Roseman to make 'big push' to keep key defender: report

time2rock

Roseman to make 'big push' to keep key defender: report

howie Roseman's offseason trade for C.J. Gardner-Johnson paid off in a big way for this year's elite Eagles defense, and it sounds like the Birds' GM wants to double down on the safety's contributions.

With the Super Bowl looming, Roseman will soon have a number of decisions to make to try and keep his roster at the top of the NFL mountain.

On Super Bowl Sunday, NFL Network insider Mike Garafolo reported that Roseman has his sights set on one player in particular:

"The one guy I do expect Roseman to make a big push to keep: Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. When he plays on defense that defense has swag, and they talked about long-term goals when they acquired him."

This came after Garafolo explained the uncertainty surrounding veteran players Fletcher Cox and Brandon Graham, and running back Miles Sanders.

I'm not surprised Roseman wants to keep Gardner-Johnson around. While his situation in New Orleans seemed to deteriorate because he was unhappy, the unhappiness was largely contract-oriented. If the Eagles are wiling to pay the man the money he's undoubtedly earned this year, that won't be an issue. And otherwise, Gardner-Johnson has been a model Eagle this year. He brings an energy and a play-making ability to the defense, and at 25 years old he's just entering his prime.

It won't be cheap to keep Gardner-Johnson in midnight green. I don't think his money will ascend to the truly elite range at the safety position - guys like Jamal Adams, Derwin James, or Minkah Fitzpatrick - but I'd imagine he'll be just a cut below. Budda Baker signed a four-year, $59 million contract at age 24 in 2020 with Arizona that could be informative on a potential CJGJ deal.

My guess is that Gardner-Johnson returns next year on a big-money deal while Roseman moves on from some long-tenured Eagles to make room. But we will see!

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-rumors-eagles-will-make-big-push-keep-cj-gardner-johnson

I'd agree given his age and position that CJGJ should be one of the main focuses this year. I think he is a really good fit for this defense and they did trade for him just a year ago. Appreciate they didn't give up a ton for him but it also wasn't all that insignificant. 

5 years 63 million. 31 guaranteed.  Marcus Epps can go test free agency and then  allow Blakenship and a draft pick battle it out for the SS spot.   Johnson Slay and Blakenship Avonte is going to keep this DB room fine. Marcus was pretty terrible tackling this year and that’s what he was known for. Blakenship is far more physical and stays in position while still attacking the ball smartly. Dean gives us great LB play and upgrades the speed and sure tackling.  I think some of our backups deserved to be playing over the starters but they didn’t want to mess with the lineup because it was winning regardless