Lovie Smith (ex-Texans HC) -- Defensive Coordinator

judunno

We need someone that knows what they are doing for once. No more inexperienced learning on the job folks that will cost us in the biggest game.

• Like 3

I'd be good with this. I think they do need an experienced DC to come in and just run this defense. Let Sirianni work and focus on the offense with the new OC.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd be good with this. I think they do need an experienced DC to come in and just run this defense. Let Sirianni work and focus on the offense with the new OC.

The logic doesn't compute to me of having inexperienced guys as Coordinators. They go through all that pain of Fn up on our dime to only ultimately leave. Rather have an experienced guy that we don't have to go through growing pains as the DC when possible. When he leaves he leaves.

• Like 2

Yep- get an established D coord- and stop taking risks on unknowns, where you always pay for it badly in the end. Not sure I want Lovie, but definitely agree with getting a KNOWN commodity here. 

Im not opposed to Lovie Smith but Gannon was setting this team up to run a little different than a traditional 4-3. Lovie’s zone scheme would drive the fans fing nuts. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, judunno said:

The logic doesn't compute to me of having inexperienced guys as Coordinators. They go through all that pain of Fn up on our dime to only ultimately leave. Rather have an experienced guy that we don't have to go through growing pains as the DC when possible. When he leaves he leaves.

I'm good with promoting from within if that's the right move for the team. But it has to be the right move for the team. And I get your point I do. 

No one with experience or opinions on how things should be ran will want to come here.  This team is still managed the way that ran Doug out of here.  These coaches don't want to be micromanaged by Howie. 

Why does Lovie Smith get so much hype as a DC? Yes he had a few really good defenses but he’s had just as many horrible ones.

He’s been a DC or head coach for 16 years, and in that time he has only had 5 seasons where his defense has been top 10.  In 6 of his seasons his defense has been 21st or worse. So basically he’s had more years where the D was in the bottom third of the league than he has in the top third. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 3:28 PM, nipples said:

Why does Lovie Smith get so much hype as a DC? Yes he had a few really good defenses but he’s had just as many horrible ones.

He’s been a DC or head coach for 16 years, and in that time he has only had 5 seasons where his defense has been top 10.  In 6 of his seasons his defense has been 21st or worse. So basically he’s had more years where the D was in the bottom third of the league than he has in the top third. 

Love his experience and his defenses are killer when he actually has some talent to work with. His defenses also tend to get a lot of turnovers as well which is what we need in this day and age of run and gun offenses where defenses can barely hit anyone.

On 2/16/2023 at 9:14 PM, judunno said:

Love his experience and his defenses are killer when he actually has some talent to work with. His defenses also tend to get a lot of turnovers as well which is what we need in this day and age of run and gun offenses where defenses can barely hit anyone.

I will agree with this. His defenses have always been disciplined, tough, and instinctual. But with Lovie’s defense (cover 2) the middle linebacker has to be elite imo not sure if Edwards is that LB but he could be. I think Lovie is aligned everywhere else with what the eagles like with the basics of the game. Originally I did not like the idea but starting to sound better and better

• Like 1