Bears trade #1 overall to Panthers for DJ Moore and picks

Procus

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35830753/bears-trading-no-1-overall-pick-panthers-haul-includes-wr-dj-moore-sources-say

I'm reading a lot of boot licking of Ryan Poles for this trade, but from where I'm sitting, the Bears pulled the trigger way too soon.  Only got a single extra first round pick with some lower picks in return, plus DJ Moore - who's a good, but certainly not elite receiver.  Time will tell on this one.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 11:38 PM, Procus said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35830753/bears-trading-no-1-overall-pick-panthers-haul-includes-wr-dj-moore-sources-say

I'm reading a lot of boot licking of Ryan Poles for this trade, but from where I'm sitting, the Bears pulled the trigger way too soon.  Only got a single extra first round pick with some lower picks in return, plus DJ Moore - who's a good, but certainly not elite receiver.  Time will tell on this one.

I think this is probably a rare trade that looks great for both teams.  If you look at the value calculator it works out to be pretty close to being even on picks alone.  For the Bears, they get DJ Moore for free.  Moore is not elite, but he's the best on the Bears by far and also has a good cap number.  For the Panthers, now they get their pick of QBs over all the other QB needy teams.  Reich gets to pick the best QB in the draft while giving Colts the person he doesn't want.  

I think the Bears made this trade for next year. If Fields does not take the next step, I think the Bears are positioning themselves to take QB in 2024. It may be why they made the trade now, rather than wait and possibly miss out on picking up an extra first for next year. Poles and Eberflus did not draft Fields so they may end up moving on if he does not progress.

They just acquired Moore, traded for Claypool last year and Mooney is a very good #3 WR. I think they are going to try and build up the talent around him on offense this year and try to leave little to no excuse for anything short of significant improvement from Fields.

A  lot of Bears fans are partying over this like they won the SB.  I would have waited closer to draft day to stoke up a bidding war.  What's the upside of pulling the trigger too soon?  Bears may have been played on this one.

One of the Bears' biggest weaknesses is lack of playmakers. DJ Moore helps fix it immediately, at least on paper. There are a ton of holes on the roster so the extra picks help too. Their best hope was to trade away #1 overall for more picks. They got 1st- and 2nd-round picks this year, plus a future 1st and a future 2nd in the deal. Maybe they get more picks if they had waited... But I doubt it.

This looks to me like a great trade for the Bears. A weapon for Fields and a real chance to build that roster up again.

2 hours ago, toolg said:

One of the Bears' biggest weaknesses is lack of playmakers. DJ Moore helps fix it immediately, at least on paper. There are a ton of holes on the roster so the extra picks help too. Their best hope was to trade away #1 overall for more picks. They got 1st- and 2nd-round picks this year, plus a future 1st and a future 2nd in the deal. Maybe they get more picks if they had waited... But I doubt it.

They netted one extra lower slotted 1st - it's not like they received two extra number 1 picks for this trade.