FAKE NEWS: BEATING A TEAM 3 TIMES IN A SEASON IS NOT AS DIFFICULT AS YOU THINK

time2rock

FAKE NEWS: BEATING A TEAM 3 TIMES IN A SEASON IS NOT AS DIFFICULT AS YOU THINK

January 18, 2023

Fake News

What if I told you, beating an NFL team three times in a single season is not all that difficult. In fact, it’s falls squarely into the ‘Fake News’ category.

Whenever an NFL team faces a divisional opponent for a third time after defeating them twice during the regular season, you’re bound to see a lot of, "Well you know, it’s really hard to beat a team three times in a single season!”

That phrase is usually uttered by fans of the team who’s already lost the previous two matchups. New York Giants fans have been screaming it from their rooftops this entire week, as they prepare to face the No. 1 seed Philadelphia Eagles Saturday night.

Of course, the Eagles took the regular season series from New York. They dismantled the Giants in New York on December 11, 48-22. Then in the regular season finale, Philly got the W over New York’s backups.

In an attempt to spread optimism, Giants fans have latched onto this narrative that it’s actually difficult to beat a team three times in a season. It’s fake news, here’s why.

Since 1970, there have been 24 instances where a team going 2-0 against an opponent in the regular season meets that same team in the postseason. The team that sits at 2-0 on the season series has a record of 15-9 in the third matchup. If said team is hosting a playoff game, their record sits at 14-5.

image.png.2e62d79e82607a5ecb487ab62ba79882.png

You have to feel for Giants fans just a little bit here. They haven’t won a playoff game in so long that they forget what a true Super Bowl contender looks like. Sadly for them, they’ll see one first-hand come Saturday night.

If leaning into this fake news narrative helps you cope with the impending bloodbath at The Linc, then so be it.

https://thelibertyline.com/2023/01/18/fake-news-beating-team-3-times/

The stats don't back up the "it's hard to beat a team 3 times" theory. I think it can also go both ways. Why would it be easier for the team who's already lost twice? But I do think this is going to be the toughest of the 3 games. NY are buoyant right now and they are playing with house money. 

I dont agree that the Giants fans are desperate due to lack of recent playoff success..not many teams can replicate what they have done in the last 20 years. Though consistency isnt the best 2 sb championships is far above exceeding expectations