Mock Offseason Cause I Thought It'd Be Fun

Mrkingofspades

The goal is to get a couple pieces to try and get back to the Super Bowl, without going after the major big names in Free Agency, that means a few mid-tier level signings on defense mainly, and bringing in some special teams contributors to help improve that aspect of the team. The offense is pretty much in tact, with only a few minor pickups here. 

Let's start with restructures:

Darius Slay - Looking for them to figure it out money wise and have him back on more guaranteed money.

Lane Johnson - Same thing here, just creating some cap space.

Re-sign

CGJ - Key piece to the back end of our defense moving forward, need him back I think.

Zach Pascal - Cheap deal to be a solid backup

Brett Toth - Another cheap deal to be a depth piece.

Tj Edwards - I'd like to think they keep Edwards over White in this scenario and get Dean more involved as that coverage guy. 

Cut:

Siposs

Josh Sills

Free Agency

DT Dre'Mont Jones - An interior pass rusher who is 26 and still has some upside. Reminds me a bit of Hargrave here, taking the bet on the upside. Davis, Jones, and Williams are a good rotation on the interior mixed in with a rookie. 

LB Elandon Roberts - Could see this being the move if Edwards walks too, but he's a guy that offers a little of everything and can rush the passer from the inside. Also a pretty decent special teamer. I think he'd just be a pretty solid signing. 

RB Alexander Mattison - About 2 and a half mil a year might get it done, he's a bigger back with some flashes, but injury is a concern. Only two fumbles in his career and is still young. Pairing him with Gainwell might make for a nice backfield.

OL Hjalte Froholdt - I remember Stout being in on him during that draft season, has a couple of decent seasons, more of a band-aid to replace Seumalo in case Driscoll doesn't cut it or gets injured. I'd look to bring in a rookie however as he's just a bridge player.

QB Joe Flacco - Honestly not many cheap backups and I think Flacco would take decent money and he's been here before. Also just nice to have a vet with Hurts to help develop a backup type in camp.

P Thomas Moorestead - He's decent but at least an upgrade over siposs. Just a bit better for special teams.

WR Richie James - Upgrading the special teams as he has some experience there. Also a decent slot/role type receiver. Had a decent year with the Giants for what he is. Not crazy money, but some solid depth with Quez disappointing he could take the slot role and offer some competition for returns.

S Jeremy Reaves - Depth at safety, but mainly for his special teams. This signing is heavily meant to help out on special teams. 

S Marcus Epps - I think he sits on the market for a bit and they bring him back on a fairly cheap deal just so they don't have a hole at safety. Might compete with Blankenship moving forward, however. 

Free Agent Recap

With this Free Agency, I think they get a couple pieces with upside in Jones and Mattison, as well as some much needed special teams help with guys like Roberts, James, and Reaves. After using fanspeaks cap manager I think after this FA I was left with about 6mil in rollover. 

NFL DRAFT

TRADE: Eagles trade Round 1 (10) to Pittsburgh for Round 1 (17), Round 2 (49), and 2024 7th round pick.

Round 1 (17) - CB Devon Witherspoon: Physical DB with potential to play multiple positions in the secondary and is tone-setter. Philly would love his attitude on defense.

TRADE: Eagles trade Round 1 (30) to Patriots for Round 2 (46), Round 4 (107), and Round 4 (135)

Round 2 (46) - DL Calijah Kancey - Freak of an interior rusher, lining him up next to Davis, or going rush heavy with him next to Dre'mont would be incredible. Not sure he would be here, though as he tested off the charts at the combine and a team could fall in love with those numbers.

Round 2 (49) - EDGE Felix Anudike-Uzomah - Reminds me a lot of BG and who better to learn from? Great at strip sacks, good mix of power and quickness, very similar to Robert Quinn and BG and he can learn from both if Quinn stays. 

Round 2 (62) - OL Steve Avila - Solid pass protecting guard, but might not be as good as Seumalo was in the run game. Stout should be able to coach him up.

Round 3 (94) - WR Parker Washington - Terrific slot guy. I'm not sold on Quez, and with James just being a role player, Washington could easily become a volume catcher. 

Round 4 (107) - QB Dorian Thompson-Robinson - A lot of similarities to Hurts, a guy that works his ass off. Huge arm, a lot stronger than Hurts. With all of the hits Hurts takes in the run game, having a guy with a similar mentality as the backup is going to be good moving forward. Can also learn a lot from Flacco in camp.

Round 4 (135) - RB Roschon Johnson - Averaged 5 - 6 yards per carry as backup to Bijan. Could be the bigger back the teams been looking for. Could pair well with Gainwell and take over for Mattison at some point. 

TRADE: Eagles send Round 7 (219) and 2024 MIN 5th round pick to TB for Round 6 (196)

Round 6 (196) - TE Davis Allen - Big body TE with the potential to be a decent blocker and receiver. 

Round 7 (248) WR Nikko Remigio - Fresno State loved this kid, the playmaking ability is there as a receiver, but this guy is a special teams ace. He had 3 TD on kick/punt returns in college and is a natural as a returner. The Eagles desperately need help on special teams.

Offseason Recap

I think this offseason definitely keeps the Eagles in contention for a championship run. I think pumping in guys at the receiver position is the way to go, as I'm not sold on Quez or the rest of our depth and Paschal has his limitations. The draft keeps the pipeline theme going as Witherspoon is ready to take over for Slay, Uzomah for BG, Kancey for when Dre'Mont's contract expires, and adds a couple pieces on offense to mold and develop. Adding Remigio as a special teams contributor is also key here, as the special teams improves with James competing with Remigio and Roberts and Reaves handling the defensive side of the special teams game. I think we also make a minor improvement at punter. The big signing here is obviously Dre'Mont, but it's a similar situation to the Hargrave signing as you're banking on upside. Roberts adds some versatility as a rusher. 

This was for fun basically, nothing too serious. Hope at least someone gets a good read out of this.

Given the cap situation I think your free agent signings are wildly out of whack.

I like the trades and both are viable. Nice job. 

Witherspoon and Kancey look like they'll be the highest rated players are their most needed positions. 

With BG coming back, Reddick and Sweat in the fold and Janarious Robinson battling for a rotational spot I don't like the DE inthe 2nd. I'd rather a safety (Battle) or a RB (Charbonnet).

Love the Avila pick. 

The 3rd day isn't my cup of tea. I'd rateher a punter instead of another WR since you resigned Pascal and drafted Washington.  I'd also like a backup center (Forsythe) instead of a tight end which we have absolutely no need for with 7 on the roster. 

Thanks for the read - I did enjoy looking it over and seeing how it fit with my thinking. 

FA isn’t going to work under our current cap situation, but I do like the depth signings there. Dre’Mont will get a nice contract given the DT market, and Epps signed with the Raiders on a decent deal that we couldn’t have matched.

Don’t think Kancey lasts that long outside of top 35 picks given how many DTs were on the move this offseason. I had him going 36 to us in a trade up with the Rams, but not sure that’s even realistic lol.

Love the rest of the draft picks outside of Allen, who is a non-athletic TE that doesn’t offer much versatility.

Check out my LFG draft if you can!