game from Pollard shows that I continue to start him in the playoffs.  Etienne scored 0.5 less than Jamaal Williams, but both were duds yesterday anyway.  And I will win my game and go into the playoffs as the #1 overall seed.

What is really weird is Williams and Etienne had almost identical stat lines - plenty of touches, disappointing results. Despite both teams getting big wins last week.

At this point, start Henry and Pollard. Williams and Etienne are toss up, depending on matchup. I guess I still favor Etienne. But I can't say I like either one right now.

11 hours ago, toolg said:

What is really weird is Williams and Etienne had almost identical stat lines - plenty of touches, disappointing results. Despite both teams getting big wins last week.

At this point, start Henry and Pollard. Williams and Etienne are toss up, depending on matchup. I guess I still favor Etienne. But I can't say I like either one right now.

Both are fizzling out.  Right now, the final question is if Williams will score a touchdown or not.  I would start him if I thought he would, and bench him if I thought he wouldn't.  Some of those stats were with Swift out, but now he shares touches and isn't part of the passing game, so it really comes down to the 6 points for the score or not.

Definitely start Pollard.

I have 2 solid starters at RB in Henry and Jacobs. Who should I start at the flex spot this week... Zeke or Naji Harris? I'm actually leaning toward Zeke because he's had the higher floor (at least 15 points in his last 4 matchups).

I think Zeke is a pretty safe start unless he's hurt or it's a really tough D. He's a little bit TD or bust, but so is Harris. Which offense do you trust more right now, Dallas or Pittsburgh?

• Like 1

I would play Zeke, much like I'm sticking with Pollard right now: the Cowboys offense is potent, and puts up great fantasy numbers.

• Like 1

I started Henry and Pollard, and flexed Etienne, and benched Williams this week.  I definitely made the right move on that.  I'm thinking with my team from here on out, I need to predict when Williams will have a touchdown, or Swift will be out and Williams gets all the touches; if Williams doesn't score, he is a dud, and Etienne is the feature back in Jacksonville, so on an average day Etienne should do better than Williams.

Once again, I have to decide if Etienne will have a regular game and get 10-12 points, or if Jamaal Williams will score to offset that.  Swift is getting more touches, and getting passes, so Jamaal seems to be a reliable bench player at this point, unless I can think of a reason Etienne will have a dud of a game.

Lions are on the road. Williams is only good if he scored a couple of TD... Etienne against the Jets on a sloppy weather Thursday night isn't an easy task either. I'd likely stick with Etienne with this one. Good luck!

4 hours ago, toolg said:

Lions are on the road. Williams is only good if he scored a couple of TD... Etienne against the Jets on a sloppy weather Thursday night isn't an easy task either. I'd likely stick with Etienne with this one. Good luck!

I'm heavily leaning towards Etienne as well, since sloppy weather favors a running game, and Trevor Lawrence is questionable.  Add to that Lions on the road, where they don't play as well, and needing a touchdown from Williams.

The downside to Etienne is that these Thursday games tend to be duds, which lead to low fantasy points all around.