Howie’s Big Spree, Finally Paid Off

time2rock

Howie’s Big Spree, Finally Paid Off

Eagles GM Howie Roseman wasn’t going to stop with the roster moves this season. In July I wrote about the names that the Eagles had added via the Draft and Free Agency. including some familiar faces that were re-signed to the team:

– WR Greg Ward
– LB Haason Reddick
– S Anthony Harris
– DT Fletcher Cox
– RB Boston Scott
– WR Zach Pascal
– DE Derek Barnett
– LB Kyzir White
– WR Devin Allen
– DT Jordan Davis
– WR A.J. Brown
– C Cam Jurgens
– TE Grant Calcaterra
– LB Nakobe Dean
– QB Carson Strong
– CB James Bradberry
– S Jaquiski Tartt

This was the extensive list added to the roster before pre-season started.

Since this list, some of the aforementioned players have been cut or waived. Such as Carson Strong and Jaquiski Tartt. But that doesn’t mean Howie stopped there. Before the season began, and before the trade deadline, the Eagles continued to add the following players:

• S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
  • DE Robert Quinn
  • DT Linval Joseph
  • DT Ndamukong Suh

With any noticeable gaps in the roster seemingly filled, the Eagles had one goal. Make it to Arizona.

And they have.

On Sunday January 29th, the Eagles dominated the San Francisco 49ers on both sides of the ball, coming out with a 31-7 victory, had they not pulled the starters, there’s a potential the Eagles could have ended another NFC Championship Game with another 38-7 victory.

Howie’s Biggest Additions

Checking in on Howie’s moves, let’s see how two of the biggest names have held up their part of the bargain in both the regular season, and the playoffs.

Haason Reddick

Reddick signed a 3 year, $45 Million dollar contract this Spring. With a Defensive Player of the Year nominated season, Reddick piled up 16 Sacks, with 5 Forced Fumbles, 3 Recoveries, and 49 total tackles in the regular season.

In 2 playoff games, Haason Reddick has proved himself to be a top pass rusher in the league, netting 3.5 Sacks, 2 Tackles for Loss, 4 QB Hits and 1 Forced Fumble and Recovery. While DPOY is a regular season award, Reddick has proved himself every single game.

A.J. Brown

During the 1st round of the draft, the Eagles acquired Brown from the Titans for the 18th and 101st picks in the draft. With the trade, A.J. Brown signed a 4 Year $100 Million dollar extension that will see him in Midnight Green until 2026.

In the regular season, A.J. Brown tallied for 1,496 Yards on 88 Receptions with 11 Touchdowns. A career high in yards that saw him break  the Eagles single-season receiving yard record, previously held by Mike Quick at 1,409 Yards set in 1983.

While A.J. hasn’t had a noteworthy post-season box score, 50 yards total across both playoff games. His biggest catch against San Francisco kept the Eagles opening drive alive, and resulted in the team taking the lead they never gave up.

Beyond This Season

Following the Super Bowl, the Eagles will have a lengthy Free Agent list coming into the off-season, with 21 Free Agents to decide on.

Howie and the Eagles only have to win one more game to bring Philadelphia its 2nd Super Bowl.

Well worth the price.

Go Birds.

https://phlsportsnation.com/2023/02/02/howies-big-spree-finally-paid-off/

Even though it seems like Howie will have his hands full this offseason, I'm sure he's been working on that for a while.........he's a master at the salary cap, he always wheels and deals during the draft, and finding guys he can plug holes with on one year contracts.

If the eagles win the super bowl, we all wonder whether Kelce or even Johnson and Graham will retire.  They're all at the end of their careers and it's always good to go our on top.  

I'm sure that Cox, Quinn, Barnett, Suh won't be resigned unless it's to fill a hole cheaply.  Hargrave, Sanders and Bradberry are going to be too expensive.  CJGJ is going to be expensive but may be worth it.

Depending on how Gannon thinks Nakobe Dean is ready to start, White or Edwards may not be resigned, although, I'd really like them to bring Edwards back.

Weird article.  Our draft picks count as part of the 'spree'?  Every team has draft picks, my man.

I also don't understand this narrative that the Eagles went 'all in'.  They did not.  Reddick was a big signing for sure, but those other guys were not.  Suh and Joseph were late signings because they're basically retired and just want a ring.  The other guys were mid-level signings that we knew could play a role on this team.  Nobody was beating down Zach Pascal's door.  

I think Howie will do his best to get guys signed this off-season, and we've got 2 1s to fill in gaps.