January Mock

Rob331

With 10 starters among 17 free agents and not much cap space the Eagles need to depend on the draft more than ever this year. Problem is they only have 6 draft picks and 2 of them are in the 7th round. The obvious solution is to use our 2 1st round picks to gather more picks. Obviously Howis would have to fid willing dance partners and trades would have to make sense to both teams so here goes. 

Trade 1 - Use the 10th pick obtained from the Saints. Trade with Detriot for pick 18 (1st round), 50 (second round), and a 5th. Detroit has 2 1's and 2 's and with this trade now has 3 1's and a 2. The trade works in terms of the value chart with the Eagles gaining a slight premium for trading the higher pick. Pick 10 = 1300 points vs pick 18 =900 pick 50 = 400 and the 5th would be in the 20's. 

Trade 2 - The Eagles own first round pick (now 31 at 600 points) for a 2 and a 3. A trade with the Steelers for s 2 (pick 49) a 3 (pick 80) and a 5th. Again, this works with the value chart. The Eagles give up 600 poiint for 410 (the second rond pick), 190 (the third round pick) and a 6th. Like before the 6th is a bit of a premoim for trading the higher pick in the deal. 

Free agent re-signings - one of the LB's (hopefully Edwards, but it could be White. One of the safeties (Epps or CGJ). Hargrave, Pascal, Lovato and (fingers crossed (BG)

That means we lose these starters - RB Sanders, G Seumalo, DT Cox and Hargrave (I'm not counting Suh and Joseph), a LB (White or Edwards), a Safety (Epps or CGJ), and Bradberry. Backups we lose are QB Minshew, OT Dillard, G Opeta, WR Ward, DE Quinn and RB Scott. 

Signing other FA's is likely not going to happen considering the mega-deal on tap for Hurts.

But we do have some depth who might/could step up. Dean ready to step in as a LB starter and Blankenship who could step in at safety, Sermon who can replace Scott, Robinson and or Barnett who can make the roster at DE.  We also have PS players who can step up as deep roster offensive linemen

THE DRAFT - 

• 1 (18) - S Antonio Johnson Texas A&M, Oregon 6'3" 200 4.48     Replaces either Epps or CGJ
  • 2 (49) - CB Elijah Ricks, Alabama 6'2" 195 4.45     Replaces Bradberry
  • 2 (50) - DE BJ Ojulari, LSU 6'3" 244 4.75      Replaces Quinn or God forbid BG 
  • 2 (63)  - DT Gervon Dexter, Florida 6'6" 313 5.2 0     Replaces Cox
  • 3 (80) - RB Zach Charbonnet, UCLA 6'1" 220 4.53     Replaces Sanders
  • 3 (95) - G/T Andrew Vorhees, Southern Cal 6'6" 320 5.25     Replaces Seumalo and he's a swing guy who can step in at tackle
  • 5 - DT Ruke Orhorhoro, Clemson 6'4" 295 5.15     Replaces Hargrave
  • 6 - LB DeMarvin Overshown, Texas 6'4" 221 4.7     Replaces White or Edwards
  • 7  WR Dontay Demus, Maryland 6'3" 213 4.48     Replaces Ward
  • 7 - Clayton Tune, Houston 6'3" 215 4.80     Replaces Minshew

• Like 1

lots of effort rob always good to hear your thoughts! the part i don’t like is that your first 5 picks are "replacing” players that are good to above average to expect that out of 5 rookies in 1 year doesn’t make me feel to confident! 

Howie will have to work some magic on the cap so we can keep a few more pieces to stay competitive and allow another good young draft class to get their feet wet and ready to play in the nfl

21 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

lots of effort rob always good to hear your thoughts! the part i don’t like is that your first 5 picks are "replacing” players that are good to above average to expect that out of 5 rookies in 1 year doesn’t make me feel to confident! 

Howie will have to work some magic on the cap so we can keep a few more pieces to stay competitive and allow another good young draft class to get their feet wet and ready to play in the nfl

I hope you are right but I thnk I already spent "Howie's magic money" by resigning Hargrave,  one of the linebackers, one of the safeties, Pascal, and Lovato. After that and a new deal for Hurts the will will be bone dry.  

Here's a line form above - Free agent re-signings - one of the LB's (hopefully Edwards, but it could be White. One of the safeties (Epps or CGJ). Hargrave, Pascal, Lovato and (fingers crossed (BG)

I'm not impressed. I usually get an optimistic feeling that we have improved our roster each spring.

When comparing who replaces whom, I feel we would substantially regress.

Just my impression.

I would like to see probable improvement somewhere - ESPECIALLY in round #1. 

How do the Lions now have 3 1sts if they’re trading us #18 for #10? 

You have us losing Hargrave but it says re-sign Hargrave? 

I don’t like giving up the 31st pick for 2nd and 3rd rounders. That free 5th year option will give us higher flexibility in the future, and allows us to presumable choose on of our top 25 players on the board. 

Same goes for dropping from a top 10 pick to 18. It’s just too many picks down the board, to get back worse odds gambles in the same draft. If you remove the 3-4 QBs from the board, Eagles will have a chance at selecting a top 5-6 player in the draft. Even better if teams choose some WRs in the top 10 following combine/pro day results.  That means, elite DL or DB falls into our lap. 

Lastly, this is YOUR mock. Get those OR’s out of here lol. Who do they take Epps or CJGJ? Edwards or White? They’re very different players and would presumably change how you draft. 

Thanks for putting the time in! Can’t wait to see more! 

• Like 1