Eagles Mock Draft (04-08-2023)

Ray75

With less than 3 weeks to go, in all likelihood one of my last mocks. 

I narrowed the Eagles board down to 3 OT’s, 1 DT with off the field concerns and two completely different pass rushers. Sorry but I just can’t see them taking a RB or DB with the 10th overall selection. Sure, if a team wants to come up for a specific prospect, Howie will definitely entertain the offer. For now though, I think they’ll stick and pick at #10.

Draft;

1) Lukas van Ness, Edge, Iowa;

Young, great character/personality, terrific work ethic, upside, versatile and pass rusher…what’s not to like?!

Trade alert!

Eagles trade pick #30 to the Washington Commanders for pick #47, #97 and #118 .

2) Cody Mauch, OT, North Dakota State;

Injured OT but Eagles can redshirt him and let him watch and learn from Lane.

2) Marvin Mims Jr., WR, Oklahoma;

A speedy WR to challenge Watkins…

3) Jaquelin Roy, DT, LSU;

Possibly Davis running mate for the next half decade…

3) Christopher Smith II, S, Georgia;

Finally a safety…

4) SirVocea Dennis, LB, Pitt;

LB depth…

7) Deneric Prince, RB, Tulsa;

RB depth…

7) Jake Andrews, OG, Troy.

OL depth…

• Like 2

I’d be happy with these results! 

I like the upside and versatility of Van Ness.

Mauch I think fits right in with our oline.

Ive heard good things about Mims, but I haven’t watched him play much.

Would like this draft!

• Thanks 1

ness is solid and i don’t think i would be screaming if we drafted him but would love to trade down a little and grab him though i know that gets tricky

one other interesting thing i noticed looking over the last few years we put together for people we scouted  we only drafted two of the players (last year) zero the year before… so as much as i like it the odds of hitting all 4 of you first picks don’t look to great 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cheesteakitis said:

ness is solid and i don’t think i would be screaming if we drafted him but would love to trade down a little and grab him though i know that gets tricky

one other interesting thing i noticed looking over the last few years we put together for people we scouted  we only drafted two of the players (last year) zero the year before… so as much as i like it the odds of hitting all 4 of you first picks don’t look to great 

That’s definitely true…probably just how the board fell…but what do we know?! 

If Eagles meet with someone, doesn’t always mean they’re interested drafting the kid in April. Maybe meeting didn’t go that well (remember Darius Guice?!), maybe it’s just due diligence for the future (FA, trade etc).

Beyond the first round it’s anyone’s guess. First round though…it’s always O-line, D-line, occasionally a WR and very sporadically a QB or CB. So…I would be shocked if it’s anyone other than Paris Johnson Jr, Peter Skoronski, Jalen Carter (wouldn’t surprise me if they already took him off their board, though), Broderick Jones, Nolan Smith (more of a trade down target) and Lukas van Ness.

But hey, if they take a corner like Witherspoon or Gonzalez or one Bijan Robinson…you won’t hear me complaining…I just can’t see it happening…

2 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

That’s definitely true…probably just how the board fell…but what do we know?! 

If Eagles meet with someone, doesn’t always mean they’re interested drafting the kid in April. Maybe meeting didn’t go that well (remember Darius Guice?!), maybe it’s just due diligence for the future (FA, trade etc).

Beyond the first round it’s anyone’s guess. First round though…it’s always O-line, D-line, occasionally a WR and very sporadically a QB or CB. So…I would be shocked if it’s anyone other than Paris Johnson Jr, Peter Skoronski, Jalen Carter (wouldn’t surprise me if they already took him off their board, though), Broderick Jones, Nolan Smith (more of a trade down target) and Lukas van Ness.

But hey, if they take a corner like Witherspoon or Gonzalez or one Bijan Robinson…youn won’t see me getting mad…I just can’t see it happening…

I don’t see a reason to take Carter off the board… times are changing but in my opinion young men have been racing for a long time.. i think he will definitely learn from his mistake and he has massive amounts of talent… if drugs or alcohol were involved it would be a totally different conversation 

3 minutes ago, Cheesteakitis said:

I don’t see a reason to take Carter off the board… times are changing but in my opinion young men have been racing for a long time.. i think he will definitely learn from his mistake and he has massive amounts of talent… if drugs or alcohol were involved it would be a totally different conversation 

It’s not just about the racing and I can definitely understand what the young man has been through and that it affected his pro day. We all make mistakes when we’re young. I all get that…

It’s the other things that worry me. His worry ethic, unwillingness to get coached hard, the fact that he wasn’t honest and open about the incident, not meeting up with teams picking outside of the top 10, rumors teams have already taken him off their boards, him not interviewing well…

All mayor red flags if you were to ask me..

Ask yourself the question; would you trade up for a guy into the top 10 if that kid doesn’t even want to meet up with you?!

Not saying Carter is going to be a bust or that he isn’t worthy of a top 10 pick. Heck, IMO he’s the best player in the draft but you simply can’t deny there are legitimate concerns.

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

It’s not just about the racing and I can definitely understand what the young man has been through and that it affected his pro day. We all make mistakes when we’re young. I all get that…

It’s the other things that worry me. His worry ethic, unwillingness to get coached hard, the fact that he wasn’t honest and open about the incident, not meeting up with teams picking outside of the top 10, rumors teams have already taken him off their boards, him not interviewing well…

All mayor red flags if you were to ask me..

Ask yourself the question; would you trade up for a guy into the top 10 if that kid doesn’t even want to meet up with you?!

Not saying Carter is going to be a bust or that he isn’t worthy of a top 10 pick. Heck, IMO he’s the best player in the draft but you simply can’t deny there are legitimate concerns.

will be interesting to see what happens still on the top of my board i would consider trading as high as 6th for him.

9 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

will be interesting to see what happens still on the top of my board i would consider trading as high as 6th for him.

Me too but you have to be comfortable with the off field stuff and character concerns…

From a positional and talent perspective he’s literally the perfect prospect for us.

Really happy with the trade and first 3 rounds. One of the best I’ve seen

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Really happy with the trade and first 3 rounds. One of the best I’ve seen

Really appreciate it, my friend.

Wondering what makes this so good in your eyes cause I was thinking majority would hate it if it plays out this way.

For some reason I believe most Eagles fans would not be on board with the selection of van Ness at #10 or an injured O-lineman in the 2nd.

For me it’s just another scenario. Would not truly hate it nor would I be ecstatic about it.

11 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Wondering what makes this so good in your eyes cause I was thinking majority would hate it if it plays out this way.

Van Ness can play outside and move inside ala BG. Among college players, he had the highest pressure percentage last year. The starter issue is smoke - he played a majority of the snapos after seniors started. Nickname Hercules. 

I see Mauch battling Jurgens for the RG spot this year. He's be a nice mauler to pair with Sickerson. 

Of all the picks, I like Mims the least. He's not big, not fast, and not for me. 

Roy - Greg Cosell raves about him. His motor, strength and get off are primo. Greg thinks he cold be the #1 tackle in this draft when looking back in a couple years. 

Chris Smith will turn out to be the safety we need.  ilike the Georgia connection. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Really appreciate it, my friend.

For some reason I believe most Eagles fans would not be on board with the selection of van Ness at #10 or an injured O-lineman in the 2nd.

For me it’s just another scenario. Would not truly hate it nor would I be ecstatic about it.

i haven’t seen that Mauch is injured maybe i’m missing something FWIW i’ve seen a couple of mocks with him going end of round 1 

Ness while if he was the pick i would love to trade back 14-17 and select him ive seen him go as high as 6th recently 

2 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

i haven’t seen that Mauch is injured maybe i’m missing something FWIW i’ve seen a couple of mocks with him going end of round 1 

Ness while if he was the pick i would love to trade back 14-17 and select him ive seen him go as high as 6th recently 

I thought I read something about an injury but it’s probably nothing cause I can’t find anything about it on the entire internet. 

Ideally you find a trade down partner and still come up with van Ness. Tricky cause I get the feeling he’ll go top 15 anyway.

2 hours ago, Infam said:

Nothing to get overly excited about, but this feels very.. real. Nice one!

Agreed but let’s keep it real; this is a bad year to have a top 10 pick. Very, very mediocre class. Some position groups are deep but this class counts only 3 blue chip prospects IMO. A solid haul will do…