Lukas Van Ness (Iowa EDGE) -- DRAFTED BY GREEN BAY #13

Ray75

0EE500D2-D0BB-4D24-A61B-61EBA4DC91EF.jpeg

6’5” / 272 lbs

Van Ness is strong and physical at the point of attack, Iowa also used him up and down the defensive line, so he can play multiple spots as well.

He is just a little raw and while having outstanding power is inexperienced and only has a limited array of pass-rushing moves

Size is a big part of the equation for a versatile prospect like Van Ness. He’s pretty explosive with great build-up speed and foot quickness. 

Power and a quick first step are the biggest parts of Van Ness’ game, but he has much more in his physical toolbox. He just needs to work on them.

He would probably fit best as an end in a 4-3 defense but could occasionally kick inside on passing downs.

Pro comparison: 

Van Ness reminds me of guys like Trey Hendrickson and Carl Nassib with a touch of Aiden Hutchinson.

• 2 weeks later...

don’t know that i would be happy with him at 10 but a trade back to the 15-17 ish range would have him moving towards the top of my list 

Having the 10th overall pick, you have to have a list of 10 players you’d be willing to take.  My guess is he is one of them.

I’m not sure he’d be on my list. He’s a good player but there’s just something that I’m unsure of. I think he’s going to be a decent pro but with a limited ceiling.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 11:15 PM, Cheesteakitis said:

don’t know that i would be happy with him at 10 but a trade back to the 15-17 ish range would have him moving towards the top of my list 

That would be an ideal scenario; trade down a couple of spots and pick van Ness or someone like Smith etc

On 4/7/2023 at 6:51 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I’m not sure he’d be on my list. He’s a good player but there’s just something that I’m unsure of. I think he’s going to be a decent pro but with a limited ceiling.

I believe it’s the complete opposite.

This kid has all the tools, characteristics and work ethic to become a fenomenal player in the NFL He just needs to put it all together…

Your banking on untapped potential and a very high ceiling here…

While I see a Zack Allen / Trey Hendrickson type of player, others see a more raw Aidan Hutchinson and there are even teams and scouts out there who believe this kid has the potential to become a JJ Watt kinda player at the next level.

On 4/6/2023 at 7:17 PM, time2rock said:

Having the 10th overall pick, you have to have a list of 10 players you’d be willing to take.  My guess is he is one of them.

Completely agree. All based on projection, untapped potential…

11 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Your banking on untapped potential and a very high ceiling here…

For someone who wasn’t a starter in college I think that’s such a risk.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

For someone who wasn’t a starter in college I think that’s such a risk.

It’s not about what he did in college, nor whether he was a starter or not, with van Ness it’s all about projection, what he can be at the next level. The potential is there, he’s just raw and inexperienced. We have the infrastructure and the vets in place to help him reach his potential. From what I’ve heard, he’s a good kid with a great work ethic.

Worst case scenario; his ceiling is similar to Zack Allen’s.

Best case scenario; he turns into a Trey Hendrickson, poor man’s Watt type of player.

I would not be mad if they flat out take him at #10.

Too much risk with him at 10 IMO. Yeah he could reach full potential, but strikes me as workout warrior and decent, not great player. Drop down near 20 and I’ll be ok, but better more sure things at 10

Watching Kayvon Thibodeaux in college at Oregon I was not that impressed and then he gets picked in the first round at #5 by the Giants. Between training camp and 3/4 of last season he was ok but still learning. He came on late in the year and watching those last few games you could see the difference in his game. I have not seen Van Ness at all but reading about him this off season he seems to be going up the draft board. Rosebud will take chances even in the first round so would not surprise me if he was selected at 10 or at a trade down in the teens. He won't last long. 

• Like 1