Brian Branch (Alabama Safety/Nickel) — DRAFTED BY DETROIT #45

Aerolithe_Lion

6’0    190

Ran a 4.58 at the combine, similar time to Ed Reed, slightly slower than Malcolm Jenkins’ 4.53 who was a similar nickel/at-the-line safety.

I think he’s an excellent combination of football IQ, tackling ability, and inside pass coverage: Tight Ends, WR slants, or just a fixture at the slot position. Additionally, I think he would make an excellent blitzing DB with his athleticism and instincts.

Edit: 10 is way too high but I think he’ll be gone by 30. If we move down from 10 or move up from 30, somewhere in the 15-25 range is probably his sweet spot.

12 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

At 30? Sure

At 10? F that!

I’m with you - if he develops into Jalen Pitre, cool… but Jalen Pitre was taken in the 2nd.

I personally think Branch is a candidate that falls to the bottom or out of the first round. Branch is the best of a solid safety class. But with the 4.58 40 yard dash I think that hurt his stock a little bit. He definitely plays fast on tape and that speed is good for a deep safety but for a player that is likely to play nickel as well that speed will be a challenge. 

I know Ed Reed ran 4.6 but Ed Reed was one of the best or if not THEE best deep safety the NFL has seen. Branch is a different type of player on tape. I personally would not want the Eagles to take him at 30. If they do, hey I hope he is great lol

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not high on Branch. Not at 10. But he will be drafted before 30 and never make it to the 2nd round. The knock on him is average speed. I also don't see a lot of video on him covering WR's in a 2 deep look or any other for that matter. 

Agreed with above, if the Eagles trade back from 10, pick up a 3-4 and select him at 15, I'd be happy about that.

1 hour ago, jsdarkstar said:

I'm not high on Branch. Not at 10. But he will be drafted before 30 and never make it to the 2nd round. The knock on him is average speed. I also don't see a lot of video on him covering WR's in a 2 deep look or any other for that matter. 

Agreed with above, if the Eagles trade back from 10, pick up a 3-4 and select him at 15, I'd be happy about that.

He plays the Star position which in mind is closer to a LB/SS than a NB/FS, so not a ton of experience reading deep or really playing a ton of man... a lot of smaller underneath zones, which he excelled at.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, judunno said:

He’s a really good player but I think the organization views S like they do RB. They just don’t value the position and are not going to sign an RB or a S to a 2nd contract. Best case scenario and Branch turns into an All-Pro, I just don’t see the team spending $15-16m a year on a Safety on his 2nd contact. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The more I see the Branch the more I like his game. But there is no shot they draft him in round 1. This is a solid safety class so they can get value on day 2.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 10:06 AM, jsdarkstar said:

Well he made it to the second round. Doubt he makes it to the Eagles pick in the second though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nipples said:

Well he made it to the second round. Doubt he makes it to the Eagles pick in the second though. 

Yeah not sure he will either to be honest but hey who knows what might happen. He could slide a few more and Howie could go up and get him.

4 hours ago, nipples said:

Yup.  I'd love to see him as an Eagle, but it's not gonna happen.  We had a choice between Branch and Smith at #30.  Unfortunately, we can't have everything.

5 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

Yup.  I'd love to see him as an Eagle, but it's not gonna happen.  We had a choice between Branch and Smith at #30.  Unfortunately, we can't have everything.

I agree it is unlikely but just because they took Smith over Branch doesn’t entirely rule it out. I don’t think Howie will do it but he still could.