Who Will the Chiefs Play on Thursday Night Football for Season Opener?

AlpineEagle

Chiefs Season Opener  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Opponents

• Buffalo Bills
    • Chicago Bears
    • Cincinnati Bengals
    • Denver Broncos
    • Detroit Lions
    • Las Vegas Raiders
    • Los Angeles Chargers
    • Miami Dolphins
    • Philadelphia Eagles

Screw this stupid topic and screw Andy Reid. Not in mood for this. Ask this later on like weeks or months from now.

1 hour ago, AlpineEagle said:

Chiefs Will Play on Thursday, September 7, 2022 for Thursday Night Football Opener

I think it will be the Bengals:

It's a logical opener for the Chiefs as it's a rematch of the last two AFC Championship Games.

I suspect CBS will get the rematch with the Bills and FOX will get the Super Bowl rematch with the Eagles (that I think will be a full national telecast seen everywhere on FOX).

Chargers I suspect will be a Sunday or Monday night game.

I say Eagles, but Bengals would be a good one too.  I wouldn't be surprised if the one not selected between Eagles and Bengals doesn't become the Sunday Night Football game in week 2.

On 2/13/2023 at 11:31 PM, xzmattzx said:

I say Eagles, but Bengals would be a good one too.  I wouldn't be surprised if the one not selected between Eagles and Bengals doesn't become the Sunday Night Football game in week 2.

Eagles likely will be saved for most likely a Week 8 game at 4:25 PM ET on FOX that goes to the entire country (no blackouts anywhere or other FOX games in that time slot). 

One caveat with who the Chiefs open with:

The situation with Aaron Rodgers could play into that, as I suspect since the Chiefs have nine home games this year (Eagles being the extra home game), the NFL could have the Chiefs scheduled to be at home for Weeks 1 & 2 as while they will be home no matter what in week 1, I suspect the NFL will have two scenarios for the prime time games in Weeks 1 & 2 where if Rodgers is traded to the Jets and that it is known the Pack will trade Rodgers as soon as it's less of a cap hit for them to do on June 2 by the time the schedule has to be released, the Jets will play the Sunday night opener at home against the Eagles with the Eagles otherwise opening at home on Sunday or Monday night against the Vikings (depending on whether the Phillies would let the Eagles play SNF in Week 1) with whichever Eagles game is NOT the Week 1 game being the Week 2 game (if the Eagles home opener against the Vikings were to be Week 2, that would be for the second year in a row an ABC-only MNF game as ESPN and ABC have separate Monday night games that week)

What I suspect happens is the NFL has two versions of the schedule reflecting the possibility of Rodgers being traded to the Jets, with for example the Chiefs between Weeks 1 & 2 have the Bills and Bengals at home with one the Thursday night opener and the other the main 4:25 game on CBS in Week 2 with two sets of Thursday night games where a handful are moved around if need be depending on whether Rodgers is with the Jets and the Eagles open against the Jets in Week 1 in The Meadowlands on SNF if Rodgers is with the Jets (as that would be his official Jets debut) or the Eagles play at the Jets in Week 2 as most likely the main FOX singleheader game if Rodgers is not with the Jets.  

Can I take my vote back? I quickly chose Buffalo, but Buffalo opened at LAR on TNF in 2022. Not going to be them. I'd say Bengals or Chargers. I don't think they'd do a SB rematch on opening night.

On 2/24/2023 at 12:03 PM, toolg said:

Either Super Bowl rematch, Eagles; or AFCCG rematch, Bengals.

I suspect the Chiefs will have the Bills and Bengals in Weeks 1 & 2 at home.  Which team plays the Chiefs when depends on how the Aaron Rodgers situation plays out because I believe it will have a direct bearing on who plays when in Weeks 1 & 2.

I suspect the NFL will have two sets of schedules reflecting their playing the Bengals if Aaron Rodgers is NOT traded to the Jets (with the Eagles opening at home against the Vikings, most likely on Monday Night Football UNLESS Major League Baseball specifically asks the NFL not to schedule the Eagles at home at all in Week 1 in case Citizens Bank Park is needed for the Phillies to make up a game previously rained out that day) OR if Rodgers signs with with the Jets, the Eagles opening in The Meadowlands against the Jets and then playing the Vikings in a Week 2 Monday nighter (ABC only since ESPN and ABC have separate Monday night games in Week 2) with the Chiefs opening against the Bills at home and playing the Bengals in Week 2.

One other possibility is the Chiefs open against the Bills in Week 1 (allowing CBS to air the AFCCG rematch with the Bengals as possibly a full national 4:25 PM ET game in Week 2) and the Eagles opening in The Meadowlands in Week 1 against the Jets on SNF (as the Jets will likely have a huge upgrade at quarterback) regardless and then open at home in Week 2 against the Vikings in an ABC-only Monday night game. 

As said, I suspect the Eagles-Chiefs game will be Week 8 at 4:25 PM ET on FOX as a full national telecast.