Super Bowl Bound!

time2rock

Super Bowl Bound!

Posted: January 29th, 2023 | Author: Tommy Lawlor 

The Eagles beat the Niners 31-7 to win the NFC Championship. It wasn’t a pretty game. It wasn’t smooth or easy. But it was absolutely beautiful in its own way.

QB Brock Purdy was knocked out on the Niners opening drive.

Purdy was replaced by Josh Johnson (who is so old he once played for Jon Gruden in Tampa). Then the Eagles knocked Johnson out of the game and that was that.

SF’s defense played really well and made the game more challenging than it should have been. The Eagles never did throw the ball well, but the run game came alive and that was enough offense for the Eagles to control the game and get the win.

The Eagles only gave up 164 yards. SF had 25 pass plays. The Eagles were credited with 7 QB hits (3 sacks). The Niners couldn’t protect the QB and the Eagles made them pay for that.

image.png.68a2a4ffdc5e36ca40bdb7411c4d6e64.png

image.png.4fcc4ec753ad0c4ab2568dd9c0ce2fc4.png

SF had a bunch of costly penalties, which infuriated Kyle Shanahan. He complained non-stop. Every replay showed the Niners committing the penalty. I guess he wanted them to swallow the whistles and let his guys do what they wanted.

Nick Sirianni out-coached Shanahan and that’s a key part of why the Eagles are headed to the Super Bowl.

Wild game. Wild day.

One more game to go.

What a special team…

http://igglesblitz.com/2023/01/super-bowl-bound-2/

Yeah, Tommy Lawlor's talking about it.  "Genius" Kyle Shanahan is not such a genius after all.  I don't know if it's hubris, stupidity, or disrespect, but blocking Reddick with a backup TE was just plain dumb.  If they were back there in max protect it would have taken a bit away from their passing game, but they probably would have been able to finish the game with a QB that could actually throw the ball. 

I think Shanahan was so frustrated by the injuries to his QBs all year and in this game, that it finally got to him......and I'm sure he was angry at his guys as much as the refs.......when it rains it pours sometimes, and he just let it all out......who can blame him?  A team has a super bowl capable roster and a great defense, but the one cog in the wheel, QB, just keeps breaking down.......It would drive any head coach crazy.

I'm sure when Shanahan watches the tape, he'll see that every defensive penalty was justified.......they weren't debatable calls.  The roughing the punter, the facemask and the late hit on Hurts were really obvious.  They thought their guy was pushed into the punter, but on replay, he clearly was not.

On plays where Reddick is blocked with a TE,....it looks like a stuped coaching decision, but that play is probably designed to get the ball out quicker than Purdy did......you can hold the ball there....it's one look, maybe two and throw....Purdy took too long....